• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD to unveil Zen 4 CPUs at CES 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
I find the "And we're still doing something with AM4, maybe" infuritating and paralysing. I'm very happy with the idea of a Final Upgrade on the AM4 platform, then upgradnig the GPU, then swapping the rest of the machine out underneath the GPU. Was a nice, simple plan that worked.

Now I just have uncertainty. Will a 5800x3D it be a final upgrade? I've got no idea. Kudos for long lived support for the socket. But the complete lack of guidence is maddening!

Also, preduction for AM4 future - they backport the next generation of Ryzen, but only single CCD models. This lets them have extra power to play with, so not power limited - while pointing Power Users to AM5, who need multi-CCDs and benefit from the DDR5 etc more. 95% of gamers would probably be well served by a 7800x3D (or whatever they call it). Better than whatever intel have, in the vast majority of games for the cost of a drop in replacement. It'll be hard for intel to sell 13900/whatever if gamers have the choice between that drop in upgrade (for a fraction of the cost) or a 7900x3D equivilent at a similar cost, but similar or better performance.

Soldato
I find the "And we're still doing something with AM4, maybe" infuritating and paralysing. I'm very happy with the idea of a Final Upgrade on the AM4 platform, then upgradnig the GPU, then swapping the rest of the machine out underneath the GPU. Was a nice, simple plan that worked.

Now I just have uncertainty. Will a 5800x3D it be a final upgrade? I've got no idea. Kudos for long lived support for the socket. But the complete lack of guidence is maddening!
Sounds like you're making an issue where there is none.

AMD aren't going to port the entirety of Zen 4 to AM4. I doubt if any Zen 4 products get ported to AM4 because that involves making a load of new, specific stuff. I'd suggest AMD's thought process is porting 6000 series APUs to AM4, or filling some of the low-end gaps in the AM4 lineup with 4 core Athlons and the like; I honestly don't see them making a new IO die with a DDR4 controller and reworking the Matisse package to support 5nm chiplets just to eke out anoher 6-12 months of AM4, especially as Zen 4 could well be crippled paired with DDR4.

I would be very surprised if they release high end parts sufficient to "paralyse" your purchase decisions.

If you feel the longevity of AM4 is an issue, ignore it and buy what you need now, because if you wait you'll never buy anything. That has always been the case and doesn't change just because AMD have turned around and said "y'know, 5800X3D might not be the last AM4 CPU".

And given Ryzen 7000 is now only months away, unless you need an upgrade right now, just wait until AM5 launches, see what the state of DDR5 speed and prices are, see what teething problems early adopters go through and just buy a 5800X3D if you're not confident in the new platform.

Associate
Sounds like you're making an issue where there is none.
I would be very surprised if they release high end parts sufficient to "paralyse" your purchase decisions.

If you feel the longevity of AM4 is an issue, ignore it and buy what you need now, because if you wait you'll never buy anything. That has always been the case and doesn't change just because AMD have turned around and said "y'know, 5800X3D might not be the last AM4 CPU".

What I want to do is buy the last, best AM4 upgrade and try and last through AM5 into AM6, or whatever intel are selling at that point. Near future is probably going to be GPU bound, so I'm hoping a best in slot will last the distance. If they said "and we're only bringing out athlons/APU" then there's no problem. I just want to know. Fear of making the wrong choice is a thing.

Soldato
I'll skip this one, although they say you get PCI-e 5 everywhere, its not really true, even on the best boards you're going to get a PCIx5 x16 slot, PCIx5 x8 slot and 1 m.2 at PCI-5, the rest will remain as PCI-e 4, and all for a bit more performance out of the CPU which you probably wont notice in real world performance, AMD should have stuck to making the chipsets instead of giving it to ASMedia, I'll stick with my Gigabyte X570S for a while yet.

The rumour that AM5 coming to AM4 turned out not to be true, however, there is talk of an 5900X3D on the way. https://www.hardwaretimes.com/amd-m...-200mb-overall-no-zen-4-on-am4-boards-report/

Soldato
AMD should have stuck to making the chipsets instead of giving it to ASMedia...
And yet AMD's X570 chip required active cooling (and the internet melted down as a result), yet the ASMedia B550 and X570S chips don't need a fan.

So I'm fairly sure it's a better job giving the chipset job to ASMedia. Unless, of course, ASMedia **** up regularly like they did with X570 and force AMD into rushing their own.

Soldato
And yet AMD's X570 chip required active cooling (and the internet melted down as a result), yet the ASMedia B550 and X570S chips don't need a fan.

So I'm fairly sure it's a better job giving the chipset job to ASMedia. Unless, of course, ASMedia **** up regularly like they did with X570 and force AMD into rushing their own.

The best asmedia could do though was PCIe 4, you are only getting the PCIe 5 from the CPU with zen4.

I'm pretty sure X570S is still AMD chipset without the cooling fan, not that the fan on X570 ever bothered me at all, never heard it in my X570 master, and no no longer have it on my X570S master, I only changed the board for the extra m.2 slot

Soldato
I'm pretty sure X570S is still AMD chipset without the cooling fan
That was the confusion when Asus launched the Dark Hero. It's not actually X570S, it's a passive X570. Still the same repurposed Zen 2 IO on Glo Fo 16nm, so still the same ridiculous TDP. The S refresh uses a refined chip to slash the TDP, so it's still AMD's hodge-podge design because ASMedia dropped the ball originally, but it's had a few tweaks and on a better process.

The best asmedia could do though was PCIe 4
Well no, the best ASMedia can do is PCIe 5, because they're doing the 600 series chipsets. Not sure how ASMedia producing a PCIe 4 chipset when PCIe 4 was current gen is somehow a bad thing...

you are only getting the PCIe 5 from the CPU with zen4.
Not true. X670E is Gen 5 across the board by design. X670 has the design flexibility to be Gen 5 across the board at reduced lane counts if the motherboard vendor chooses to. B660 will probably be Gen 5 on the first 16x slot and a SSD coming off the CPU, with Gen 4 making up the rest of the board.

There's no reason for ITX boards to not be fully Gen 5, so expect forced segmentation rip-offs with X670E being the only full Gen 5 ITX when a standard X670 design as per AMD's spec is fully capable of doing it.

But I digress...

Soldato
X670E, not gen 5 across the board. All M.2 slots are gen4 except the first one which gen5, and the first GPU slot has full x16 lanes gen5, the other x16 slot is gen5 but only x8, this is the same pattern for all X670E boards, it's there in black and white, the boards that do support gen5 m.2 slots across the board cut other things like USB4 and reduce the GPU slot to x8 like the Gigabyte Master.

The only thing x670 is bringing over x570 is a few % more performance on the CPU, a gen5 GPU slot, if you've got one, gen5 m.2 slot if you've got one, and usb4.

Last edited:
Associate
This solution is based on a 12 inch wafers and in the future the industry will move to 18 inch wafers, which means higher utilization of the fab and better pricing per wafer and eventually better prices to the end user. Basically, much more dies per wafer. This die per wafer calculator show the various options per wafer size: https://anysilicon.com/die-per-wafer-formula-free-calculators/
I don't think so, more likely that they will keep prices same so more profit for them, price will go up every year, and when they migrate to something better/cheaper, at best price will stay same for us, but going down? nope, they never go down.

Associate
How much extra power would an all PCIe 5.0 board use?
Faster signalling is not free.

450mm wafers are very unlikely for at least a few decades as all the big players have abandoned it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom