• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D CPU Burns Up

Associate
If you are not going to test for stability, does it even matter ?

It hasn't crashed yet, therefore its stable. Is not a valid metric.
I guess you missed my previous posts.
My system was running fine for my use case for almost a month and since I lowered voltages of soc and mc it crashes every day.
Every time it happens I’m upping voltage of both by 0.01v

Man of Honour
My system was running fine for my use case for almost a month and since I lowered voltages of soc and mc it crashes every day.
Every time it happens I’m upping voltage of both by 0.01v
You would have only had the 7800X3D for about 2 weeks at the most, so nowhere near a month or months as you said in a previous post.

RAM stability is linked to the IMC on the cpu and will vary from chip to chip, so you cant just throw existing timings at a new cpu and expect them to be stable because they were before on a different chip.

Mem overclocking/tweaking is a long, laborious process of changing a settting - Testing for stability - change a setting - test for stability ...................

Its not a copy and paste thing.

Last edited:
Associate
You would have only had the 7800X3D for about 2 weeks at the most, so nowhere near a month or months as you said in a previous post.

RAM stability is linked to the IMC on the cpu and will vary from chip to chip, so you cant just throw existing timings at a new cpu and expect them to be stable because they were before on a different chip.

Mem overclocking/tweaking is a long, laborious process of changing a settting - Testing for stability - change a setting - test for stability ...................

My apologies you are right I didn’t have it for almost a month but 19 days.
And I don’t understand why are you talking about new cpu.? I ordered cpu, motherboard and memory all at the same time so there is no be cpu.
I’ve been using this cpu since 12th of April and it was running perfectly fine until I lowered Soc and mc voltages. Why is it so hard to believe.?
Also it’s no longer stable using XMP profile as I don’t use manual tunning anymore.

Last edited:
Caporegime

Preach.

This is why I'm so reluctant to give advice and share memory overclocks on forums like these.

Because users don't test it (stability) properly and then blame the CPU when inevitable problems eventually occur.

Associate
Preach.

This is why I'm so reluctant to give advice and share memory overclocks on forums like these.

Because users don't test it (stability) properly and then blame the CPU when inevitable problems eventually occur.
I feel like I’m talking to a wall.
My machine is crashing when using XMP profile not your suggested timings Matt.
It did not do it before I lowered Soc and mc voltages.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I feel like I’m talking to a wall.
My machine is crashing when using XMP profile not your suggested timings Matt.
It did not do it before I lowered Soc and mc voltages.
Ah, so you did test stability prior to switching back to XMP? We both know you didn't, so please lets stop messing about. :p

Caporegime
You've never heard of OS corruption from unstable overclocks?

Yeah that is a thing, sometimes it can also happen with the BIOS, simply undoing something that didn't take, or even F5'ing it after it goes wrong often leaves behind BS, sometimes if you're struggling to get everything tickety-boo again it calls for the last resort, short the CMos and take the battery out for 10 minutes.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
What has that got to do with my system crashing now.?

Because your system was never FULLY stable, and you didn't test it thoroughly.
Lots of small OS errors will build up overtime, and at a certain point the OS will say ' Thats enough ' and fully crash.

The soc voltage change could just be co-incidence or the final error that broke the camels back has happened.

You have done the exact same thing you are complaining about AMD doing in this thread - Assuming something is working fine - until it doesn't ( Lack of testing )

Last edited:
Associate
You guys say it like it can’t be the Soc voltage causing instability and trying to blame everything else.
Asus didn’t just put a random voltage value in the bios but they did it to increase compatibility with various memory kits.
Yes it was a bad and lazy way to do it but they did it for a reason.
I bet I’m not the only person suffering from instability from lowered Soc voltage, in fact I know there is at least one more user on this forum saying the same thing.

Associate
So, had my 7950x3d rig powered down for around a week or so, while I waited for the dust to settle. Inspected the CPU/socket, no signs of damage, even when tilting at angles under light as per

I had probably around 30 hours gaming on the system in total, as was only using for games and had my 13900k system for work/VR.

Updated my x670e Hero to v1401 today. SOC voltage before (was on V1002 bios) was 1.354v. After update to v1401, it's 1.252. Both were using EXPO on my Corsair 32GB 6000Mhz C30 kit.

Now it's time to go back to gaming, with maximum frame rates at crazy low power levels.
Similar soc voltage to my 7800x3d + x670e-f, the soc voltage was 1.35v with 1101 bios and 1.25v with 1202 / 1303 bios.

I upgraded on 20th April, but haven't got time to play games, only ran cinebench few times and played few games for few minutes each to check performance.

I had a bsod yesterday after turned the expo back on, but all good today, anyway I won't be worry so much about instability :)D:cry::p) as upcoming new bios should address the issue.

Caporegime
You guys say it like it can’t be the Soc voltage causing instability and trying to blame everything else.
Asus didn’t just put a random voltage value in the bios but they did it to increase compatibility with various memory kits.
Yes it was a bad and lazy way to do it but they did it for a reason.
I bet I’m not the only person suffering from instability from lowered Soc voltage, in fact I know there is at least one more user on this forum saying the same thing.

You see my response to that would be, is, don't buy Asus motherboards.

I've been saying that for a while.

Associate

I probably won’t after this mess up. I’ve been buying their motherboard because I like how their bios is laid out and also how they look.
Also this time they seemed to be good value compared to other but I guess now we know why.

Caporegime
The trouble is, Asus make damn good boards and have some nice BIOS extras that make it worthwhile IMO. They do have a habit of throwing too much voltage though.

I was not aware of this but saw it posted elsewhere it looks like Z690 had issues on Asus too.

Last edited:
Soldato
It seems Asus aren't alone in having issues though, based on the GN video. Asus was the worst of the ones tested, but they only seemed to test Asus and Gigabyte, so who knows what ASRock and MSI are like if put through the same testing. They also made it sound like there is some fault at AMD's end, so they'd all be affected by that.

I'm sure you can find someone that dislike each of the brands and probably someone that swears by each of the brands...

It's a minefield with possibly no right answer.

Caporegime

well seeing as its happening on msi boards as well that wont help. asus have has for years had a overvolting issue with auto ai overclocks. the key thing is just dont buy amd buy intel and have a simple life. :D

Associate
I`m kind of glad my RAM isn`t coming until next Monday as I haven`t bought a motherboard yet, I wasn`t going to get an Asus anyway due to the LAN problem but this just puts to bed any thoughts I might have had on an Asus board.
i've been running the ram at motherboard stock speed the whole time (4800mhz) when the time is safe to up it to its rated speed 6000mhz i wonder what fps % improvements i will will get in games. its something to look forward to

Back
Top Bottom