• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD to unveil Zen 4 CPUs at CES 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
The vrm thing is getting dumb. They’re just making them way overkill so they increase the board asp. Wanna be diy enthusiasts just assume bigger vrm = better board.

Soldato
How can Intel seemingly not lose market share while at the same time lose revenue and margins, Intel margins have gone from 64% in 2017 to 50% now in 2021.
Intels monolithic chips cost more and more to manufacture so the margins on these parts are much lower than say AMDs cheaper chiplet designs which rather than passing the savings on to the consumer were sold for very high margins especially for the first year after Zen 3 released.

Soldato
Intels monolithic chips cost more and more to manufacture so the margins on these parts are much lower than say AMDs cheaper chiplet designs which rather than passing the savings on to the consumer were sold for very high margins especially for the first year after Zen 3 released.
Do they cost more to manufacture? Intel produces it's own chips so the cost of production cost is only needs to cover the development amortization (likely over 7 years) and building cost of the fab whereas AMD is paying TSMC a markup on each chip sold.

Soldato
What do we think the itx boards will be like, do you think they will fit two chipsets and also be the high-end x670e, I'm looking forward to an Asus itx impact board.

Soldato
Do they cost more to manufacture? Intel produces it's own chips so the cost of production cost is only needs to cover the development amortization (likely over 7 years) and building cost of the fab whereas AMD is paying TSMC a markup on each chip sold.

On a per square MM basis, we'll likely not know (I'm certainly not diving into the financials). Intel make everything, more or less, in house. TSMC have multiple manufacturing customers to spread their process advancement and refinement costs with and the door is open to use GloFo/Samsung. As an educated guess, I'd say AMD are making a not dissimilar profit per sq MM than Intel, with significantly lower overheads. Volume is the kicker, but that's a guess

Soldato
Soldato
Only 15% uplift v zen 3. RL is going to smash it.

15% sounds low. Worst case or sandbagging? Makes me feel happy with my 5800X3D if true ;)

Soldato

Maybe it's 15% over Alderlake.

Soldato
Why on earth would they compare IPC to alder lake, amd has never done that nor has Intel compared theirs to amd, IPC is always compared to your own previous chip

Maybe it's 15% vs 5800x3d

Soldato
It does say in the article they don't what the 15% is in relation to. It certainly would be a disapointment if zen 4 is only 15% faster than Zen 3 considering its on a new node and has had almost 2 years to prep.
Can't disagree there, it would be a disappointment in relation to how long it has taken to release.

I'm not fond of the 3D chips coming close to the next Zen release either, I'd rather they release new Zen sooner since it's an all around boost and not specific things.

Happy to wait for Meteor Lake if this turns out a bit of a dud release, but I'd be surprised if that happens. There's also a chance Intel has better price performance, but no upgrade path with RPL.

Associate
Zen 3 they compared to zen 2.
Seems t low based on the rumours. I know rumours are to be taken with a pinch of salt but there were to many pointing at a higher margin. New architecture and better node i just cannot se it being only 15%

Just seen teh article, it is not "only 15%" it is over 15% indicating that is the lowest margin, it does nto state the upper range

Soldato

Not necessarily if the clockspeeds also go up by 20+%.

Soldato
The 5800X3D is upto 15% faster than 5800X. Next gen is at least 15% faster still. So 30% faster than a 5800X. That kind of generational gain has been unheard of for well over a a decade. Why the disappointment?

Caporegime
It just says 15% single threaded uplift, we have to assume that is over Ryzen 5000.

And there it is :) the thing is Ryzen 5000 already boosts to around 5Ghz ST, how much higher should we expect it to boost? most of that 15% will come from IPC, it does seem a little low but if the slide is real that's it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom