• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD THREADRIPPER VS INTEL SKYLAKE X

Man of Honour
On site, we have our server room in the mill building. We have 2 sites that are effectively a mirror of each other, one in Kent, one in Birmingham. Ontop of this we have data centres in Netherlands and France. Corporately we have Mills like ours all over the world, as well as Corrugaters.

Corporate IT changed network standards recently, all our network gear has to be Cisco of a certain level etc and we use Dell for client and server hardware.

Majority of our company runs on VMs now, it's more efficient, you get some new software you need to run something? Build a new VM, takes ridiculously shorter than deployment of a physical server.

We just put in a new automated robot warehouse system in Birmingham, all the servers for it are VMs, 5 years ago most of them would probably have been physical.

Ah a bit different to the kind of organisation I was envisioning - some that I have more to do with hire space on a more project by project basis and will have even more desire to reduce the amount of space they need to rent, etc.

Associate
Inter-core latency is less of an issue for the typical tasks a CPU with a lot of cores would be aimed at - where it can hurt more is things like gaming. IIRC from the benchmarks it seems the high end Skylake platform is optimised (possibly due to its original development focus) to certain areas at the expense of others when compared to previous gen enthusiast CPUs, etc.

Also need proper benchmarks to test VMs etc. as supposedly the high latency is offset in that kind of use by advantages in other areas of the mesh system.

Hate to defend Skylake as it really is a steaming pile of **** but some people are rushing to discredit it with flawed or incomplete data.

Yeah true of course.

My post was more meant to point out there's more potential optimisation avenues with AMD approach, rather than straight bashing Intel's Mesh.

And also (different topic), now we know the 16 core Threadripper is 3.5 GHz all-core+XFR, how hot will it run? Ryzen runs ludicrously cool for an 8 core, so I'm really interested.

Soldato
in the epic vs skylake review i can't believe anandtech published that database test. wow. they are getting some stick for it and rightly so.

Soldato
Guru3d on two articles this morning, bothered to add the AMD benchmarks as an indication about the starting place where the performance is.
Is expected AMD to have run at low RAM speeds for stability, so scores will be better in real.

The most interesting chart is value for money. Lol....

index.php

index.php

Soldato
Guru3d on two articles this morning, bothered to add the AMD benchmarks as an indication about the starting place where the performance is.
Is expected AMD to have run at low RAM speeds for stability, so scores will be better in real.

Odd they expect low RAM speeds. Alienware will be offering up to 64GB at 2933Mhz. That's rather decent for an OEM.

Soldato
You are misunderstanding what I said. As per what N19h7m4r3 said if you are rack limited, etc. then you are going to be limited as to how many cores you get with the competing systems which obviously has some implications as to which you'd choose making the graph relevant in that context, etc.

I don't know why you persist in knee jerk reactions to my posts as if I'm an idiot - surely by this point you'd picked up enough about my grasp of the subject to know if what I'm saying doesn't make sense to you at first reading there is more to it than that :(

You have a way with words that often comes across very oddly and pretty bad at worst.

So it really can be often difficult to understand what your point is.

Man of Honour
You have a way with words that often comes across very oddly and pretty bad at worst.

So it really can be often difficult to understand what your point is.

In this case what I said was actually pretty plain but for some reason they couldn't get their heads around I was supporting that the AMD solution which gave you more cores in the same footprint was the better solution when limited on space to say 2 sockets :| what I said was pretty plain if the person reading didn't blindly assume an Intel bias in my post.

Soldato
In this case what I said was actually pretty plain but for some reason they couldn't get their heads around I was supporting that the AMD solution which gave you more cores in the same footprint was the better solution when limited on space to say 2 sockets :| what I said was pretty plain if the person reading didn't blindly assume an Intel bias in my post.
I've reread you post quite a few times, being objective I couldn't see that. I'm not saying that wasn't your intention but it certainly wasn't clear. I do agree that people often read what they think someone is saying, but I don't think that was the case this time.

Soldato
Intel 7920X 12core CPU will have a base clock of 2.9Ghz. Means Threadripper 1920X has a 500Mhz base clock advantage.

