• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD VEGA confirmed for 2017 H1

Status
Not open for further replies.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Hahahaha :D

I played along to sucker in more people, it seems to have worked very well :p

You know I was thinking of you when I said that ;)

Exactly, AMD could probably charge the same as Nvidia if they released their cards at the same time and had their own selling point, but it's a year later, which isn't a short amount of time in the GPU market.

Yep. I have been saying this for nearly a year. By the time Vega is out and is even Titan XP performance, they will need to charge around £500 or so for it. But at the time when I said it some people got mad completely missing the point :p

Caporegime
I see your point. But it does kind of annoy me when people say the AMD product will HAVE to be cheaper than a similarly performing Nvidia product. I mean why? It just perpetuates this myth that "nvidias better innit".
I happen to think AMDs software is actually better than "Geforce "give us all your details" experience now anyway. Not to mention the fact I prefer their business practices.
If identically performing products where available from AMD and Nvidia for the same price, I would pick the AMD card at this time.
Well in this case, NVidia have had that "similar performing product" out for a year and a bit, so when you release something that performs the same and charge a 'premium price' that would be silly. Get your product that is faster than the competition out first and you can then charge that premium price but turn up late to the party with the same game and nobody is interested!

Associate
Yeah, if they launched something that was for example 20% more powerful than the 1080ti, then yeah, bring out the wallet destroying prices, but until then, they are seemingly just playing catch-up.

Associate
I agree with you to be honest.

I believe Lisa Su said she was going for a large market percentage, and pricing them at the same price as Nvidia, a year later than them, doesn't sound like a great idea to me.

I'm not sure how Vega is going to fit in price/performance wise, when I've seen some RX580s go for £300.

There is also the public perception as noted in above posts. Whilst you and I may not view them as a sub-par product, lots of people unfortunately do, same with Ryzen.
I know numerous people that still refuse to buy Ryzen, just because they like Intel and still think AMD is the poor pleb alternative. It's a shame really.

Agree it is a shame that the poor pleps buying Intel now are wasting there money :p

Associate
Yeah, I've tried to convince people otherwise, but still buy Intel, their loss I guess.

Looking forward to what Zen offers in the future. :)

It will change over time ...

On a serious note how about this being the issue for AMD just as simple as a colour

https://blog.kissmetrics.com/communicating-color-efficiently/

Also Blue for Intel ...Blue seems to be the most likeable colour around the globe

https://yougov.co.uk/news/2015/05/12/blue-worlds-favourite-colour/

Last edited:
Caporegime
It is certainly possible to increase pricing and change your products to be premium centric with appropriate marketing. Stella beer is a classic example, a truly terrible beer that had declining sales but they increased the price and threw a load of money at marketing it as a premium beer. Sales sky rocketed and profits ballooned.

The difficultly for graphics cards is they are reviewed and benchmarked so people have objective reasons for not believing in the premium marketing. If AMD had released a 1080 competitor at the 1080 launch they certainly could have and should have released it at the same price point. A year later that isn't such an obvious move.

Also, if the rumors are true and there is a very tight supply of Vega cards and HBM2 prices are high then I don't see AMD charging less than Nvidia pricing. They may not be able to keep up with demand anyway so might as well maximize profits.

AMD don't need to set lower prices. If you look at performance per Dollar:
https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Sapphire/RX_580_Nitro_Plus/32.html

The RX480 and 10760 have basically the same ratio, the RX580 has worse performance per dollar. Supposedly RX480 is selling OK. Given the HBM2 and interposer costs, die size etc I imagine the vega 1080 competitor to be very similarly priced but AMD will make a lot less profit.

Associate
Lots of gaming companies use red though don't they?

ROG, MSI just off the top of my head.

Corsair just cover their backside and have every colour going :p

Agree but AMD seem to be all Red with a little white ..MSI RED but more black ...and yes corsair have you covered with the full spectrum of the rainbow :D

To Add i am sure AMD's website use to be more red and it seems recently they have moved over to a more black look ....would love to see if there older website's where more red ...Yes ATI used to be more red but i am sure AMD was too ...

Last edited:
Associate
AMD either need to outperform the competition, or outprice. (is this a word?)

If they plan on releasing similar performance, for similar prices, I've no idea how they expect to gain a large percentage of market share.

Associate
Agree but AMD seem to be all Red with a little white ..MSI RED but more black ...and yes corsair have you covered with the full spectrum of the rainbow :D

Don't Coca Cola use red and white? They don't do too badly for themselves.

On another note, it seems like GPUs, at least from AMD are stagnating abit, I've owned a R9 290 for a while now, and AMD still have yet to release anything that is worth upgrading to.

The 390, 480 and 580, 3 generations worth, don't offer much to upgrade to imo.

I guess this is what Vega hopes to change.

Associate
AMD is a premium product. It's hardly a Chinese knockoff. Give me one good reason why a 1060 is premium and a RX580 is not? Madness. It's not know as inferior other than because people read posts like yours.
i do not think that, but half the planet thinks that, that's the core issue here?
as exemple the 1060 6GB released for 259$, the RX480 8GB for 229$, and the 1060 outsold the 480 even though it came out 2 months later i think.
could you please tell me at what 480 premium price AMD would have outsold the 1060 with ? i dare you to find a realistic positive outcome with what you suggested.

Last edited:
Associate
Don't Coca Cola use red and white? They don't do too badly for themselves.

On another note, it seems like GPUs, at least from AMD are stagnating abit, I've owned a R9 290 for a while now, and AMD still have yet to release anything that is worth upgrading to.

The 390, 480 and 580, 3 generations worth, don't offer much to upgrade to imo.

I guess this is what Vega hopes to change.

Agree good point re coca

Soldato
Santander
Vodafone
HSBC
Lego
Marvel
Bugatti
Netflix
red hat
Mitsubishi
Oracle
Quicksilver
Kodak
CNN
Canon
Heinz
Virgin (entire group)
McDonalds
Pizza hut
Marriot
Levis

... Yeah I think we can put that myth to bed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom