• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD VEGA confirmed for 2017 H1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
I think my first gfx card was a Voodoo and then I think I had a voodoox2 or something..... That was a long time ago...

EDIT November 1996 - it had 4mb of memory!

Matrox mystique 220 was the first aftermarket card I bought, I later added a Canopus pure3d 3DFx 6mb card :p

Them was the days :o

Associate
Matrox mystique 220 was the first aftermarket card I bought, I later added a Canopus pure3d 3DFx 6mb card :p

Them was the days :o
I remeber installing it and using the demo with a silver spinning cup. We watched that cup spin for ages and admired the shinyness of my new gpu and its ability.

Soldato
My current rig is the first one I ever built so my GPU history is rather short if you exclude anything that was in my parents' PCs:

GeForce GTS 250 (512 MiB) --> died, RMA'd with...
GeForce GTS 250 (1 GiB) --> died, replaced with...
Radeon R9 270 (2 GiB) --> will hopefully be replaced with...
Radeon Vega

Soldato
I think my first gfx card was a Voodoo and then I think I had a voodoox2 or something..... That was a long time ago...

EDIT November 1996 - it had 4mb of memory!
The voodoo I remember seeing and it was very fancy in lighting effects on Quake. Buuuut it wasnt needed to play, it just made things look nicer. All the 3D part of the map was done by the CPU (FPU) back then and for a few more years in some games. So I was never tempted myself. I did buy a card to play Driver (2000) which was like GTA before GTA even existed so ahead of its time

I was using a 1mb card as a backup till like 3 years ago. Like ATi rage 128 or something, it was kinda amazing it worked at all. Taken from a 1997 machine and ran modern windows. It did get a bit wonky though, obviously no good for games. Not sure how 1mb had enough space for modern res, I must have put it on svga.

My first 3D card was geforce first series and it went bad within 6 months (bad ebay purchase, the seller dumped a card on its way out I now realise in retrospect) TNT2 was amazingly basic card that ran anything, fairly sure I used that for everything for way too long. Original CS and half life and all sorts. Also had a Ati 8500 running bf1, the absolute lowest spec but it just about worked. Geforce 2 mx which was pretty much no upgrade at all. 8600gt, pointless, the 8800gt was god, still have one as a card for linux. An old 6800nu, a great card in its time is running spreadsheets and databases now, never touches a game sadly but its fan has ground to a solid stop and its gone passive so thats how it has to be.
2900gt was a great fan heater to warm up any room, very large memory bandwidth was good but didnt help exactly, the game I played was biased to Nvidia as many are unfortunately. Very hot cards Im wary of now, it was exchanged for the 4870. Got a 7950 which only lasted a 6 months before 1 small chip set itself on fire amazingly, the replacement had fans which didnt spin up properly, bad controller chip apparently. The fix done on that was bodged, card fail back to the 4870

Last edited:
Soldato
Ive had quite a few cards from both, but my last Nvidia card was the 8800 GT 512mb, but going back with the 1080 Ti, just waiting on the Zotac AMP Extremes coming, as look great :D
raw

:p

Ha ha

Hopefully a single Ti will shut him up, think we can get a petition going so he doesn't get two of them?:p

Associate
The voodoo I remember seeing and it was very fancy in lighting effects on Quake. Buuuut it wasnt needed to play, it just made things look nicer. All the 3D part of the map was done by the CPU (FPU) back then and for a few more years in some games. So I was never tempted myself. I did buy a card to play Driver (2000) which was like GTA before GTA even existed so ahead of its time

I was using a 1mb card as a backup till like 3 years ago. Like ATi rage 128 or something, it was kinda amazing it worked at all. Taken from a 1997 machine and ran modern windows. It did get a bit wonky though, obviously no good for games. Not sure how 1mb had enough space for modern res, I must have put it on svga.

My first 3D card was geforce first series and it went bad within 6 months :/ TNT2 was amazingly basic card that ran anything, fairly sure I used that for everything for way too long. Original CS and half life and all sorts. Also had a Ati 8500 running bf1, the absolute lowest spec but it just about worked. Geforce 2 mx which was pretty much no upgrade at all. 8600gt, pointless, the 8800gt was god, still have one as a card for linux. An old 6800nu, a great card in its time is running spreadsheets and databases now, never touches a game sadly but its fan has ground to a solid stop and its gone passive so thats how it has to be.
2900gt was a great fan heater to warm up any room, very large memory bandwidth was good but didnt help exactly, the game I played was biased to Nvidia as many are unfortunately. Very hot cards Im wary of now, it was exchanged for the 4870. Got a 7950 which only lasted a 6 months before 1 small chip set itself on fire amazingly, the replacement had fans which didnt spin up properly, bad controller chip apparently. The fix done on that was bodged, card fail back to the 4870

Oh I remember what it was like to see a Voodoo 1 card in action. Quake was a different game, it was the difference between seeing pixels and something that looked like an actual game, night and day. Everything was smooth, reactions quicker, target better. The jump was impressive and it'll be hard to replicate that feeling, I still haven't been able to :)

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Ha ha

Hopefully a single Ti will shut him up, think we can get a petition going so he doesn't get two of them?:p
Hahahaha. I really hope he has learnt his lesson and does not go multi gpu :p

Funny thing is, I get the feeling he will be regretting his decision again (like he did when he went crossfire) once big vega arrives and he sees us playing with all the new tech. He will realise he went to the dark side at the wrong time after all those years and will be stuck with a freesync monitor not being able to use adaptive sync :p

Just kidding, cannot go wrong with a 1080Ti really. Top card :)

Caporegime
Ha ha

Only 2, pah!, im getting 3 :eek:

:D

Funny thing is, I get the feeling he will be regretting his decision again (like he did when he went crossfire) once big vega arrives and he sees us playing with all the new tech.

I'll be lolling along with everyone else once big Vega arrives ;)

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I wonder if they do something with Bethesda and give Pray with Vega. That would be double tempting for me as that is like one of the only good games coming out on PC any time soon IMO.

With RTG saying they are partnering with them, chances are Prey will run very well on Vega :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom