• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD VEGA confirmed for 2017 H1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Same old, same old. It's hard to get excited about AMD maybe releasing a GPU before Q3 to compete with Nvidia's year old card. I wish ATI hadn't been bought out by AMD all those years ag. Barring the HD 4000/5000 series (which I think were probably taped out by ATI?) AMD's graphics division has been playing catch-up and second fiddle.
[/moan]

In all honesty if AMD didn't buy ATI when they did ATI would have probably gone bankrupt within 6 months. The 2000 series was a disaster for ATI and ruined them financially, I'm not sure any financial institution would have given then additional finance to continue trading.

Associate
Think of like this. We know what that chip can do now, in the six months between it's demo and launch there's time for GF to improve the 14nm process which will boost clocks and reduce power draw and time AMD to really nail the drivers.

If AMD can get those initial Vega clocks up to the 1400/1500 level then AMD will have product that can truly compete with Nvidia's best offerings but as always never underestimate AMD's ability to disappoint.

Just so you know, the actual GPUs usually manufactured a good 6 months before the card release.
So improving the process in these months would make absolutely zero difference.

Soldato
That's very interesting, can you elaborate?
Imagination the company behind PowerVR GPUs are holding a Tech Summit on the 8th of March. It’s a day-long series of presentations and demonstrations with the top executives from Imagination. The odd bit is the first big main presentation isn't PowerVR but at 9.10am Mark Papermaster CTO of AMD will do an AMD big picture Keynote.

All the speakers itinerary info is up apart from AMD which is being kept hidden. Add that with AMD who at CES said they have been keeping some of the Vega revels hidden for a later date and its causing all sorts of wild rumours from the new tile based stuff in Vega is licenced from PowerVR to Vega is using the PowerVR Ray Tracing module. Which as much as I would love for it to be true the timelines don't match up with the info we have. Anyway the Summit is real and AMD presence is real. The question is what are AMD really doing as many of the rumours are far fetched even for me.

https://www.imgtec.com/event/imagination-tech-summit/

Last edited:
Soldato
Just so you know, the actual GPUs usually manufactured a good 6 months before the card release.
So improving the process in these months would make absolutely zero difference.

You've over estimated the manufacture of the GPU by about 3-4 months their ;)

The Dongguan factory in China for instance is pumping them out only a few months before sale as they can produce up to 40,000 GPU's a month alone.

Not sure if you picked the number out thin air or it was something said by someone else but I will state now that it is not true that the chips used for release are pumped out 6 months prior.

Associate
You've over estimated the manufacture of the GPU by about 3-4 months their ;)

The Dongguan factory in China for instance is pumping them out only a few months before sale as they can produce up to 40,000 GPU's a month alone.

Not sure if you picked the number out thin air or it was something said by someone else but I will state now that it is not true that the chips used for release are pumped out 6 months prior.

It is based on quite a few dates observed on chips in reviews. If they remove the coolers, and the dates on the chips usually 4-6 months prior release.
Had a few chat about that on different forums. The autumn started AMD hawaii chips had spring dates on them, same was the case with the GK104, etc.
I only remember them, because a guy argued that only Nvidia makes the chips in advance, but al the AMD chips were dated way before the release.

Soldato
Man of Honour
Just saw Techpowerup added Radeon Instinct MI25 to database.

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpudb/2929/radeon-instinct-mi25

So... Vega 10 was originally codenamed Greenland XT, I am surprised it still used the same GCN 1.3 architecture as Polaris. Vega 10 turned out to be a big fat Polaris packed with new features and HBM2 memory.

New year, new architecture???

https://twitter.com/Radeon/status/813561408612945920

Is AMD marketing tell us more lies again?

The main changes to Vega (over Polaris) aren't in the shader department but uncore, setup engines, etc. some stuff that had discrete hardware blocks before have been moved to being processed on the shaders like nVidia have been doing, etc.

Soldato

So... Vega 10 was originally codenamed Greenland XT, I am surprised it still used the same GCN 1.3 architecture as Polaris. Vega 10 turned out to be a big fat Polaris packed with new features and HBM2 memory.

The techpowerup post is ancient.

Vega is using NCU (Next-Generation Compute Unit) which is the "successor" to GCN if I can call it like that.

Just google search Vega NCU please, don't use ancient information :)

Associate
Code name, architecture name, not much to be discerned from placeholder data. Take a pick.

I'm waiting till concrete news, namely the launch.

Associate

As they did in the past, they put up the page before the real facts are released. They did this many times.
The data there is just placeholder.
Also theres a big red text you might missed:

"This graphics card is not released yet.
Data on this page may change in the future."

Don't make a fool from youself.

Soldato
the 1080ti 10Gb announcement. AMD will need to get something announced prior to that, even if its just a kimono open and no launch.

I don't think they are though... Nvidia knew this which was why they didn't announce at CES once they realised AMD weren't going to release until May. They will drop the 1080Ti just before, and then when VEGA announces it will do so with a lot of grandeur and exclamation, but if it's not a 1080Ti competitor (which it doesn't seem as though it will be), then it's all going to be a bit 'meh' for many people, save the AMD fan boys of course. Price is going to be the important factor, but at this point I am expecting something slightly better than the 1080 for around the same price. Not bad by any means, but I think some people need a reality check as to what VEGA will NOT be...

1) A circa 1080 performance GPU for 1070 price... NO
2) A 1080Ti performance level GPU... NO

I have no doubt VEGA will impress and be a great option for many consumers at the high end (and who can afford it), especially those with Freesync monitors that need a powerful GPU, but Nvidia are still going to hold the performance crown with the 1080Ti and pricing is NOT going to change.

Associate
I thought Polaris was GCN 1.4,vega should be GCN 5.

I believe Polaris was labelled as being 4th Gen GCN, making it GCN 1.3 as it started at GCN 1 -> 1.1 -> 1.2 -> 1.3. I can't really remember names/models all that well, but IIRC 1.0 was Tahiti(7970 etc), 1.1 was Bonaire + Hawaii, 1.2 Tonga + Fiji, 1.3 Polaris.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom