• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD VEGA confirmed for 2017 H1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
980Ti/1070 are pretty good for that already.

I'm not sure anymore. I actually see the 1070 as a 1080/1200p card now. You just have to look at the fps it gets in the most recent AAA titles to see that.

If you look through the numbers provided by Guru3d, your see in the latest titles the 1070 is really now a superb sub 1440p card.

I see the 1080 as a 1400p. but I am not willing to pay £500 for one. Hoping AMD can bring the prices down.

Associate
Something like a 1080ti at £350 - £400.

You're in for the long haul then mate! Be a while before we get anything like that...

If only we lived in a world where all games were as exceptionally well optimised as Doom. Ah well, one can dream. :rolleyes:

Dream indeed. I'm appaulled that Dishonoured 2 still has performance issues 6 months later, worse than Arkham Knight. At least that game sorted itself out.

I'm not sure anymore. I actually see the 1070 as a 1080/1200p card now. You just have to look at the fps it gets in the most recent AAA titles to see that.

If you look through the numbers provided by Guru3d, your see in the latest titles the 1070 is really now a superb sub 1440p card.

I see the 1080 as a 1400p. but I am not willing to pay £500 for one. Hoping AMD can bring the prices down.

In an age where a 970 is no longer sufficient for 1080p60 on max settings... I'd have to agree. Looks like 4k will get even harder for AMD the longer they leave it, to make a card capable of 4k60.

Soldato
If only we lived in a world where all games were as exceptionally well optimised as Doom. Ah well, one can dream. :rolleyes:

I hope AMDs partnership with Bethesda means we get some proper Vulkan optimised games.

Hell even 20% of that would be a huge improvement for the buggy messes that Bethesda usually put out.

Soldato
Well the Titan X (pascal) got over 100fps back when it launched, and averaging around mid 90's, before they put out their Vulcan patch, so I can see the new TXp doing close to what that graphs states.

It was also around ~30% faster than 1080 already, never mind the new TXp which is apparently 10% faster than TX as well.

How do they compare to the TitanX?

Soldato
How do they compare to the TitanX?

That is the Titan X I'm talking about, and that's shown in the video. Or do you mean the Titan X Maxwell?
The Titan X (Pascal) from 2016 is 122% faster in 4K DOOM Vulkan compared to Titan X Maxwell.

https://www.pcgamesn.com/nvidia/gtx-1080-ti-review-benchmarks/#benchmarks
8c146917f86844c09a5cce1b4bd99096.png

No reviews for the NEW Titan Xp. Bloody hell the naming is a confusing mess; normal consumers have no chance.

Last edited:
Soldato
Again Nvidia. The need for a GPU like a 1070 to power games sub 1400p you could argue is due to Nvidia holding back things like DX12 and Vulkan in favour of Dx11 and Game Works.

Why? Becuase that's where their strength lies. They can sell ever more powerful cards.

---

On the other hand DX12 and Vulkan temporarily will bring more FPS.... but eventually Devs will use the excess FPS to improve the IQ in games so we will be back down again to 40-80 depending on GPU but with twice the amount of IQ we currently have in games.

May take 5 years tho for the gaming ecosystem to get there.

Last edited:
Soldato
980Ti/1070 are pretty good for that already.

When the new Doom VR game is shown during E3 on 11th June it's not going to be demoed by Bethesda using an Nvidia card ;)

This is possibly why the 4k Vulcan performance comparison in Doom is a key one because it is pretty much the target resolution for Doom VR and it needs to hit 90fps with low latency.

Ditto Fallout 4 VR....

With Star Citizen confirmed as using Vulkan, one of the big questions is whether Destiny 2 will use Vulkan, if it does it will be a major boost to AMD.

Soldato
When the new Doom VR game is shown during E3 on 11th June it's not going to be demoed by Bethesda using an Nvidia card ;)

This is possibly why the 4k Vulcan performance comparison in Doom is a key one because it is pretty much the target resolution for Doom VR and it needs to hit 90fps with low latency.

Ditto Fallout 4 VR....

With Star Citizen confirmed as using Vulkan, one of the big questions is whether Destiny 2 will use Vulkan, if it does it will be a major boost to AMD.

Fallout 4 VR? :eek:

Soldato

If my GTX970 is still fine for 1080p/60fps, a GTX1070 can basically do the same for 1440p. Yes, not on Ultra for everything, but the jump in resolution is worth dropping some settings.

Soldato

Ditto Fallout 4 VR....

Are we still doing this thing where people think that because of Doom, Vulkan is an inherently AMD-favored API?

And Fallout 4 performed better on Nvidia cards.

I also have no idea what Destiny has to do with Star Citizen.

Yea, it's coming out this year. Entire game is being reworked to be played in full 360 degrees with motion controls.

Soldato
Vulkan is an inherently AMD-favored API?

I also have no idea what Destiny has to do with Star Citizen.

AMD favoured in the sense that it will show the AMD cards and CPU's in the best possible light. AMD have a great Vulkan story.

Destiny 2 and SC Probably two of the biggest PC game releases of the year.

Associate
yea and apparently, fallout4 will be the best VR game yet, something about the the slow paced weaponery, and the V.A.T target system, makes it perfect for VR, although i don't see how they will solve locomotion.
i am certainly intrigued by all the hype they pumped to fallout 4 VR, guess we will see at E3.

Soldato
yea and apparently, fallout4 will be the best VR game yet, something about the the slow paced weaponery, and the V.A.T target system, makes it perfect for VR, although i don't see how they will solve locomotion.
i am certainly intrigued by all the hype they pumped to fallout 4 VR, guess we will see at E3.

Is this an AMD or Nvidia tying? I imagine Nvidia considering Fallout 4 was a Gameworks title.

See I've gone and bought a Ryzen CPU so kind of feel to get the most from it I need an AMD GPU.

Soldato
Are we still doing this thing where people think that because of Doom, Vulkan is an inherently AMD-favored API?

It's not just because of Doom, as AMD's Mantle was the basis for Vulkan and, DX12 has huge similarities to both api's, it's not too hard to imagine that some people have the opinion that at this moment in time AMD actually do know how to get better performance from an architecture specifically built for these new APi's.

Associate
Is this an AMD or Nvidia tying? I imagine Nvidia considering Fallout 4 was a Gameworks title.

See I've gone and bought a Ryzen CPU so kind of feel to get the most from it I need an AMD GPU.

bethesda is working with AMD now, for almost all their catalogue of games including fallout 4.
about Ryzen, Nvidia will optimize their drivers for Ryzen, they would want their GPU to work well no matter the cpu you use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom