• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD RYZEN 7 aka ZEN NOW AVAILABLE TO PRE-ORDER!

Soldato
To be honest,Im not blown away at those prices,i think they're too expensive.

I was thinking the same this morning. I know we are going through bad times with the pound but I cant help but think the 1700 should be £259.99 or £279.99 maximum. But for over £300...nah. I will wait a few months or until I go to the US later in the year.

Soldato
Gibbo are pre-orders charged immediately or when they actually ship?

Put my order in yesterday and got the confirmation/email but the money doesn't seem to have left yet :S

Soldato
I'm going to hold off for a few reasons.

1. I don't know how well they overclock.
2. AMD Benchmarks aren't worth jack - unbiased youtubers/websites need to review them.
3. Intel will have a counter price wise.
4. Not many games use 8c 16t ? - correct me if i'm wrong.

I'm really REALLY happy that AMD appear to be back in the game though.

AMD invited some of the top unbiased youtubers/websites to their launch event so they could independently do all the tests themselves and validate that the test rigs hardware/settings were all legit.

Soldato
Maybe im the normal one,Ever thought of that....

No you are not normal - the Core i7 3770K you have was £240 when it was launched when the pound was 20% stronger:

https://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2012/04/23/intel-core-i7-3770k-review/1

Yet,despite the fact that Intel is selling 8C CPUs for £1000 and 6C CPUs for like £400,on what planet are you and your mates on when you say the pricing is dissapointing. If you feel that way about an 8C CPU for £320 you might as well not bother spending £240 on a Core i7 3770K which is more like £290 in todays money. You should have still been on a £100 Q6600.

You don't even seem to get that the pound has devalued by 20% meaning that the R7 1700 would have been £270ish and the R7 1700X just over £300 at the exchange rates at which you bought your IB Core i7.

I have no need for the 8C model,but when AMD is offering an 8C model for 32% of the price of the cheapest normal Intel 8C model,you still have people wanting to complain.

The 6C models should be under £300 anyway.

:rolleyes:

I was thinking the same this morning. I know we are going through bad times with the pound but I cant help but think the 1700 should be £259.99 or £279.99 maximum. But for over £300...nah. I will wait a few months or until I go to the US later in the year.
Another hilarious one - so AMD offers an 8C CPU with decentish IPC for not even 1/3 the price of the Core i7 6900K on cheaper motherboards,and yet you are still moaning about price.

What you don't seem to understand is that 20% devaluation of the pound has added £50 to the R7 1700 and £60 to the R7 1700X prices,ie,they would have been £270ish and £320ish respectively.

So YOU expect AMD to pay for the fluctuations in exchange rates.

Seriously what planet are some of you on - I would be happy if a top bin 4C/8T model is around £175 to £220ish,yet some of you want an 8C model for £250.

At this rate AMD should not bother making CPUs if they are expected to sell them for peanuts whilst people are paying £350 for an Intel quad core.

That is a 122.4MM2 die being sold for £350. Ryzen is going to be closer to 200MM2.

AMD spent most of its R and D in the last few years on Zen and even neglected the GPU side because of it - they need to make money on it otherwise they are screwed.

If you want to blame the "high" pricing of Ryzen then you need to look at Intel and what they have done.

AMD has done us a favour by aggressively positioning the 8C CPUs.

Last edited:
Soldato
Another hilarious one - so AMD offers an 8C CPU with decentish IPC for not even 1/3 the price of the Core i7 6900K on cheaper motherboards,and yet you are still moaning about price.

What you don't seem to understand is that 20% devaluation of the pound has added £50 to the R7 1700 and £60 to the R7 1700X prices,ie,they would have been £270ish and £320ish respectively.

So YOU expect AMD to pay for the fluctuations in exchange rates.

Seriously what planet are some of you on - I would be happy if a top bin 4C/8T model is around £175 to £220ish,yet some of you want an 8C model for £250.

At this rate AMD should not bother making CPUs if they are expected to sell them for peanuts whilst people are paying £350 for an Intel quad core.

That is a 122.4MM2 die being sold for £350. Ryzen is going to be closer to 200MM2.

AMD spent most of its R and D in the last few years on Zen and even neglected the GPU side because of it - they need to make money on it otherwise they are screwed.

If you want to blame the "high" pricing of Ryzen then you need to look at Intel and what they have done.

AMD has done us a favour by aggressively positioning the 8C CPUs.

I'm not expecting anything, I'm happy my 8320 in my 2nd computer. As I said, if I do then I wait or when Im in US again. Its better value for me for ME and I dont care anybody else or AMD's business side of things.

No point comparing AMD's new CPU's pricing compared to Intel's until we get some real world benching tests from the public.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm not expecting anything, I'm happy my 8320 in my 2nd computer. As I said, if I do then I wait or when Im in US again.

Then wait until Intel releases its 6C core Coffee Lake CPUs at the end of the year,there will be more price movement. You need to care about current pricing since AMD is pricing relative to Intel and as long as AMD gets reasonable IPC,the R7 1700 is 32% of the price of the Core i7 6900K. You need to be reasonable. There is a picture of a company offering an entire R7 1700 build for the price of a Core i7 6900K CPU ALONE in the US.

Consider this too - the R7 1700 comes with a stock cooler which the K series don't have,and unless you really want to push an overclock(or don't overclock) the motherboards will still be cheaper than the socket 2011 ones.

Unless Ryzen fails in the IPC department(is less than say Haswell for example),its the biggest change in CPU pricing for a very long time.

I think you need to consider AMD is on record saying almost all their R and D spend was on Zen in the last two to three years(IIRC) and it means they even slowed down in the GPU area to accommodate that(which explains the last few releases since the R9 290 series).

So,basically they are hedging on Ryzen making decent money - so you can't expect them to price it for absolute peanuts and make hedges for a 20% devaluation in the pound otherwise they will become bankrupt. They are already massively undercutting Intel as it is.

If its too expensive you need to wait until Intel responds or look to buy a secondhand R7 1700 at some point.

Its better value for me for ME and I dont care anybody else or AMD's business side of things.

No point comparing AMD's new CPU's pricing compared to Intel's until we get some real world benching tests from the public.

No because I don't see you going into Intel threads all the time saying the same in the last week??

Nope.

So basically you are saying you have an entitlement complex and want to ON PURPOSE ignore the pricing of the £1000 Core i7 6900K,or the 20% devaluation in the pound since it does not fit your argument.

This is exactly what happens in the GPU section - I still remember some people moaning on how the HD5870 was too expensive for a ATI/AMD card,etc yet on purpose ignored the GTX285,etc.

You deflected on purpose once I pointed out that the R7 1700 would have been £270ish already if it were not for the pound devaluation.

The best thing with people like you is to buy secondhand or behind the curve - every new CPU release is going to make you sad then.

Or better still buy a Core i7 6900K!! :)

Edit!!

I think I know what you and your mate are trying to do here.
I did the wrong thing replying.

Last edited:
Soldato
Just hovered over the ETA for all three chips, states 8th March now.

Maybe they've sold all their 2nd of march allocation.

Purchase orders placed Wednesday when the ETA was 2nd March should be fine as that's based on the first/latest (at the time) stock order. Now that they've probably sold 1000 Ryzen CPUs, another stock order has been placed so any new purchase orders placed will use stock from that new stock order with the date of 8th March.

Back
Top Bottom