• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD to unveil Zen 4 CPUs at CES 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Now lets talk about AMD vs Intel: 1) In past years, we saw Intel lead the pack in overall performance, with AMD competing on price-for-performance metrics. This year, both the overall performance leader and the price-for-performance leader were AMD-based instances.

2) AMD EPYC Milan and Rome, the multi-core x86 and x64 microprocessors, blew away the competing Cascade Lake and Ice Lake Xeon CPUs from Intel between the three cloud platforms in various tests on performance conducted by database company CockroachDB.

3) Furthermore, Intel Xeon CPUs have been having a hard time keeping up with their release schedule with the more recent Sapphire Rapids 4th Gen Xeon family delayed from a 2020 launch to the 2nd quarter of 2023 while AMD will have their 128 core EPYC Bergamo lineup ready for launch around the same time.

It looks like he's skipped read it and grabed that bit of info not realizing what it was actually meaning.

Soldato
Id you download the full report, it shows providers broken down into 3 categories, those using milan, icelake and cascade lake. In the benchmarks icelake is basically within 10% or tied with milan. Cascade lake is of coursing losing badly

Associate
It looks like he's skipped read it and grabed that bit of info not realizing what it was actually meaning.
He’s too nervous, a side effect of AMD’s dominance. AMD won't slow down, server is their primary focus, and with XILINX and PENSANDO i don't see how could Intel catch up them. By time Intel releases something, AMD will have Zen 4 epyc with upto 128 cores, and then there will be Zen 5 with even more cores + Xilinx A.I integration and something from Pensando, so with those 2 companies it will be even harder for Intel.

Caporegime
AMD EPYC Milan and Rome, the multi-core x86 and x64 microprocessors, blew away the competing Cascade Lake and Ice Lake Xeon CPUs from Intel between the three cloud platforms in various tests on performance conducted by database company CockroachDB.

And Milan is outgoing, Ice Lake will be up against Genoa later this year, 96 Zen 4 cores vs 64 Zen 3 cores at i think similar power levels.

Soldato
That report is really a measure of Cloud providers and the benchmarks are for 8vCpu or 32 vCPu so normalised.

I think when people are saying blew away they mean the core density and efficiency lead that AMD have.

In the Data Centre if you have to have 4S,8S or even multiple Intel servers to compete with a 2S 64 core Epyc then the TCO will be way higher for Intel based equipment.

On the desktop power consumption doesn't matter, in DC its one of most important as power and cooling (power again really for AC) are the primary running costs.

Soldato
I wonder how much the premium is on the 5nm wafer space per mm vs 7nm per mm? Perhaps continuing Zen3 chiplets on 7nm works out more expensive than moving to a 5nm Zen4 die for current AM4 parts, especially when buying wafers in lower volumes.

Caporegime
A very interesting rumor is coming in from the lower down supply-chain (resellers) saying that AMD has plans for Zen 4 compatible AM4 (DDR4/PCIe Gen4) products :eek:
https://twitter.com/greymon55/status/1537863381222592512 / https://www.techpowerup.com/295983/...ineup-revealed-spectacular-am4-rumor-surfaces

This is possible because of the modularity of Ryzen, its easy to do, the IMC and PCIe lanes sit on the IO die, they could take the Zen 4 CCD's and just stick them on an AM4 PCB with the Zen 3 IO die.

I'm not saying they will, but they could...

Seems unlikely - I read it more than AM4 DDR4 based products will continue to exist alongside for some time to come
This is more likely. Or Zen 3 gets a 6nm Ryzrn 6000 refresh.

Last edited:
Soldato
Soldato
I wonder how much the premium is on the 5nm wafer space per mm vs 7nm per mm? Perhaps continuing Zen3 chiplets on 7nm works out more expensive than moving to a 5nm Zen4 die for current AM4 parts, especially when buying wafers in lower volumes.

50%, 5nm is 50% higher price for the wafer than 7nm

Soldato
Has something changed at AMD's roadmap?

Cause according to a senior manager, he's saying AMD will now ship a 3D V Cache enabled Zen4 CPU before the end of 2022

Maybe he's confused, since AMD roadmap from a couple weeks ago showed no 3D v cache till 2023

Edit: ok I get it now. Zen4 without Vcache is called Raphael and with Vcache it's Raphael-X. Raphael-X was supposed to only come in 2023, but looks like AMD can be feeling some pressure from Intel in gaming, so the Raphael-X schedule is brought up by several months to the end of 2022. Means that Zen4 will get refreshed with Zen43D Vcache just 3 months after launch and the Vcache models will be better for gaming.

Last edited:
Soldato
Well if leaks are true Ryzen 7000 in Sept then maybe paper launch year end for VCache models.

If RPL and Zen 4 are very close in Gaming and MT then all they have to do again is release a 7800X with vcache and market as best gaming cpu again.

Soldato
Well if leaks are true Ryzen 7000 in Sept then maybe paper launch year end for VCache models.

If RPL and Zen 4 are very close in Gaming and MT then all they have to do again is release a 7800X with vcache and market as best gaming cpu again.
Hopefully they will have Vcache on more than just one SKU this time around.

Associate
If it comes out 3 months after initial CPUs, it's not really a refresh, but just an expansion of the product range. If RDNA3 is getting a staggered release with the GPUs, it's fine for CPUs. All in all good news as long as it's not a paper launch.

Soldato
Given the success of the 5800X, this isn't a refresh, it's a new SKU within the 7000 series lineup.

And now that AMD know it works as intended, we may get a 6 core variant this time too for a pair of dedicated gaming CPUs within the Ryzen lineup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom