• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD VEGA confirmed for 2017 H1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Vega didnt run max clocks to beat the 1080 in battlefront or Doom.
Its run on un-mature drivers still.
It has with the 2 weeks old card demoed in CES shown AMD has a huge winner on their hands.

So, Vega beats Nvidias cards easily.
Starbound power coming to you.
Time to sell your 1080 and buy the real deal.

Very likely but it needs to be something really exiting specs wise. Not another power hungry 4096+ core card to beat or equal a card nearly a year old and with nearly half the cores.

Second is price. HMB2 with the power they say it has. If its faster than the 1080 I wouldn't expect it to be much cheaper if at all.

If AMD do all this right then they are onto a winner. But I wouldn't expect a 1080 "killer" for peanuts.

Last edited:
Soldato
What deems something a winner or a killer when we talking GPU performance?
Because to me something a winer or a killer is performance you notice like me going from a 290 to Vega is a winner/killer performance that am sure I would notice.

So is Vega going to be a killer? I very much doubt performance is going to be that much bigger or even lower than a 1080.

But most of you guys on here will label Vega doomed because it lost 10fps vs 1080

:D

Caporegime
HBM2 will help with longevity and big resolutions, so that will be a plus but yer, not cheap and if it doesn't surpass a 1080 in the majority of games, it will be disappointing. Butter it up but it is late to the party by quite a margin and will need to be much cheaper than the 1080 for it to sell well.

Associate
Anecdotes is not data.

It doesn't matter if only a small percent of people do complete the survey, as long as there is no boas. There is no evidence of bias, and as I said above, the steam results matched the shipping volumes for the most part.

razor1/shintai please provide us factual data, based on real world numbers, not NVIDIA shareholder or stock trader estimations.

Man of Honour
That's 3 AMD users already take out of the results so the steam survey can only be used has a guide without knowing how meny people opt out its a pointless debate.

All it needs to do is poll a broad enough cross section of the steam user base so be fairly accurate without having to poll the entire lot aslong as its picking equally randomly from all regions, etc. for every 3 AMD users here who've not been surveyed you'd probably find another 3 who use a different vendor as well.

There is the aspect of some GPUs might be in not insignificant volume purchased for compute tasks, etc. which wouldn't be represented in the steam survey and so on but largely as an approximate guide it is accurate enough.

Caporegime
I'm not sure you are still included in the stats - I think it samples say 1 million users randomly each month and compares to the previous sample.

(Which produces a broad cross section - its not 100% accurate but it will be indicatively accurate).

How is a random proportion of users in anyway accurate? in years of Steam i have had about 4 invites to partake in their hardware survey and rejected the last 3.

Soldato
Nice to see that certain posters (e.g. DP) that are financially involved with NVIDIA, are threatened enough to come into the VEGA thread informing us that the 1060 outsold the RX480 4:1.

Absolutely delightful :)

Caporegime
Nice to see that certain posters (e.g. DP) that are financially involved with NVIDIA, are threatened enough to come into the VEGA thread informing us that the 1060 outsold the RX480 4:1.

Absolutely delightful :)

Heh, what, i have absolutely zero financial involvement with Nvidia. :rolleyes: Pathetic accusation without a shred of evidence

The only people with financial involvement with either AMD or Nvidia in drunkenmaster.

Caporegime
Sigh!!! Can't we discuss the pro's and con's like adults? I do wish people wouldn't stoop to such low levels and just discuss the topic at hand. I genuinely can't wait for the new cards from both AMD and NVidia to drop and I am not even interested in buying this round (not to say I won't though) :D

Caporegime
How is a random proportion of users in anyway accurate? in years of Steam i have had about 4 invites to partake in their hardware survey and rejected the last 3.

Do you have no knowledge of statistics? A random sample will rapidly converge to the true estimate of the population The Steam survey would only need a uniform sample of 1000-2000 users to realize very small error margins. Steam probably surveys 10x that amount

Caporegime
Sigh!!! Can't we discuss the pro's and con's like adults? I do wish people wouldn't stoop to such low levels and just discuss the topic at hand. I genuinely can't wait for the new cards from both AMD and NVidia to drop and I am not even interested in buying this round (not to say I won't though) :D

Agreed, the Witch hunts are incredibly pathetic and unfounded.

Permabanned
And what numbers to you would smashing it come under? :D

Because from my understanding when a current Gen GPU vs current Gen they is never any smashing going on its more likely a tiny difference that none of us would even feel in a game.

You guys on here make these performances difference much worse than they really are lol
10fps Vega getting smashed Rip AMD xd
10fps is nothing, if you're getting 100fps on Nvidia, and 90fps on AMD, then you wont notice the difference while playing, but the fact is, that extra 10fps the Nvidia card is getting, will see them hammering AMD on sales.

It will matter when we are talking about the big AAA games that only run in the 40's or 50's. I'm on 3440x1440 now and my Fury does an okay job but an extra 20 or so frames would make a lot of difference and allow me to run it with settings turned up more, Some games sit in the 30's at the moment so with an extra 50% it would still struggle to get past 50 fps. So ideally I would like 1080 levels of performance on all the api's and I've got my fingers crossed for just that.

Last edited:
Soldato

No we must start picking on individuals instead of data and information we have or have not and made up anyway. :p

Hoping Vega comes sooner rather then later so we have more facts to look at instead of bickering

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom