• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD to unveil Zen 4 CPUs at CES 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
5900X not high enough for you? The only other one higher is the 5950X unless you count the 3D cache one as higher :p

They also have the 5600X in there, so I think you guys not looking properly maybe ;)

Quite right! Snatched a glance while on lunch and clearly missed it. In my defence, it's nowhere ear where I expected...

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Quite right! Snatched a glance while on lunch and clearly missed it. In my defence, it's nowhere ear where I expected...
Haha. Thought so. Yea, dodgy results.

That website consistently puts out WTF results like this, wait for someone else to test it.
Even then I would not put much stock in it as I doubt they spent much time optimising it. I mean if the workstations were Intel then that probably got the little optimisation that is even there.

Just hope it is not a case of UE5 generally likes Intel CPU's. That would suck as I plan on keeping this cpu for quite a while.

Soldato
I think it is an optimisation issue personally. How the hell is a 3600X ahead of a 5900X? I would not read into any of those results personally.
Digital Foundry showed in their video that a 3600 gets around 30 FPS and often less than that whereas an Intel 10900K gets in the 40s FPS. I've also seen YouTubers with an AMD 5000 series CPU getting in the 40s FPS and I trust these sources more than GameGPU.

Associate
GameGPU probably don't have a biggest budget (and are now probably sanctioned so would have to buy things themselves possibly in the grey market...), but from those UE5 results, it really looks like the engine doesn't like multi chiplet CPUs. The best scoring AMD should would be a 5800X or 5800X3D, but we might have to wait a while for anyone to bench those.

Soldato
GameGPU probably don't have a biggest budget (and are now probably sanctioned so would have to buy things themselves possibly in the grey market...), but from those UE5 results, it really looks like the engine doesn't like multi chiplet CPUs. The best scoring AMD should would be a 5800X or 5800X3D, but we might have to wait a while for anyone to bench those.

Good point, one reason I went for the 5800X3D over the 5900X, besides not needing the extras cores.

Soldato
Have AMD said if the Zen5 will work on Zen4 motherboards?
Nope, but they said something about AM5 being supported for a while, but that is vague. Means nothing if the first boards using AM5 only support the first 1-2 processors and then you need to buy a new one after that with the same socket.

Zen 4 and 5 should be a given though. Anything less would be worse than Intel.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Nope, but they said something about AM5 being supported for a while, but that is vague. Means nothing if the first boards using AM5 only support the first 1-2 processors and then you need to buy a new one after that with the same socket.

Zen 4 and 5 should be a given though. Anything less would be worse than Intel.
My guess is Zen 4, 5 and probably 6. Then onto a new socket with Zen 7 which is when I will upgrade.

Associate
We now have confirmation that AM5 only supports DDR5, no DDR4 support on the platform at all.

Also x670 uses a dual chip, chiplet design. I wonder if this is how they bring down the heat high temperatures on the chipset with x570

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/a...es-with-ddr5-support-only-dual-chipset-design
That's the way to go, hybrid designes have compromises, so i prefer ddr5 only controller, and AMD announced excellent OC capabilities of DDR5 which isn't surprise considering it is ddr5 only and it uses TSMC node for I/O die.

Man of Honour
That's the way to go, hybrid designes have compromises, so i prefer ddr5 only controller, and AMD announced excellent OC capabilities of DDR5 which isn't surprise considering it is ddr5 only and it uses TSMC node for I/O die.

They do? I don't remember 6th/7th gen having any issues supporting ddr3 and ddr4 at the same time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom