1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AMD THREADRIPPER VS INTEL SKYLAKE X

Discussion in 'CPUs' started by faceman123, Jun 1, 2017.

1. muon

Capodecina

2. Kelt

Soldato

3. gavinh87

Wise Guy

4. humbug

Capodecina

Thats a very bad slide for AMD, the performance there is absolutely atrocious. thats really really really bad, there is almost no difference between the cheapest 6 core and the best 8 core indicating this program just doesn't scale at all with AMD, its only scaling with Mhz, not threads.
    Infact i suspect with this even the 4 core Ryzen 3 would look the same as the rest of the Ryzen chips.

If anyone ever wanted to drive home an agenda of how bad AMD's performance is this is the slide they would use as its little more than half as fast as Intel's old 8 core. that is bulldozer 2.0 if anyone was looking for such a thing.

5. pete910

Wise Guy

Don't tell me, they used intels compiler :p

Side note, it would be nice if they showed how they derived said benchmark, as in what they used compiler wise, flags ect

6. humbug

Capodecina

BINGO!!!!!!!!!!

7. faceman123

Hitman

bring on threadripper. drain the swamp amd. honeslty x299 is extremely disappointing

8. gavinh87

Wise Guy

Agreed, that program does not favour AMD at all.
    However this is a worst case scenario and my point would still stand. I could get the same performance using x2 desktops for the same amount of money.

9. N19h7m4r3

Sgarrista

Thing is, in Linux and GCC Ryzen doesn't have that issue. This is launch day reviews results and look how well it does there.
    I wonder what compiler Anandtech was using.

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=amd-ryzen-1700&num=4

[​IMG]

10. humbug

Capodecina

11. CAT-THE-FIFTH

Capodecina

12. Rroff

Caporegime

Gonna be an interesting story I think with some of the upcoming CPUs and inter-chip latency. For big data tasks it isn't too much of an issue but for stuff like gaming can be another matter.

EDIT: Oh they do actually touch on that later on in the article:

It is something people probably will want to keep a close eye on especially if they have multi die CPUs in mind for gaming.

In a slightly different and more complex way it is why you don't tend to see GPUs forever rehashing the same architecture with ever increasing SP counts.

13. N19h7m4r3

Sgarrista

It's the cause of RyZen's lower gaming performance as well, yet even with that competes well against Broadwell, despite lower clocks.

Here Skylake X is losing to Broadwell-E while being clocked much higher. It's like an IPC decrease in gaming nearly.

To think people and even Anandtech thought this new cache structure could provide nearly up to a 13% IPC increase. Yeah... So far it seems Skylake X only beats Broadwell-E in compute because of its drastically increased clock rates, and then losing in games despite higher clocks. So one can say a decrease in IPC nearly.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/11464...ng-18core-hcc-silicon-to-consumers-for-1999/3

Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
  14. =XDC=FluphyBunny

Mobster

So for 6 core wait for Coffee Lake and for multi-threaded wait and see what Threadripper brings.

Does that sound about right?

15. jaffveyda

Gangster

Nope, smash your head against a wall get concussion and order bundle twice expensive than AMD with little to no benefit at all. sarcasm off :)

16. N19h7m4r3

Sgarrista

If CoffeeLake brings some nice IPC gains and 6 cores, 12 threads, I wouldn't touch the lower end Skylake X chips at all.

Not with them performing worse in games than Broadwell and Kabylake

17. DragonQ

Mobster

Remember that code optimisations could improve matters, just as with Ryzen.

Why do people still expect IPC gains? It's a hex core Core i7-7700K.

18. Panos

Mobster

Your pricing is off.
    R7 1700 goes for £280. 7820K £600. That's more than double.

19. N19h7m4r3

Sgarrista

Since Intel was claiming improvements.
    Then again, they claimed the same with Kabylake over Skylake, and the only real difference was clocks.

20. Tom B

Gangster

Unfortunately it looks like Intel is hitting the limits of both frequency and IPC. I can't imagine we'll start seeing an improvement in single core performance until Intel move to 10nm