• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD VEGA confirmed for 2017 H1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am curious if Vega will require more system memory to run properly compared to regular cards due to its paging techniques? Are there any tech details on this yet?

Obviously yes. I mean, if you have a 4GB card and have a game with 6GB worth of textures, the data has to live somewhere, doesn't it?

We still don't know anything about how the HBCC works, so one can only guess. Here, let me go wild:

Maybe it would be possible to have a slider in Wattman for configuring how much "total VRAM" you want. If you set it to 8GB (and have a 4GB card) you'd need an extra 4GB from system RAM, but that'd be up to you. Say you want to use only 2GB of system RAM maximum, then you could just set the slider to 6GB and you'd achieve that.

Maybe games themselves would be able to configure this by talking to the driver (some AMD-specific API) so that they negotiate the best amount of system RAM to use, based on their actual texture pack size, the actual VRAM on the card, and the actual available system RAM.

Either way, actual usage will be 'whatever the game really loads'. I don't know how technically-minded you are, but there is such a thing as "virtual address space" for memory (which Vega's HBCC is heavily using) and that allows you to translate a memory address to something physical (RAM on the card OR in the system), but it can also be 'orphan' and translate to 'nowhere' (we call such an address unmapped). So if you don't actually load anything into that virtual address, it will not actually occupy actual RAM. Example again: I have the 4GB card, configured it as 8GB in Wattman, but am running a game that actually uses 4.5GB: the game would start loading into the card's virtual addresses and anything from 4GB to 4.5GB would end up occupying half a gig of system RAM, but that's all that would be used (in that sense, the 8GB I configured in Wattman is a limit, not a buffer to be reserved).

Maybe Vega supports compression to move the data in packed format and better exploit bandwidth (like they already do on the cards themselves). Sure for actual VRAM this does not allow you to save space (it's only done to increase throughput), but in the HBCC case it actually can also save space (due to virtual addresses as explained above). So if a game is using 6GB of which 2GB need to be in system memory, compressing them may end up making those use fit in just 1GB.

Again, we know nothing and the range of options is limitless!

personally i think something went really wrong with Vega, because they seemed to have it working for quite some time, pretty sure Q1 release was very possible.
at a presentation an AMD guy let slip the fact, they encountered an issue with HBCC power draw, could be more serious than expected, i don't see them waiting this long for glofo's revision of 14nm.
i think vega will have great new features, but price/power draw/performance will be underwhelming for a lot of ppl.

And do you ever remove those AMD-tinted blinkers?
I dont own a pair m8 try again. ahhh i know what happened. You looked at the sig and thought hey the dude owns an AMD card lets yell bias from the rooftops.

Saying Vega isnt a gaming card is just silly when AMD themselves have demoed Doom and Battlefront on it. I guess that is the new way of marketing these days similar to the Titan X/XlittleP cause that aint a gaming card either right?

Last edited:
Vega isnt intended for gaming? Says who? You lot? Its intended for what ever amd say its intended for and they are marketing it as a gaming card. In thay case the 1080ti, titan x and titanxp are not intended for gaming. Titan x was not intended for gaming and everyone knows the 1080ti is the same gpu essentially with faster memory. Titan xp is the full chip which is also not inteded for gaming. Yet they release drivers that improve gaming peformance? Ofc vega is inteded for gaming from a consumer end.

Says Doom112, and we all know he has a balanced view and what he says can be trusted and taken seriously. So if he says it is not a gaming card, that is good enough for me! :p

Haha. I am not exactly in a rush anyway. Got a 1080 and enjoying that. Besides, we don't even know when Freesync 2 monitors will be coming out. Bloody AMD, get your finger out and at least let us know about the damn Freesync 2 monitors!

I suspect we will get more info with the Vega release :)

Haha. I am not exactly in a rush anyway. Got a 1080 and enjoying that. Besides, we don't even know when Freesync 2 monitors will be coming out. Bloody AMD, get your finger out and at least let us know about the damn Freesync 2 monitors!

I suspect we will get more info with the Vega release :)
Yer, that was aimed at the last 4 pages :D

I really do hope AMD have a blinder of a card in Vega though and Freesync2 will make sure the chaff from the wheat is sorted and Manufacturers have to follow the guidelines to claim F2, so Freesync will be more controlled like G-Sync is.

Maybe Vega supports compression to move the data in packed format and better exploit bandwidth (like they already do on the cards themselves). Sure for actual VRAM this does not allow you to save space (it's only done to increase throughput), but in the HBCC case it actually can also save space (due to virtual addresses as explained above). So if a game is using 6GB of which 2GB need to be in system memory, compressing them may end up making those use fit in just 1GB.

AFAIK the GPU requires textures to be highly ordered, where compression would mean ever changing memory boundaries. Would require some pretty clever logic to keep track of what texture is where, and what its layout in memory is, which is possible. From memory the bigger issue was the GPU requires very particular layout of data for efficiency reasons.

Can't remember the low level details, but it was a compelling argument against compressing the stored data, when I last checked.

personally i think something went really wrong with Vega, because they seemed to have it working for quite some time, pretty sure Q1 release was very possible.
at a presentation an AMD guy let slip the fact, they encountered an issue with HBCC power draw, could be more serious than expected, i don't see them waiting this long for glofo's revision of 14nm.
i think vega will have great new features, but price/power draw/performance will be underwhelming for a lot of ppl.

I thought the VEGA release date was always 2H 2017. As for the HBCC power draw issue, everything in engineering is an issue. Even trivial tasks tend to throw up problems, so any decent company, which AMD absolutely is, will bargain for issues along the way.

I wouldn't underestimate AMD's engineering ability btw. They apply formal methods (mathematical proof of correctness) to their designs which is nothing short of terrifying. Very few organisations have this capability, Intel being one other.

You might be right though, might be a proper show stopper :(

Why i do not like AMD as a tech fan due to this
These are from their "Why do you rebel" generator:

I rebel against anti-consumer practices

I rebel for linux support

I rebel for open software collaborations

I rebel for a close-knit gaming community

I rebel for the perfect multi-kill replay

I rebel for smooth framerates

I rebel for clutch 1v1

I rebel for full control over my GPU

I rebel for a community that builds it forward

I rebel for chilled GPU temps

I rebel for day 1 drivers

I rebel for more Vulkan support

I rebel for the flexibility of PC gaming

I rebel for open standards

I rebel against proprietary technologies

I rebel for consumer privacy

I rebel for the LAN experience

I rebel for indie games

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/662ywe/radeon_taking_shots_at_geforce_on_the_rx_500_site/

***REMOVED***
And creating this type of advertisement, creating hate against other brand, brainwash, and creating a cult is to me is a simply a **** move from AMD.

This type simply show the depression of AMD to sell there products and creating hate for other brand. They are simply saying that Nvidia is an establishment of evil corporation and AMD is freedom fighters, angle and good people fighting against them.

Creating this type of promotion is better that AMD sell its self and creating products like RX 580 is better that they do not create any GPU.

*** DON'T LINK TO COMPETITORS AND DON'T AVOID THE SWEAR FILTER - Armageus ***

Last edited by a moderator:

I rebel for clutch 1v1

I rebel for indie games

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/662ywe/radeon_taking_shots_at_geforce_on_the_rx_500_site/

**removed***
And creating this type of advertisement, creating hate against other brand, brainwash, and creating a cult is to me is a simply a **** move from AMD.

This type simply show the depression of AMD to sell there products and creating hate for other brand. They are simply saying that Nvidia is an establishment of evil corporation and AMD is freedom fighters, angle and good people fighting against them.

Creating this type of promotion is better that AMD sell its self and creating products like RX 580 is better that they do not create any GPU.

erm a lot of your list has me confused.. so the list above is why you are anti AMD ? wow am i missing something here!!

At least he admits it so we can disregard everything he says from now on :).

Your negativity toward AMD has preceded this ad campaign though, plus it's just an ad campaign. It's no different to Nvidia running "runs best on Nvidia" like they did for years in games.

At least he admits it so we can disregard everything he says from now on :).

Your negativity toward AMD has preceded this ad campaign though, plus it's just an ad campaign. It's no different to Nvidia running "runs best on Nvidia" like they did for years in games.

No idea what he's on about. Is that a list of things he's against? Or things he dislikes AMD for?

He's usually all over the place but one thing is a constant, and that's his disdain for anything AMD.

I guess every forum has one of those, for each brand though.

No idea what he's on about. Is that a list of things he's against? Or things he dislikes AMD for?

He's usually all over the place but one thing is a constant, and that's his disdain for anything AMD.

I guess every forum has one of those, for each brand though.

Seems he blames AMD for coming up with a campaign that's working quite well and it's their fault what the public are writing in their surveys. That's how I am reading it at least.

I rebel for clutch 1v1

I rebel for indie games

***removed***

Maybe we have a language barrier as most of that list could quite easily be more relevant to Nvidias practices than AMD's.

*** Report posts rather than following up with Personal insults - Thanks, Armageus ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom