• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD VEGA confirmed for 2017 H1

Status
Not open for further replies.
So you are saying the Fixer thing is much worse than what Nvidia did with 970 then? Wow dude. lol
Again you are comparing 2 different things Product information and Campaign/promotion . If you want to go like this than Bulldozer presentation is much more worse than GTX 970.

Both AMD and Nvidia are megacorporations, legally obligated to suck you of your money. Stop acting like it's a battle between good and evil, guys. Neither of these companies are your friend.
Exactly! This is why I just go with what is best for me! This is why I want a healthy AMD as it will good for us. I want best price for performance.

Nope, it's just that your posts have been skewed in AMD's favour and it's getting pretty blatant of late.
So because there has been more positive things to say about AMD than their competitors when it comes to business morals(not because they want to but because they have to) I am suddenly not allowed to speak my mind about it? Everything positive I have posted about AMD has been rooted in facts yet that is apparently the same thing as being bias aka not acknowledging their slip ups according to you which is completely untrue. There has been a **** ton of misinformation on these forums and when I see something that is clearly wrong, such as Vega being a pure workstation card and not for gaming, am I not allowed to correct that unless I wanted to be tagged fanboy on the spot? Jesus these forums can gone down the toilet.

I have clearly hit a nerve with you. Now I can look at your sig and see 1080ti and perhaps I should make the same mistake as you have and say ahh nvidia fan that must be it. You feel the need to defend the brand of your choosing with zealous retribution. Makes sense. It seems these days that if someone does not agree with you(general term) you are to yell fanboy on the spot instead of deliver counter arguments and proof which you personally have done 0 off regarding my other posts.

Ugh, AMD vs. NVidia. Both are not evil companies. They're motivated by their shareholder's demands for dividends and capital growth.

Evil companies are the Monsanto's/Patent Trolls of this world!

Price vs. Performance (vs. Power). Now to find some performance, price and power figures..................

Did you even click the link? The lawsuits failed because AMD never lied.

Not quite and before you accuse others of not checking their sources you yourself should read beyond the headline as the lawsuit is still ongoing. The claim that the lawsuit (Tony Dickey vs AMD INC) is bogus is just an editorial opinion, as far as I'm aware no legal judgement has been made.

Has it really been 2 years since AMD's last 'proper' launch?

Considering investing in a FreeSync / Gysnc monitor 'locks' you in to a GPU vendor the fact Nvidia release cards regularly is definitely a plus.

Saying that I generally keep GPU for 2 - 2.5years so not a big issue per se but still AMD need to be competing yearly at the high end.

Not quite and before you accuse others of not checking their sources you yourself should read beyond the headline as the lawsuit is still ongoing. The claim that the lawsuit (Tony Dickey vs AMD INC) is bogus is just an editorial opinion, as far as I'm aware no legal judgement has been made.

Actually it's been dismissed, but Dickey has until 13 May to resubmit, and amend his complaint that corrects the deficiencies in his submissions.

He's been losing on the points of "not a true 8 core", and has been shifting towards warranty complaints, and that shared Cache is wrong, he's just trying to drag it out now.

http://www.leagle.com/decision/In FDCO 20160408M22/DICKEY v. ADVANCED MICRO DEVICES, INC.#
Nevertheless, because plaintiff has not alleged sufficient facts regarding his understanding of the term "core," his claim for breach of warranty is dismissed with leave to amend.

Plaintiff's unjust enrichment claim is superfluous, and, accordingly, dismissed.

For the foregoing reasons, the court GRANTS defendant's motion to dismiss with leave to amend.
Plaintiff shall submit an amended complaint that corrects the deficiencies identified in this order. Furthermore, a case management conference will be held on May 13, 2016 at 10:30 a.m.

Last edited:
VEGA has always been scheduled for end of H1 2017 so not sure why some trolls are claiming there is trouble with VEGA development. Trying to swing the impatient no doubt.

AFAIK the GPU requires textures to be highly ordered, where compression would mean ever changing memory boundaries. Would require some pretty clever logic to keep track of what texture is where, and what its layout in memory is, which is possible. From memory the bigger issue was the GPU requires very particular layout of data for efficiency reasons.

Can't remember the low level details, but it was a compelling argument against compressing the stored data, when I last checked.

I think what you may be referring to the incorrect assumption of some people that memory compression allows a card to use bigger textures than its VRAM size, which is totally bogus. A games allocating 5GB VRAM will require 5GB VRAM no matter what. Even if the card manages to compress it down to 3GB it does not mean you could run it on 970 (for example).

Like you said, what matters in practice is the ADDRESS of data which needs to be fixed, identifiable and continuous.

This is exactly what virtual addressing solves (if you're interested): the data appears to be in continuous virtual addresses, but in practice the data may be in any random physical address (either in RAM, or even on hard disk). That's how modern OSs work. Vega's memory addresses (being virtual) could land on actual VRAM/system-RAM/whatever and need not be continuous in physical space (the HBCC translates to actual destination). Stuff will get "paged in/out" of VRAM as required and as far as the software is concerned, it's all in "one single continuous ordered address space of fixed size".

The problem with all this stuff is that it costs watts and AMD are already not doing great in that area...

Once again: lots of SPECULATION in these posts of mine...

Just remembered, Gibbo said 1080s are getting whacked back up, can't remember if it was now, or in May, but they're going back to £500+, so why would Nvidia do that, when Vegas coming out, put their prices up, instead of down ?

:p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom