• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD RYZEN 7 aka ZEN NOW AVAILABLE TO PRE-ORDER!

Soldato
We got 4.0GHz out of a 1700 today! :)
Seems they hit 3.9-4.1GHz when overclocked, so 1800X performance essentially, bargaintastic! Intel are doomed! ;)

How do those 1800x overclock though? If they can hit 4.5 GHZ easily enough then it would be worth spending the extra £100 for the clockspeed bump.

Looks like the 1700x is going to be a really nice gaming Cpu. Beating the pants of a 7700k in Gta.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdqIsqwDRig

If this is legit upgrading from my 3570k is a no brainer.

Soldato
How do those 1800x overclock though? If they can hit 4.5 GHZ easily enough then it would be worth spending the extra £100 for the clockspeed bump.

If this is legit upgrading from my 3570k is a no brainer.
Yes i'd also want something that clocks to the 4.2-4.5 range personally

Soldato
So presumably the 7700k will still be the top dog for purely gaming performance?

With games becoming more and more threaded i would take a Ryzen 8core/16threads v an Intel 4 core/8 threads as they are practically around the same price.

Yes i'd also want something that clocks to the 4.2-4.5 range personally

If the 1700 non x can get to 4.0ghz as Gibbo said they had done earlier, i am guessing that the 1700x should go further and again the 1800x further again. We shall see though.

Last edited:
Caporegime
1k604w.jpg

:p

Caporegime
With games becoming more and more threaded i would take a Ryzen 8core/16threads v an Intel 4 core/8 threads as they are practically around the same price.

If the 1700 non x can get to 4.0ghz as Gibbo said they had done earlier, i am guessing that the 1700x should go further and again the 1800x further again. We shall see though.

I think the 'chances' of going further than 4Ghz are probably increased, but not necessarily a higher threshold

Soldato
I think the 'chances' of going further than 4Ghz are probably increased, but not necessarily a higher threshold

I think there has to be something to it as 3 different chips all with the same spec but different clock speeds and prices. They would be mad to not have the 1800x be a better clocker as anyone with some common sense would just buy the 1700.

Associate
I think Gibbo said the 1800X reached 4.2/4.3 but you have to use a top end M/B. He used the Crosshair. The cheaper board's VRMs overheat. XFR O/Cs to 4.1 so there isn't much headroom.

The smart move may be to wait for the R5 6c/12t CPU if you're a gamer. Cheaper, probably better performance due to lower heat from fewer cores.

The problem is that it won't be released until April and I don't think there will be any reviews on the 2nd March.

Caporegime
I think Gibbo said the 1800X reached 4.2/4.3 but you have to use a top end M/B. He used the Crosshair. The cheaper board's VRMs overheat. XFR O/Cs to 4.1 so there isn't much headroom.

The smart move may be to wait for the R5 6c/12t CPU if you're a gamer. Cheaper, probably better performance due to lower heat from fewer cores.

The problem is that it won't be released until April and I don't think there will be any reviews on the 2nd March.

Not to question their knowledge but i do wonder if they are mistaking power limits as VRM thermal throttling, with XFR these work very differently to any other CPU, they should really be treated as GPU's when it comes to overclocking, somewhere in the BIOS may be power target settings that need to be turned up to allow the CPU to go beyond 95 Watts and clock higher.

Example, he said he struggled to get the 65 watt 1700 over 4Ghz, he also put that down to VRM throttling, yet the 95 watt one runs that out of the box.... the 1700 sounds like its constrained by its 65 Watt limit.

Soldato
If gaming is your primary use then don't, Gsync is superior to Freesync imo.

I suppose with it being a hardware solution then it just 'works'

But Ryzen looks like it has great potential for multi-threaded gaming :cool:

Freesync and Gsync are identical. Both have had issues over the last few months, so Gsync's implementation doesn't just 'work' - it's suspectible to driver issues also.

For reference, I own both a Gsync and Freesync system, and have used both a great deal :)

Associate
Not to question their knowledge but i do wonder if they are mistaking power limits as VRM thermal throttling, with XFR these work very differently to any other CPU, they should really be treated as GPU's when it comes to overclocking, somewhere in the BIOS may be power target settings that need to be turned up to allow the CPU to go beyond 95 Watts and clock higher.

Example, he said he struggled to get the 65 watt 1700 over 4Ghz, he also put that down to VRM throttling, yet the 95 watt one runs that out of the box.... the 1700 sounds like its constrained by its 65 Watt limit.
Did you not see this post by 8 pack? He did give advance warning! He 's also mentioned about requiring good quality VRMs.
Ryzen is on Finfet how well does RX480 OC ??.............those expecting these OC levels given its on that process really have zero clue.

If you want to argue about overclocking with him be my guest. Let me know when you're going to do it so I can get a ringside seat :p

Caporegime
Did you not see this post by 8 pack? He did give advanced warning!

8Pack has been making what seem like angry posts like that about Zen in the CPU room for a few days now, he also insisted no games scale with more than 4 threads and thats why the 7700K is better for games, i'm not the only one with a raised brow on that, he's been trying to flog his binned reject 7700K chips for £500 and all the talk about Zen can't be helping that.

So i don't take anything he says as absolute gospel, especially given the GTX 1060 is also built on 14nm FinFet and that clocks through the roof.
The problem with the RX 480 is not 14nm FinFet, its the RX 480.

Associate
8Pack has been making what seem like angry posts like that about Zen in the CPU room for a few days now, he also insisted no games scale with more than 4 threads and thats why the 7700K is better for games, i'm not the only one with a raised brow on that, he's been trying to flog his binned reject 7700K chips for £500 and all the talk about Zen can't be helping that.

So i don't take anything he says as absolute gospel, especially given the GTX 1060 is also built on 14nm FinFet and that clocks through the roof.
There was a rumour that the O/C wasn't great though. Doesn't that explain the pricing? AMD are a business not a charity.

The vast majority of games don't take advantage of lots of cores so he is correct in that respect and lots of people still play older games (back catalogue, steam sales etc).

Multi-core gaming will takeoff but like DX12 it's going to be a long process so as I said the 6c/12t might be the best bang-for-buck gamer CPU.

Associate
But the 1060 is Nvidia :D

The 1800X seems to be more like the Pascal 1080, clocked so high there is very little headroom before it reaches its ceiling. The lower down the range 1700 has more potential if you get a good one.

Caporegime
There was a rumour that the O/C wasn't great though. Doesn't that explain the pricing? AMD are a business not a charity.

The vast majority of games don't take advantage of lots of cores so he is correct in that respect and lots of people still play older games (back catalogue, steam sales etc).

Multi-core gaming will takeoff but like DX12 it's going to be a long process so as I said the 6c/12t might be the best bang-for-buck gamer CPU.

I agree with him, half way, i too think clocking will not be as high as KabyLake, but not to quite such an extent, and low threading performance being the be all and end all in games is also rhetoric that you'd think he should know better than to do, there is a slide in the Zen thread which disproves that, i may look for it and post it here....

Caporegime
I agree with him, half way, i too think clocking will not be as high as KabyLake, but not to quite such an extent, and low threading performance being the be all and end all in games is also rhetoric that you'd think he should know better than to do, there is a slide in the Zen thread which disproves that, i may look for it and post it here....

Across 15 or so games the lower clocked 6 core 6850K was faster than the higher clocked 4 core 7700K

lES29xT.png

Back
Top Bottom