• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D CPU Burns Up

Associate
I've got an Asus X670E extreme and 7950x3d build almost finished, just need to pressure test and fill the loop...

What should my steps here be? Obviously update bios is number 1 but is there anything I can do to limit the scope of failure? Can/should I manually set the various voltages?

Also, if the board or CPU do die because of this, presumably OCUK will handle the replacement and I won't have to go through AMD/Asus?

Soldato
OP
I don't recall it being in the media until it started happening with the X3D chips. If it did happen, it was quite a small number.
It's still quite a small number when you think about how many chips they sold, I think it was first noticed when the first 7800X3D went pop, then everyone started checking their chips, it just a big thing because let's face it, if it was just 1 they would probably just brush it under the carpet, but as it's a few it's made headlines in the tech world, and become something that must be fixed, I'm sure AMD and board partners don't want to have to eventually replace everyone's CPU and motherboard.

Last edited:
Associate
I've got an Asus X670E extreme and 7950x3d build almost finished, just need to pressure test and fill the loop...

What should my steps here be? Obviously update bios is number 1 but is there anything I can do to limit the scope of failure? Can/should I manually set the various voltages?

Also, if the board or CPU do die because of this, presumably OCUK will handle the replacement and I won't have to go through AMD/Asus?
I'd run it all stock - not OC'ing. I've rolled back all my Mem and CPU clocks till they have either fixed via BIOS code or decided they need to take other action.

Last edited:
Associate
As someone planning to build a new PC today with a 7600X and MSI B650 board, I'm a little worried although it does seem to be a bit more prevalent with X3D CPUs and Asus boards. Would you guys think I'm likely safe with these and leaving everything stock? I imagine the safest advice is wait until a new bios comes out that's out of beta etc. although I have a pile of parts sat there ready to be built and I'm very keen to do it. I'd been reading about all this the last couple of days but previously thought it was only the new 3D CPUs with the issue until now.

Soldato
OP
As someone planning to build a new PC today with a 7600X and MSI B650 board, I'm a little worried although it does seem to be a bit more prevalent with X3D CPUs and Asus boards. Would you guys think I'm likely safe with these and leaving everything stock? I imagine the safest advice is wait until a new bios comes out that's out of beta etc. although I have a pile of parts sat there ready to be built and I'm very keen to do it. I'd been reading about all this the last couple of days but previously thought it was only the new 3D CPUs with the issue until now.
We'll look at it this way, I'm running an Asus board with a 7900 and I'm using overclocked settings on my ram, granted I've hard set my voltages but it seems this isn't enough, however, me along with a shed load of other people are still using our systems, we've not just switched them off and put them away in a cupboard somewhere to collect dust until the issue is fixed, so really it's up to you, but there's a lot more working chips than there is killed chips.

Soldato
Am I an idiot for putting my plans to build AM5 on hold for a month or two?

I've got everything together except case, motherboard, CPU and PSU... I feel bad for leaving half a PC on my desk, but also I don't want to build, then have a string of these burn events continue to make the news and eventually be told that there's a fundamental hardware flaw that might surface later on and leave me waiting on a replacement part for unknown lengths of time.

It's not everyday that we see parts self-immolate (well, if we ignore those nvidia power cables) so I'm not quite sure how to react. Definitely dented my confidence in the platform a bit...

Associate
The problem has been found with non X3D chips.
Seems like the X3D chips are more fragile though. I was considering upgrading to AM5 with the 7800X3D but this has put me off, I'll probably wait until Zen 5 now with rumors it will be released early next year.

Man of Honour
Things need to be put into some sort of perspective.

Gamers Nexus, by their own admission had to force and actively try to trigger the failure and it took a lot of effort even though they new what to look for.

We have had possibly 10 failures from Reddit, OcUK alone sold/pre-sold 500 units in April ( approx figures from Gibbo ) - so if the entire Reddit community worldwide bought them from Overclockers - thats a failure rate of 2%.

I'm not saying this situation is acceptable, but you can estimate the likelyhood of it happening are pretty slim.

All hardware has a failure rate.

(I'm currently building a 7800X3D and Asus B650E-E pc at the moment, we'll see if this post has jinxed me :D )

Last edited:
Soldato
I would just buy per

I'd personally run the EXPO profile (assuming your ram has it), and just manually set SOC. Alternatively if you set everything to do with your ram manually then you don't need to change any voltages (aside from DDR).

Back
Top Bottom