Straight from PC World's livestream

Actually not surprised. Given that the Intel plan was up to 10 core CPU for SkylakeX. The rest is now going to be converted Xeons, all of them of limited speed.
In addition given the single massive die, the temps escalate and it will be difficult to cool above 3.5Ghz. And Skylake isn't the most power efficient either.
Consider this. Same cooling surface, 20% more cores over the 7900X with more power ofc. How to cool this thing even at 4Ghz? Same would apply to the 18 core CPU, which is 80% higher count than the 7900X.
Even dual 480mm EK XE (thick) rads, will struggle to cool it, even delided or with proper soldered IHS. (lol $2000 CPU needing deliding -_-)

Soldato

I have to admit that the Ryzen ThreadReaper does look attractive to me, since I have OCD and don't like the castrated numbers of cache sizes among Skylake-X CPUs...

Soldato
I have to admit that the Ryzen ThreadReaper does look attractive to me, since I have OCD and don't like the castrated numbers of cache sizes among Skylake-X CPUs...

Is overall better platform, surprisingly better priced also. Some argue about single thread perf, but this is HEDT platform. We need more MT power and the ability to expand.

Yes I want 3 M3s. One for Windows 10 (gaming). One for my dev environment, and one for my Linux to load the other 2 as VM :D and have pass through all the hardware to it for full access.
Including the GPU for gaming via VM. (only AMD graphic cards support that, NV complains when it runs under VM and crashes as isn't supported).

Soldato
Actually not surprised. Given that the Intel plan was up to 10 core CPU for SkylakeX. The rest is now going to be converted Xeons, all of them of limited speed.
In addition given the single massive die, the temps escalate and it will be difficult to cool above 3.5Ghz. And Skylake isn't the most power efficient either.
Consider this. Same cooling surface, 20% more cores over the 7900X with more power ofc. How to cool this thing even at 4Ghz? Same would apply to the 18 core CPU, which is 80% higher count than the 7900X.
Even dual 480mm EK XE (thick) rads, will struggle to cool it, even delided or with proper soldered IHS. (lol $2000 CPU needing deliding -_-)

Uploaded that segment before they pulled their podcast. I think they let slip this info too quickly :p

Soldato
Is overall better platform, surprisingly better priced also. Some argue about single thread perf, but this is HEDT platform. We need more MT power and the ability to expand.

Yes I want 3 M3s. One for Windows 10 (gaming). One for my dev environment, and one for my Linux to load the other 2 as VM :D and have pass through all the hardware to it for full access.
Including the GPU for gaming via VM. (only AMD graphic cards support that, NV complains when it runs under VM and crashes as isn't supported).

Fully agreed. I'd probably get 7700K for gaming, and 1950X for dev (including compiling, video editing etc).

Wow! I didn't know that AMD graphics cards are better for virtualisation! Which virtual machine software are you talking about? (I'm severely out-dated in this field and still with VMWare Workstation 12.) If your host OS is Linux, which guest OS do you use to run the games? Why would you need to run games in virtual machines? Is it because these are R18 games with patches downloaded from untrusted places? :D

Soldato
Uploaded that segment before they pulled their podcast. I think they let slip this info too quickly :p

Again unavailable :) But i believe you mate. Nothing to prove. I doubt anyone would argue that the 7900X is as far as Intel can push the i9 series in terms of speed.
Already is running at 96C with 240mm AIOs. Can you imagine the 12 core, 14 core all the 18 core trying to run at same speeds? It will be impossible to cool down, only with LN2, because the silicon cannot transfer unlimited amount of heat.
Let alone the power draw.

Soldato
Again unavailable :) But i believe you mate. Nothing to prove. I doubt anyone would argue that the 7900X is as far as Intel can push the i9 series in terms of speed.
Already is running at 96C with 240mm AIOs. Can you imagine the 12 core, 14 core all the 18 core trying to run at same speeds? It will be impossible to cool down, only with LN2, because the silicon cannot transfer unlimited amount of heat.
Let alone the power draw.

Video is unavailable

It's should be fixed now, YT broken as hell lately. It published, then made itself private again lol.

Back
Top Bottom