• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD THREADRIPPER VS INTEL SKYLAKE X

Soldato
I don't think the memory will be any different but do think Ghz will drop as needed to get the core count up.

Don't forget that these SKU's have been pulled from the server SKU's that didn't make the grade, or even worse from Intel's point of view, SKU's pulled from server SKU's because they were never expecting to have to put this many cores on an HEDT.

Soldato
Don't forget that these SKU's have been pulled from the server SKU's that didn't make the grade, or even worse from Intel's point of view, SKU's pulled from server SKU's because they were never expecting to have to put this many cores on an HEDT.

I think it is actually the worse out of two options in that they are just pulling working SKU's from their server line to get these in and then disabling things to stop them being used in said situation.

Soldato
Ya know, I don't think the clocks speed will be any different, or only 100-200mhz, TR isn't a massive single die core like Intel, its separate chips on a die, which assuming you can keep its 180 watts down means same clock speed IMO.

Soldato
Ya know, I don't think the clocks speed will be any different, or only 100-200mhz, TR isn't a massive single die core like Intel, its separate chips on a die, which assuming you can keep its 180 watts down means same clock speed IMO.

We know the clock speeds on TR though. They are 3.4GHz. Do you mean the overclock ability? Then yep I agree. I still think majority will be able to hit 3.9GHz and some will do 4.0GHz with a tiny percent doing 4.1Ghz

Soldato
Yeah most likely but since that 1 core I always personally ignore boost speeds myself. But yeah it would make sense to have boost. However I think it will be the same as the 1700X with 3.4Ghz being base it will be 3.8Ghz boost.

Soldato
3.4 base and 4ghz turbo i bet.

Yeah most likely but since that 1 core I always personally ignore boost speeds myself. But yeah it would make sense to have boost. However I think it will be the same as the 1700X with 3.4Ghz being base it will be 3.8Ghz boost.

Robert Hallock from AMD says XFR boosts two cores on Ryzen 3, 5, and 7. Not one.

Since these threadrippers are the X variants with XFR, with two Zeppelin dies; one has to wonder if XFR will still boost 2 cores per module. If so, that 4 cores at 4,0Ghz. Would be rather nice actually.

PVEMgZWLRKyXRfMqgHm94A.png

Soldato
Robert Hallock from AMD says XFR boosts two cores on Ryzen 3, 5, and 7. Not one.

Since these threadrippers are the X variants with XFR, with two Zeppelin dies; one has to wonder if XFR will still boost 2 cores per module. If so, that 4 cores at 4,0Ghz. Would be rather nice actually.

PVEMgZWLRKyXRfMqgHm94A.png

Yeah sorry very true but still 2-4 core boost on Threadripper still isn't going to be a huge deal apart from gaming where it doesn't use a huge number of cores. That of course will help but when we are likely to get 3.9/4.0Ghz out of an overclock then I just don't see the worry on XFR other than people who are not really using the TR CPU as intended anyways.

Soldato
Yeah sorry very true but still 2-4 core boost on Threadripper still isn't going to be a huge deal apart from gaming where it doesn't use a huge number of cores. That of course will help but when we are likely to get 3.9/4.0Ghz out of an overclock then I just don't see the worry on XFR other than people who are not really using the TR CPU as intended anyways.

Its probably more for all the review sites which run single core benchmarks on CPUs with loads of cores!! :p

Soldato

Its probably more for all the review sites which run single core benchmarks on CPUs with loads of cores!! :p

I still play WoW an awful lot, which loves a good strong Single core ( along with older games ). So for me XFR seems great. I get top gaming performance, and all those juicy cores for rendering and encoding.

Hell I can happily game, record, and encode/render all on the same machine if I splurge on the 16 core as opposed the 12 core one :D

Shame Ryzen is more hassle in overclocking only certain cores. If you could select about 8 cores on Threadripper to hit 4.0Ghz, keeping the rest at 3.5Ghz it would be a fantastic balance.

You get essentially an 1800X OC'd for gaming, without having too much power and heat to deal with compared to 16 cores pushed to 3.9-4.0Ghz.
It'll all depend on temps when reviews are out; but compared to the i9's above the 10 core, Threadripper looks to be my next system come August.

I'm so glad the CPU space is exciting again!

Soldato
I still play WoW an awful lot, which loves a good strong Single core ( along with older games ). So for me XFR seems great. I get top gaming performance, and all those juicy cores for rendering and encoding.

Hell I can happily game, record, and encode/render all on the same machine if I splurge on the 16 core as opposed the 12 core one :D

Shame Ryzen is more hassle in overclocking only certain cores. If you could select about 8 cores on Threadripper to hit 4.0Ghz, keeping the rest at 3.5Ghz it would be a fantastic balance.

You get essentially an 1800X OC'd for gaming, without having too much power and heat to deal with compared to 16 cores pushed to 3.9-4.0Ghz.
It'll all depend on temps when reviews are out; but compared to the i9's above the 10 core, Threadripper looks to be my next system come August.

I'm so glad the CPU space is exciting again!

Deffo see your view point on that in fairness. I don't think we will see any more heat or similar causing problem to get 3.9-4.0Ghz though. I think with the way it's set up and the much larger spreader that we will of course see a little more but nothing to worry about, especially with them providing AIO and if they are as good as they managed with their air cooler we deffo should be fine just to get it going in honesty.

Soldato
Deffo see your view point on that in fairness. I don't think we will see any more heat or similar causing problem to get 3.9-4.0Ghz though. I think with the way it's set up and the much larger spreader that we will of course see a little more but nothing to worry about, especially with them providing AIO and if they are as good as they managed with their air cooler we deffo should be fine just to get it going in honesty.

Speaking of heat! Arctic have announced their Threadripper compatible AIO coolers. 120, 240, and 360mm.
https://videocardz.com/newz/arctic-announces-liquid-freezer-compatibility-with-ryzen-threadripper

Xoz4r_AEQhWAU0_4g8_QIA.png

Soldato
Speaking of heat! Arctic have announced their Threadripper compatible AIO coolers. 120, 240, and 360mm.
https://videocardz.com/newz/arctic-announces-liquid-freezer-compatibility-with-ryzen-threadripper

Xoz4r_AEQhWAU0_4g8_QIA.png

Well that is looking good tbh. Not overally expensive if you want more than the AIO that AMD will be bundling and tbh based on the TDP that TR has had quouted even the 120 looks to be enough to get the clocks certainly up to 3.8Ghz all core based on what we can get now.

Soldato
It certainly looks that way at the moment, unless Intel pull something out the bag.

Actually they have nothing. The chips are massive, consuming a lot of electricity. Same applies to the CoffeLake also. The base speed is 3.5Ghz, so expect max overclocks to 4.2-4.3 after deliding.
And will gain nothing from faster ram above 3200. (i9s seems stuck between 2400-2666).

What is annoying, is tech websites like Hexus, still use 2666 ram on the Ryzen CPUs. Crippling their fps gaming performance by a hefty 15% compared to 3200C14 if been used.

Soldato
Actually they have nothing. The chips are massive, consuming a lot of electricity. Same applies to the CoffeLake also. The base speed is 3.5Ghz, so expect max overclocks to 4.2-4.3 after deliding.
And will gain nothing from faster ram above 3200. (i9s seems stuck between 2400-2666).

What is annoying, is tech websites like Hexus, still use 2666 ram on the Ryzen CPUs. Crippling their fps gaming performance by a hefty 15% compared to 3200C14 if been used.

PcPer used 2400Mhz to test the latency compared to Skylake X :/

Soldato

Yeah. Especially almost end July 2017, not using 3200Mhz ram with Ryzen is stupid.
Hell if they don't bother about subtimings, they should get 3200Mhz/3466Mhz DR ram, plug it on and forget about it. It will greatly improves the performance 15-20% over 2400.

Man of Honour

Not sure about PCPer as they've talked about putting in orders for kit before but some places will have a sponsor sending them kit to test which will often limit things a bit especially if they aren't flush for cash and depending on ad revenue and 3rd parties to keep things afloat. (Hint if you disable your ad blocker maybe they could afford to buy some 3200 RAM :p).

Back
Top Bottom