• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD VEGA confirmed for 2017 H1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
If Nvidia feel they are loosing lots of sales to AMD by people who have a freesync monitor then yes. However, as it stands Nvidia are still maintaining nearly 80% of the discrete desktop GPU sales so there is no sign of many fresync owner really swinging the sales stats.

Something similar happens back in the chipsets days when only where chipsets where supporting SLI, the 680i/780i where both relatively pap next to Intel's offerings on the high end, sales dropped and they got out of the chipset business for better or worse.

End result SLI was licence for non nvidia chipsets finally.

Off topic

I still kinds long for the days when there was more than the CPU vendor supplying chipset for there CPU's, I grew up with the likes of SiS, VIA making chipsets. At one point in the Athlon 64 days we had SIS, VIA, AMD/ATI and Nvidia making chipsets for the platform.

bru

bru

Soldato
I still kinds long for the days when there was more than the CPU vendor supplying chipset for there CPU's, I grew up with the likes of SiS, VIA making chipsets. At one point in the Athlon 64 days we had SIS, VIA, AMD/ATI and Nvidia making chipsets for the platform.

VIA still make X86 motherboards with their own quad core CPU's embedded into them and I think SIS sold their x86 department to somebody else.

Soldato
Nvidia are priced too high for me so holding on to a 2 gen old card is an easier decision for me.

The total sales dropped 20%, not good for either company really although amd has some positives for a change.

Caporegime
I'm chuffed to bits about that, this is exactly what we need, AMD back in profit and growing before Zen and the new Consoles even hit.

Healthy sales of the new GPU's before Vega.
Zen looks like it might even give Intel cold sweats let alone add to AMD's good health. China already has massive orders for Zen, IBM possibly too.
The whole world of Consoles built on AMD again.

Last edited:
Soldato
I wonder if i am the only person on the planet holding onto a 290 waiting for Vega and ignoring the Polaris and Pascal cards? and even the Maxwell cards? If i am not and there are others like me, i wonder how many people are actually brand loyal or price / performance conscious and have 3yr or so upgrade cycles?

Basically i wonder if there are many 290 owners who are waiting for the next equivalent AMD card? ie an AMD high end card they can buy and use for a good 3 or so years?

Man of Honour
I wonder if i am the only person on the planet holding onto a 290 waiting for Vega and ignoring the Polaris and Pascal cards? and even the Maxwell cards? If i am not and there are others like me, i wonder how many people are actually brand loyal or price / performance conscious and have 3yr or so upgrade cycles?

Basically i wonder if there are many 290 owners who are waiting for the next equivalent AMD card? ie an AMD high end card they can buy and use for a good 3 or so years?

Waiting for Vega but still have Hawaii

I really liked Hawaii, very solid and reliable on water.

Fiji is ok if you use one or two.

RX480 I really like but are only good for 3 way until AMD sort the drivers. I really like the cards though but I am not sure why myself. They just seem to look feel and run ok.:)

Caporegime

Waiting for Vega.

I'm no longer going to upgrade my GPU's every 10 to 14 Months like i used to, from here on i'm probably going to hang on to cards for 2 years +.
With that i can't see any longevity in Pascal, or anything Nvidia TBH.

Soldato

Still sat on a pair of 290's myself and waiting for something to be a decent upgrade when Crossfire is working (which is most of the games I play) where currently even a 1080 would only be an upgrade when Crossfire doesn't work (Just Cause 3 mostly for me).

Maybe when Vega's fully out and the 1080ti/1180 is out I'll have an upgrade path to a single GPU. Weirdly though, kind of love my 290's as they still perform amazingly, especially for the age, so will need to be a special card to make me want to leave them behind. :D

Associate

I'm still sticking with my 295x2, I don't generally play bleeding edge games on release so XFire issues aren't too bad for me. Having said that I would like to switch to a single card solution when something is released that is a good value upgrade but there's nothing around at the moment. I'm hoping Vega will bring something to the table to finally tempt me but in the mean time Hawaii is still putting up a good fight.

Soldato
That's how I'm now looking at it, By waiting the extra time and adding XXX each month I'll use that to justify the outlay.

I had £2k set aside to upgrade my PC, all the delay is doing is increasing what I can spend, I might end up with an 8/16 Zen, new Ram and Mobo and a pair of big Vega at this rate.

I don't mind waiting, im playing wow for the next 6 months I guess so that will take me into next year anyhow on my 290.

bru

bru

Soldato
Waiting for Vega.

I'm no longer going to upgrade my GPU's every 10 to 14 Months like i used to, from here on i'm probably going to hang on to cards for 2 years +.
With that i can't see any longevity in Pascal, or anything Nvidia TBH.

Even though I understand what your saying, but seeing as you have a 970 there will be some longevity your currant Maxwell card at least.

I do feel that even though most of us agree that if your going to hold onto a card for a longer period then AMD can be a better choice, especially where a 1060 or 480 is the choice. Nearly all the last gen midrange cards ( 290/390 970/980) will still be good enough till next year anyway.

As somebody mentioned in another thread, a 1080 is overkill for 1920*1200p, well yes maybe but we don't need 5 GHz+ CPU's with as many cores as we can get, SLI TitanX's (Pascal ones of course) but we would all have them if we could.

I was so undecided about getting a 1070, with the price being just a bit too high for my liking, but now I am pretty much settled on waiting till next year too. Lets see what Vega and Volta can bring to the table.

Associate

Not quite the same but I would have gone for a 1080 if they were £100 less or so. Due to missing that I have bought a 21:9 freesync monitor and can't quite believe I waited so long to make use of variable refresh rate tech. Vega will be my next upgrade but I may not buy on launch. I'm happy enough with performance at the moment and think I'll get better life out of the Fury than I would from a 980 which was my other option.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom