• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D CPU Burns Up

Permabanned
Disabled EXPO.

Can't see any of these burns happening on B650 (even though Gigabyte pulled some BIOS updates), and seems exclusive to X670, predominately Asus boards. Not saying that's the case, just what I'm seeing.

Kinda reserved about lowering voltages. Wouldn't lowering them cause stability issues?

Last edited:
Soldato
Just manually set your voltages, easier and better safe than sorry.

I've got two rigs setup, 13900k/z690 hero and 7950x3D/X690e Hero, so I've just swapped my 4090 strix over to the 13900k for now, and unplugged the AMD system.

Manually setting voltages is 99.9% likely to be safe, though I'd rather wait for the official fix and spare myself the extra time tinkering.

Will take a thorough look at my 7950X3D pin pads this weekend, to see if any kind of heat/scorch damage to the pads in question, as in the der8auer video etc.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I've got two rigs setup, 13900k/z690 hero and 7950x3D/X690e Hero, so I've just swapped my 4090 strix over to the 13900k for now, and unplugged the AMD system.

Manually setting voltages is 99.9% likely to be safe, though I'd rather wait for the official fix and spare myself the extra time tinkering.

Will take a thorough look at my 7950X3D pin pads this weekend, to see if any kind of heat/scorch damage to the pads in question, as in the der8auer video etc.
Yeah, I plan on doing the same thing, I got some new fittings coming for my CPU water block, so need to drain the system and get the block off, might as well check the pads and pins at the same time.

Soldato
EXPO, AMD screwed the pooch. GPU's ******, now CPU's. Someone needs to be fired.

And best of all, if you use expo = warranty voided. So for the next while anyone trying to RMA a dead x3d is gonna have extra scrutiny applied to see if expo or overvolting is suspected. That guy on Reddit who's 7800x3d got lucky that gamers nexus bought it from him for because Asus/amd declined warranty due to using expo

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
And best of all, if you use expo = warranty voided. So for the next while anyone trying to RMA a dead x3d is gonna have extra scrutiny applied to see if expo or overvolting is suspected. That guy on Reddit who's 7800x3d got lucky that gamers nexus bought it from him for because Asus/amd declined warranty due to using expo
LOL, im not using EXPO, ive manually set mine to 6000mhz, 2000mhz FLCK and all related voltages, and manually set all my timings including subtimings or rather Buildzoids easy DDR5 timings, are they going to argue that if something goes wrong ?, because if they ask me if I used expo, the answer will be no and id advise anyone faced with the same question to say no too, tell them everything was manually set especially after the news of these issues arose.

Last edited:
Soldato
LOL, im not using EXPO, ive manually set mine to 6000mhz, 2000mhz FLCK and all related voltages, and manually set all my timings including subtimings or rather Buildzoids easy DDR5 timings, are they going to argue that if something goes wrong ?, because if they ask me if I used expo, the answer will be no and id advise anyone faced with the same question to say no too, tell them everything was manually set especially after the news of these issues arose.
Most consumers will not have a clue.
The basic informed will always click XMP/EXPO profiles. I bet this group barely goes onto TPU or whoever regarding news. Their potential RMA will likely include them saying "I used EXPO". I am not entirely sure if a CPU box notes these features void warranty, because they certainty should.

Associate
ASUS x670e-f, 7800X3D, G.Skill 6000 c30 Neo. Turned off EXPO for now…

Maximums shown in HWiNFO :
EXPO on, CPU SOC = 1.385V

EXPO off (Auto), CPU SOC = 1.048V

I’ve not run any lengthy stress testing luckily

So I guess this is actually dodgy profiles in the actual RAM then?

Associate
ASUS x670e-f, 7800X3D, G.Skill 6000 c30 Neo. Turned off EXPO for now…

Maximums shown in HWiNFO :
EXPO on, CPU SOC = 1.385V

EXPO off (Auto), CPU SOC = 1.048V

I’ve not run any lengthy stress testing luckily

So I guess this is actually dodgy profiles in the actual RAM then?

Not so much dodgy profiles - EXPO spec (if you can call it a spec) calls for up to 1.4v on SoC. However it seems no one has actually confirmed what is a safe voltage, or at least properly tested it long term on a variety of CPU's, in particular the newer X3D CPUs.

AMD are now actually working on this to properly determine what would be a safe setting when it comes to overlocking - and remember that is the primary issue here, AMD spec for SoC is 1.05v....no more, no less. EXPO is some half assed spec for overclocked RAM modules on AMD Ryzen 7000 series processors.

EXPO spec is actually overclocking the RAM, the CPU memory controller and overvolting SoC - which I believe has always been a potential issue with any 7000 series CPU but on the new X3D variants it looks to be a lot more sensitive to SoC voltage and the failure rate has increased dramatically.

Zen 3 chips were very sensitive to SoC voltages, and anything above 1.2v was considered unsafe and could kill the CPU. Why Zen 4 all of a sudden is any different and was thought to be able to handle 1.4v, i don't know - i think there has been some miscommunication going on here between AMD, motherboard manufacturers and RAM manufacturers. Some how 1.4v was now deemed acceptable and with non X3D chips the failures have been few, but there have been CPUs failing - just not many. X3D chips have just highlighted an already existing problem to the point it's now exploded across the internet and they can't ignore it.

Soldato
This all reminds me why I don't like being the first to buy anything new. Should be a relatively easy fix though if it's just a matter of reducing voltages. Iirc XMP also invalidates warranty as it is classed as overclocking.

Soldato
I take it a non-X CPU is even less likely to have this issue since it's half the watts? Or is it the same chance as it's the same SoC voltage and will still maybe need a BIOS fix?

Seeing as non-X parts have been reported to fail under the same circumstances, we can at least assume the inherent problem impacts both product lines and we can expect AMD to work with partners to ascertain what is a safe level of voltage, particularly with higher frequencies where current demands can increase.
Not so much dodgy profiles - EXPO spec (if you can call it a spec) calls for up to 1.4v on SoC. However it seems no one has actually confirmed what is a safe voltage, or at least properly tested it long term on a variety of CPU's, in particular the newer X3D CPUs.

AMD are now actually working on this to properly determine what would be a safe setting when it comes to overlocking - and remember that is the primary issue here, AMD spec for SoC is 1.05v....no more, no less. EXPO is some half assed spec for overclocked RAM modules on AMD Ryzen 7000 series processors.

EXPO spec is actually overclocking the RAM, the CPU memory controller and overvolting SoC - which I believe has always been a potential issue with any 7000 series CPU but on the new X3D variants it looks to be a lot more sensitive to SoC voltage and the failure rate has increased dramatically.

Zen 3 chips were very sensitive to SoC voltages, and anything above 1.2v was considered unsafe and could kill the CPU. Why Zen 4 all of a sudden is any different and was thought to be able to handle 1.4v, i don't know - i think there has been some miscommunication going on here between AMD, motherboard manufacturers and RAM manufacturers. Some how 1.4v was now deemed acceptable and with non X3D chips the failures have been few, but there have been CPUs failing - just not many. X3D chips have just highlighted an already existing problem to the point it's now exploded across the internet and they can't ignore it.

EXPO in itself is a compatibility list created by AMD and memory vendors. What the memory vendor programmes into SPD on the modules can depend on the platform. Certain memory kits may define SOC voltage manually if the memory vendor thinks a certain value is likely to help. This can be hit and miss, especially as platforms and firmware mature. As an example, some memory vendors were predefining some rails on Intel to levels that were actually hurting stability.

Most of the time, the predefined parameters on SPD are strictly for VDIMM, memory timings and key sub-timings (and of course frequency). With memory frequency, SOC voltage will always scale to assist with stability unless a manual voltage is set, the value for which is defined by motherboard auto rules. These rules will now change under AMD guidance (some already have).

The conflation comes from blaming EXPO when in fact the issue can arise from simply overclocking no matter which way this is done. A fact that might be more obvious to some users than others.

Last edited:
Soldato

You sure your not confusing soc voltage with ram voltage?

Associate
Good thing i've waited a few days to see all this. I have an Asus board and they have just released a new BIOS, though it is a Beta, that caps the voltage of the SoC to 1.3v

I have a 7600 non x and have ovclocked this using the PBO2 and Curve Optimiser while increasing the frequency to 5.3 and as far as HWiNFO shows me i haven't exceeded 1.279v

I have also tightened my timings up with Buildzoid's recommendations on his youtube channel for the Fury Renegade kit which is a 6000 CL32 32GB kit, but got some GSkill 6000 CL30 32GB kit on hand to swap over, his recommendations have worked so far and that you also state the voltage and FLCK and a whole host of other things than let EXPO do it's thing.

Associate
I re built my rig last Friday 21st with a 7800x3d, Asus Strix x670e and 32Gb (2x16Gb) Corsair c30 6000Mhz ram.
I naturally updated my bios to the then current 1104, Set Expo I and PBO and that was it, I left everything else on auto.

I was really impressed with the 7800x3d as it was boosting nicely to between 4.9/5.2Ghz, I have a custom loop cooling the CPU only.
The Vcore never went above 1.25 which I thought was really good, the temps never went above 52c under heavy gaming load.

After reading this thread on Sunday 23rd, I checked my SOC voltage and it read 1.41! I quickly checked for the bios update and downloaded the now current 1202.

After the update I noticed the Vcore was showing 1.15 and SOC was 1.05 also so I re set Expo I and PBO but this time manually set my SOC to 1.15, VDDIO 1.15 and Dram to 1.38, Vcore has been removed so I can't tweak that.

After booting in I've noticed that my Vcore is still around 1.25 peak but my SOC is now 1.17 & Dram to 1.39, I've also noticed I'm only boosting to 5050Mhz peak and my temps have dropped to 48c peak, which is nice.

I will monitor my systems health and check daily for bios updates, I'm loath to drain down and check the CPU, it's a bit of a pain.

Thank you OP for bringing this up so quickly.

**EDIT**

Just seen there is a new Beta update 1301. I'll wait till it's out of Beta before I update again.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom