• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D CPU Burns Up

Associate
Don't trust those temperature specifications, i think perhaps they are under pressure from people like Nvidia because they have difficulty keeping these very fast memory IC's under 100c during normal operation, this especially during the mining boom when almost all GPU's vendors reduced their warranty from 3 years to 2 years.

Its not a question of the memory IC's burning out right away, but rather that the days of GPU's lasting 5 years +, even 10 years with daily use.... are long gone. Now they are expected to last 3 years.
I don’t trust them which is why I’ve done what I could to reduce those temperatures.

Caporegime
Indeed. Unless the issue is Intel related, then you might have to wait for 6-7 generations before they fix the hardware.

That's a little below the belt @jigger so far the brand war has been moot in this thread, lets keep it that way :p Its nice when that's not a thing in one of these threads :)

Last edited:
Associate
New beta bios for msi out dated 28th of April, I didn't notice it the other day so posting incase anyone else hadn't seen it either. Note I had to go to the UK MSi website then to downloads and start navigating through to my motherboard. Weekend/holidays I think has meant link is not in all the right places just yet.

Version7E10v162(Beta version)
Release Date2023-04-28

• Description:
    - By following the mitigation from AMD, fix CPU SoC voltage upper limit for Ryzen 7000X3D and non-X3D series CPU, which might affect the performance of certain EXPO memory modules. - Support 48/24GB high density DDR5 memory module

Hopefully we start to see these fixes come out of Beta soon

Caporegime
The few of you wanting this to be an AMD problem i have this.... AMD's AGESA has its own menu with in the BIOS, using that sets the correct voltages, using the Asus menu doesn't.

So the raw AGESA code is correct, Asus then manipulated that and got it very wrong, also, other than one BioStar motherboard all the others, Gigabyte, MSI, ASRock..... all also set the correct voltages.

This is entirely on Asus.

Kudos to Steve Burke so far in properly identifying the problem.

ZY6tIVM.png

Caporegime
I don't know if all of you watched the whole video, statistically most of you didn't.

I'm near the end of the video and something relevant here.

AMD is offering to replace CPU's killed by this issue, even if EXPO was turned on (This normally voids warranty) AMD will also pay for shipping both ways for at least the US, this isn't even AMD's fault so kudos to them for that.

Last edited:
Soldato
At least that sounds like it might be fixable with a BIOS update.
I see ASRock have recently released a new BIOS with update AGESA in too for the X670E Steel Legend (didn't check the others). Not sure if that's related to these issues or if there just happened to be a new AGESA released and ASRock updated the BIOS to use it.

I guess the one silver lining to all this with regards to it affecting the lifespan of the CPU is that people keep on about the upgrade path of AM5 compared to the Intel platform, so it seems like a lot of people don't plan on keeping the CPUs that long anyway. Not so good for those buying 2nd hand I guess...

Soldato
Buying into the first gen of a new architecture is a risk, always has been. Generally, the second iteration fixes most things. A lot of the bugs will be fixed with firmware updates, hopefully without gimping performance. Time will tell how bad the problem actually is.
Apparently AM4 didn't have any issues upon release, or so I'm told.

Associate
I don't know if all of you watched the whole video, statistically most of you didn't.

I'm near the end of the video and something relevant here.

AMD is offering to replace CPU's killed by this issue, even if EXPO was turned on (This normally voids warranty) AMD will also pay for shipping both ways for at least the US, this isn't even AMD's fault so kudos to them for that.
That's good, while it doesn't sound like there fault they need to get ahead of this because, 2 weeks ago when I was deciding CPUs it was just about price and value for money, now it's oh AMD CPUs are a ticking timebomb.

As someone who has been out of the loop for a long time it is a bit concerning that EXPO (and presumably defaults put in by the board partner) is put of warranty. I get it because AMD can't test all the Ram but pretty much every DDR5 ram stick will need to be adjusted in some way because the default is so low.

Associate
This whole situation is really putting me off my very near AMD / ASUS build. i am actaully considering going intel now, crazy times. will give it a month or two to see what happens but very glad i waited tbh

Caporegime
Right, exactly

Its up to the motherboard vendor to set the correct guided voltages set out by AMD, AMD will allow way beyond what's considered safe, this is nothing new nor is it unique to AMD, its for hardcore overclockers.

Usually board vendors have an LN2 mode, or something similar to unlock voltages that are not safe for normal day to day use, if people unlock that and set such voltages on an AIO that's on them if it goes bang, if motherboard vendors set these voltages automatically just because you set a high XMP that's bad coding on the motherboard vendors side.

If AMD are going get the blame for that they might just lock it all down in the AGESA code, no one wants that....

Right, i have finished watching it, that ^^^^^^ concern is indeed how AMD are reacting to this, they are locking the SoC voltages down, its like "You can't be trusted to play nice with your toys, so we are taking your toys away" yeah, thanks Asus.

Soldato
Right, i have finished watching it, that ^^^^^^ concern is indeed how AMD are reacting to this, they are locking the SoC voltages down, its like "You can't be trusted to play nice with your toys, so we are taking your toys away" yeah, thanks Asus.
Surely if Asus were the only ones not playing nice with their toys they'll be the only ones affected and it shouldn't really affect us as users (other than hopefully protecting our CPUs)?

Soldato
As someone who has been out of the loop for a long time it is a bit concerning that EXPO (and presumably defaults put in by the board partner) is put of warranty. I get it because AMD can't test all the Ram but pretty much every DDR5 ram stick will need to be adjusted in some way because the default is so low.

Isn't it the same for Intel/xmp?

I share your frustration though. It annoys me that they get to market these products via the tech media running at these speeds, and yet they don't cover the warranty in this configuration? High time an end was put to this.

Associate
Isn't it the same for Intel/xmp?

I share your frustration though. It annoys me that they get to market these products via the tech media running at these speeds, and yet they don't cover the warranty in this configuration? High time an end was put to this.
Probably, I have no idea this is all new to me, my last build before this one was 2011 I think.

But having over researched watching lots of reviews I not once did I come across anyone saying running ram at advertised speed will likely void your warranty. So it's either such common knowledge that nobody bothers to mention it or tucked away in the small print.

Caporegime
Surely if Asus were the only ones not playing nice with their toys they'll be the only ones affected and it shouldn't really affect us as users (other than hopefully protecting our CPUs)?

Well Steve tested other motherboard vendors and the only other one doing the same thing was BioStar, all others, MSI, Gigabyte, ASRock.... set the correct voltages.

Asus BIOS programming quality is right up there with BioStar. Nice...

You're right, Take the toys away from Asus, and BioStar, as they can't be trusted, but as the head of a partnership try disciplining just one of your partners like that. Its got to be global, but we should all know who caused it.

Soldato
Well Steve tested other motherboard vendors and the only other one doing the same thing was BioStar, all others, MSI, Gigabyte, ASRock.... set the correct voltages.

Asus BIOS programming quality is right up there with BioStar. Nice...

You're right, Take the toys away from Asus, and BioStar, as they can't be trusted, but as the head of a partnership try disciplining just one of your partners like that. Its got to be global, but we should all know who caused it.
But if the others weren't doing anything wrong, this won't affect them surely?

Back
Top Bottom