• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD RYZEN 7 aka ZEN NOW AVAILABLE TO PRE-ORDER!

Associate
Then wait until Intel releases its 6C core Coffee Lake CPUs at the end of the year,there will be more price movement. You need to care about current pricing since AMD is pricing relative to Intel and as long as AMD gets reasonable IPC,the R7 1700 is 32% of the price of the Core i7 6900K. You need to be reasonable. There is a picture of a company offering an entire R7 1700 build for the price of a Core i7 6900K CPU ALONE in the US.

Consider this too - the R7 1700 comes with a stock cooler which the K series don't have,and unless you really want to push an overclock(or don't overclock) the motherboards will still be cheaper than the socket 2011 ones.

Unless Ryzen fails in the IPC department(is less than say Haswell for example),its the biggest change in CPU pricing for a very long time.

I think you need to consider AMD is on record saying almost all their R and D spend was on Zen in the last two to three years(IIRC) and it means they even slowed down in the GPU area to accommodate that(which explains the last few releases since the R9 290 series).

So,basically they are hedging on Ryzen making decent money - so you can't expect them to price it for absolute peanuts and make hedges for a 20% devaluation in the pound otherwise they will become bankrupt. They are already massively undercutting Intel as it is.

If its too expensive you need to wait until Intel responds or look to buy a secondhand R7 1700 at some point.

No because I don't see you going into Intel threads all the time saying the same in the last week??

Nope.

So basically you are saying you have an entitlement complex and want to ON PURPOSE ignore the pricing of the £1000 Core i7 6900K,or the 20% devaluation in the pound since it does not fit your argument.

This is exactly what happens in the GPU section - I still remember some people moaning on how the HD5870 was too expensive for a ATI/AMD card,etc yet on purpose ignored the GTX285,etc.

You deflected on purpose once I pointed out that the R7 1700 would have been £270ish already if it were not for the pound devaluation.

The best thing with people like you is to buy secondhand or behind the curve - every new CPU release is going to make you sad then.

Or better still buy a Core i7 6900K!! :)

Edit!!

I think I know what you and your mate are trying to do here.
I did the wrong thing replying.

Don't waste your time on them. When someone lacks logic, it's like talking to a brick wall.

Soldato
Don't waste your time on them. When someone lacks logic, it's like talking to a brick wall.

I mean I have even non-gaming mates who are looking at the Ryzen R7 1700 with interest - I was shocked as I thought one of them really did not follow hardware,but he knew enough about Ryzen.
He needs more threads for his work,and for him the prospect of a £320ish 8C/16T is far more exciting than a £1000 8C/16T Intel jobbie,especially since he does not overclock so a cheaper motherboard would do.

OFC,I advice people wait for reviews first just in case it has poor IPC(but I doubt it),but everything is pointing to more like Haswell level at least. I am sure everyone would love if an R7 1700 was £250,etc but AMD has done enough and its for Intel to now respond(or not respond).

Edit!!

We can see what happens with a weak AMD to CPU progression - if they go belly up,then £175 Core i3 7350K CPUs will be the least of our worries,and most of their losses have been on the CPU side for YEARS.

Soldato
Then wait until Intel releases its 6C core Coffee Lake CPUs at the end of the year,there will be more price movement. You need to care about current pricing since AMD is pricing relative to Intel and as long as AMD gets reasonable IPC,the R7 1700 is 32% of the price of the Core i7 6900K. You need to be reasonable. There is a picture of a company offering an entire R7 1700 build for the price of a Core i7 6900K CPU ALONE in the US.

Consider this too - the R7 1700 comes with a stock cooler which the K series don't have,and unless you really want to push an overclock(or don't overclock) the motherboards will still be cheaper than the socket 2011 ones.

Unless Ryzen fails in the IPC department(is less than say Haswell for example),its the biggest change in CPU pricing for a very long time.

I think you need to consider AMD is on record saying almost all their R and D spend was on Zen in the last two to three years(IIRC) and it means they even slowed down in the GPU area to accommodate that(which explains the last few releases since the R9 290 series).

So,basically they are hedging on Ryzen making decent money - so you can't expect them to price it for absolute peanuts and make hedges for a 20% devaluation in the pound otherwise they will become bankrupt. They are already massively undercutting Intel as it is.

If its too expensive you need to wait until Intel responds or look to buy a secondhand R7 1700 at some point.

No because I don't see you going into Intel threads all the time saying the same in the last week??

Nope.

So basically you are saying you have an entitlement complex and want to ON PURPOSE ignore the pricing of the £1000 Core i7 6900K,or the 20% devaluation in the pound since it does not fit your argument.

This is exactly what happens in the GPU section - I still remember some people moaning on how the HD5870 was too expensive for a ATI/AMD card,etc yet on purpose ignored the GTX285,etc.

You deflected on purpose once I pointed out that the R7 1700 would have been £270ish already if it were not for the pound devaluation.

The best thing with people like you is to buy secondhand or behind the curve - every new CPU release is going to make you sad then.

Or better still buy a Core i7 6900K!! :)

Edit!!

I think I know what you and your mate are trying to do here.
I did the wrong thing replying.

I'm not sitting here having argument with you. What I was saying is I'm going to wait for the price to come down because I'm not paying those current prices. That's my opinion. End of. If you got an issue with that then you need to come off your high horse. I wasn't asking for an English GCSE detail explanation about the devalue of the pound and CPU/GPU price history. If I wanted to know then I would have researched it.

I wasn't excepting a reply off you or anyone else, so you had no reason to reply.

Caporegime
I was thinking the same this morning. I know we are going through bad times with the pound but I cant help but think the 1700 should be £259.99 or £279.99 maximum. But for over £300...nah. I will wait a few months or until I go to the US later in the year.

Lol

Based on what?

Go on I'm ready to destroy any argument you may have :p

Soldato
Don't have time to read the entire thread(s) but quick question. Why does an AMD 8 core 1800X run at 4.0 which is the same as the old crappy Pilediver 8 core and the Intel 6900 only run at 3.2? Must admit, given the pricing I'm sceptical at the moment unless just very keenly pricing to get market share while disregarding profit potential.
Definitely looking forward to reviews as might have potential to use one.

Associate
As alternative to Europe Licking Special's. :rolleyes:

As for Ryzen's benchmarks which we will see on the 28th i really hope they are decent (as in the 1800x on par or better then the 6900k in most benchies).

As that would really pressure intel to make improvements or lower prices!:)

Back
Top Bottom