• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD VEGA confirmed for 2017 H1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
My 1080 is a 4K card. It runs 99% of my steam library 4K maxed out with easy :p

Man the 1080 struggles to keep WoW at a decent frame rate at 1080p, never mind 4K. :p

I'm actually rather excited for Vega still, the 980Ti in my system was bought 03 June, 2015.
If the RX Vega is slightly slower than the 1080Ti in gaming it'll still be significantly better in everything else I need it for.

All that matters then it price for me; and I hope AMD is very competitive there; if so they have a buy from me.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Man the 1080 struggles to keep WoW at a decent frame rate at 1080p, never mind 4K. :p

I'm actually rather excited for Vega still, the 980Ti in my system was bought 03 June, 2015.
If the RX Vega is slightly slower than the 1080Ti in gaming it'll still be significantly better in everything else I need it for.

All that matters then it price for me; and I hope AMD is very competitive there; if so they have a buy from me.

lol. Yeah, my fps took at big dip on Prey after updating to the latest driver hotfix from nvidia and patch for Prey. Bloody Nvidia, I was keeping 60fps mostly before, now keeps dipping into the 50's all the time. I just uninstalled it, will play my 2nd playthrough in the future once more patches come out. Great game, enjoyed playing it 60fps on my 1080 4K card ;):p

We are similar, we just want AMD to get the price right and not milk us like Nvidia. Nvidia's shares have been soaring as they have been milking us hardcore. I am happy for AMD to milk their top end card like a Titan, just keep the card below which is 10-15% slower at a good price.

Soldato
What sort of framerate does a 1080 TI get in that opening scene of sniper elite 4 at 4k and high image quality settings?

Around 69 at 4K ultra in that game when overclocked.
http://www.pcgameshardware.de/Gefor...afikkarte-265855/Tests/Test-Review-1222421/2/

2b01152cd10548bbb2cb0e4fa2285d63.png

Last edited:
Permabanned
So 70fps but only when overclocked. 57.7 when stock so the Vega result looks good.

Yes and No, The one thing we can be confident in is that AMD are showing us best case examples. Look at the examples we saw for the Fury X just before it released. Same with Ryzens gaming results.
So if it can get close to the 1080ti in titles that favour GCN it'll mean it's a 1080 competitor in everything else.
There's also a big question mark regarding overclocking because lately none of there products overclock by much.
IMO the pricing is a concern because it looks like they're overcompensating with the smoke and mirrors look.

Man of Honour
I'm not sure they need to beat the 1080Ti.
What they need is competitively priced cards against 1070 and 1080. That's where the meat of the market is.
The only problem is the 10x0 series has been on the market for 1 year now. So anyone who wanted one has got one, I don't see them gaining a lot of market if they don't have competition for 1080Ti.
With that being said, there are plenty of people using Freesync or with 290's that want to upgrade them. This would be a good opportunity for them.

It would be good for them but not for AMD - AMD needs to be making money not just to make a profit from where they are up to now but also to invest in ongoing R&D which is getting increasingly expensive - 10nm design cost is something like 4x 28nm and 7nm is projected to be a whopping 9x 28nm. They need to be hitting the ground running against nVidia's 10x0 replacements not those cards themselves or bring something completely new and paradigm shifting to the market.

Soldato
Yes and No, The one thing we can be confident in is that AMD are showing us best case examples. Look at the examples we saw for the Fury X just before it released. Same with Ryzens gaming results.
So if it can get close to the 1080ti in titles that favour GCN it'll mean it's a 1080 competitor in everything else.
There's also a big question mark regarding overclocking because lately none of there products overclock by much.
IMO the pricing is a concern because it looks like they're overcompensating with the smoke and mirrors look.

I know that but it did (briefly) show a 10-20% increase in stock 1080Ti fps so hopefully with a normal game it will be similar/potentially a little better.

If they get the pricing right, and have good availability it'll be a winner.

Soldato

I doubt Vega will be nearly 30% slower than the 1080Ti in games on average, while somehow matching it in other games.
That's the difference between the Ti and 1080.
That gap seems far far too large of a variance depending on games for Vega.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/11180/the-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-ti-review/17
4c998fa629d34602bb418a587690c4f8.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom