• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD THREADRIPPER VS INTEL SKYLAKE X

Soldato
mostly positive with statements like

"fastest consumer cpu on the planet" pc world

tweaktown mentioning how impressive it is Intel has increased peak flops eight times over four generations

or overclocked3d

"After all, if an 8/16 setup like that on the i7-7820X can push the i7-6950, then the sky is the limit. That's before we even consider the unknown capabilities of their 18 core monster waiting in the wings.""

Linus mentions several times how it is a very strong product and how it is a great product launch.
Yes it's a very strong product in terms of raw performance but it has thermal issues, power consumption issues, new cache design issues, cost issues... If AMD released this product you would be slating these things and you know it.

Associate
Yes it's a very strong product in terms of raw performance but it has thermal issues, power consumption issues, new cache design issues, cost issues... If AMD released this product you would be slating these things and you know it.

the biggest issue seems to be the bios updates, which most reviewers seem to have said have seen fixing things over the last few days, so I expect by the time motherboards land those niggles should be sorted.

power consumption is pretty much expexted, if you clocked down to 3.2ghz like a 1700 it would sip power as well, but as we know with kabylake getting several cores to 5ghz just isn't easy, but that's why I already settled on ordering a pre delidded one now the warranty is a year.

Soldato
the biggest issue seems to be the bios updates, which most reviewers seem to have said have seen fixing things over the last few days, so I expect by the time motherboards land those niggles should be sorted.

power consumption is pretty much expexted, if you clocked down to 3.2ghz like a 1700 it would sip power as well, but as we know with kabylake getting several cores to 5ghz just isn't easy, but that's why I already settled on ordering a pre delidded one now the warranty is a year.
You mean the same BIOS updates that Ryzen needed to improve things like RAM stability? The issues that caused you to label Ryzen buyers as "beta testers"? I suppose it's different when Intel's new platform is immature and needs BIOS updates though.

Also BIOS updates won't do anything about thermal, cost, or cache design issues. Maybe they will help the power consumption figures a bit, we'll see.

Associate
You mean the same BIOS updates that Ryzen needed to improve things like RAM stability? The issues that caused you to label Ryzen buyers as "beta testers"? I suppose it's different when Intel's new platform is immature and needs BIOS updates though.

Also BIOS updates won't do anything about thermal, cost, or cache design issues. Maybe they will help the power consumption figures a bit, we'll see.

bit of a difference here, considering it's a week before release and most of the issues seem to have already been sorted, and people can see these reviews before buying, where as amd already took people's money on orders before allowing reviews to go up...

Soldato
Isn't this just a return to how the CPU market used to be and when it was arguably at it's best? For raw performance at any cost Intel were always on top, it used to be that for a significant decrease in cost with AMD you would see a much smaller decrease in performance, that's when Intel were at their best was when they had to ensure they had balls out performance to justify their cost, while AMD quietly plugged away making solid CPU's at a highly attractive price point.

AMD coming back into the game is good for all of us, people who want to stick with Intel will get better chips (lets face it the performance increases have been garbage for years, It took an absolute age for my 2500k to be properly battered by newer Intel chips) and people who actually want a genuinely competitive AMD chip are getting what they want with Ryzen and Threadripper.

Must admit the i7 7820 looks like a bit of a monster and only 80 odd quid more than the Ryzen 7 8 core, as I currently have a 5930k i'm not looking to upgrade for a good while yet, but I'm looking forward to what threadripper has to offer.

Associate
Isn't this just a return to how the CPU market used to be and when it was arguably at it's best? For raw performance at any cost Intel were always on top, it used to be that for a significant decrease in cost with AMD you would see a much smaller decrease in performance, that's when Intel were at their best was when they had to ensure they had balls out performance to justify their cost, while AMD quietly plugged away making solid CPU's at a highly attractive price point.

AMD coming back into the game is good for all of us, people who want to stick with Intel will get better chips (lets face it the performance increases have been garbage for years, It took an absolute age for my 2500k to be properly battered by newer Intel chips) and people who actually want a genuinely competitive AMD chip are getting what they want with Ryzen and Threadripper.

Must admit the i7 7820 looks like a bit of a monster and only 80 odd quid more than the Ryzen 7 8 core, as I currently have a 5930k i'm not looking to upgrade for a good while yet, but I'm looking forward to what threadripper has to offer.

that's the short and sweet of it yes, well said.

Associate
bit of a difference here, considering it's a week before release and most of the issues seem to have already been sorted, and people can see these reviews before buying, where as amd already took people's money on orders before allowing reviews to go up...

AMD released cheese on toast, it gave people cheese on toast. Unfortunately, they didn't cover the entire piece of bread with cheese. My wife often makes this mistake, consistently placing the cheese so not to leave gaps is crucial.

Cheese on toast with some cheese is better than none at all, that's what I say and I stand by it.

Back
Top Bottom