• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD WEEKEND ONLY DEAL 7900 XT FROM £729 !!!!

Still too much. I've given up now, I am only prepared to pay these prices when I absolutely must, which will not be for some time. The excitement has gone for "upgrades" now. It's all just too expensive. I can't justify it any more.
In the same boat here. Should give me plenty of time to finally work through the back log on the steam deck at least.

Still too much. I've given up now, I am only prepared to pay these prices when I absolutely must, which will not be for some time. The excitement has gone for "upgrades" now. It's all just too expensive. I can't justify it any more.
Yep, plus one for me. Wanted to swap out the 3070 for an AMD card as my monitor is Freesync Pro compatible. 3070 does work on the monitor for g sync compatible but it doesn't feel like it in games sometimes.

I prefer AMD too tbh, their GUI is so much better than Nvidias.

The issue is value, I just can't bring myself to buy an expensive AMD card just now either. My goal would be "6800XT level card" as my screen is a 34" 1440p 144Hz setup and I want the extra juice for 1440p.

New AMD cards are just ridiculous with pricing so it's last gen for me...but even then, I can't justify it :/

Yep, plus one for me. Wanted to swap out the 3070 for an AMD card as my monitor is Freesync Pro compatible. 3070 does work on the monitor for g sync compatible but it doesn't feel like it in games sometimes.

I prefer AMD too tbh, their GUI is so much better than Nvidias.

The issue is value, I just can't bring myself to buy an expensive AMD card just now either. My goal would be "6800XT level card" as my screen is a 34" 1440p 144Hz setup and I want the extra juice for 1440p.

New AMD cards are just ridiculous with pricing so it's last gen for me...but even then, I can't justify it :/
If you had got it (7900xt) for £728 that was a steal from OCUK tbh. It’s 30% uplift from 6800xt and as such £650-700 is reasonable. £728 was a good deal irrespective of the individuals who think this should have been cheaper. You’re getting 20gb vram and better RT (at 3090 level) and better raster between 4070ti and 4080. It will last ages with that vram.

If you had got it (7900xt) for £728 that was a steal from OCUK tbh. It’s 30% uplift from 6800xt and as such £650-700 is reasonable. £728 was a good deal irrespective of the individuals who think this should have been cheaper. You’re getting 20gb vram and better RT (at 3090 level) and better raster between 4070ti and 4080. It will last ages with that vram.

£728 for a GPU isn't in my ball park for hardware outlay. When you get to my age (Sliding fast into 50) you're interest in games wanes and your value of money for hardware, is also heightened. No way I'll pay more than £500 for any graphics card. Even then it's more like £400 max.

£728 for a GPU isn't in my ball park for hardware outlay. When you get to my age (Sliding fast into 50) you're interest in games wanes and your value of money for hardware, is also heightened. No way I'll pay more than £500 for any graphics card. Even then it's more like £400 max.
Fair enough but for £500 you don’t get a very good specification to play games at high settings.

It’s either stump up or not bother with PC gaming sadly. Consoles will always exist for those….

Fair enough but for £500 you don’t get a very good specification to play games at high settings.

It’s either stump up or not bother with PC gaming sadly. Consoles will always exist for those….

Yeah exactly, thats the point and why a lot of people are choosing not to buy. £500 shouldn't be midrange or entry and it definately shouldn't be 2.5 year old gpu prices

Also I see that the 7900xt is now no longer £728.99

Last edited:

I'll probably end up going second hand 6800XT when I see one that comes up. Buying new these days is a mugs game.

I'll probably end up going second hand 6800XT when I see one that comes up. Buying new these days is a mugs game.

That depends on the relative pricing. It's not uncommon for 2nd hand prices to be not much below new prices. I'd rather pay 5-10% more for an unused card with a warranty than buy a used card, none of which actually have a warranty.

When I last bought a graphics card, I paid £420 for the best model 1070 Ti I could find. I could have got a 1070 Ti for quite a bit less, but I paid extra for the best model I could find. The 1070 Ti was 3rd in the hierarchy and only a few percent below the 2nd in the hierarchy. That's assuming stock clocks, but the superior cooling on mine let it clock higher and beat a stock 1080 (and many overclocked 1080s - the difference between a 1080 and a 1070Ti is very small). So I had effectively the 2nd highest card in the hierarchy at the time. The performance gap between a 1080Ti (the top card in the hierarchy at the time) and my 1070 Ti is roughly the same as the gap between a 4080 and a 4090 today (i.e. the cards in the same positions in the hierarchy).

£420 then is about £550 now, allowing for inflation. A 4080 isn't £550. It's double that. And I'm not that much of a mug. The money doesn't matter. I'm in a fortunate position financially. But being taken for a mug, a laughably gullible mug, does matter.

Steam and Gog have many games that run just fine on a 1070 Ti. I'm not going to run out any time soon. I want a new toy. But I don't want to be a mug.

Jensen and Lisa note your stance

Yeah, I was having tea and biscuits with them yesterday and they were hanging on every word I said. They even wrote it all down so they wouldn't forget anything.

Obviously, nobody is suggesting that they care about anyone's stance. Certainly not that of random strangers they've never even met, whose posts they will never read.

I was hoping that they would take note of a large enough drop in sales, but they obviously don't give a damn about that because it's already happened and it's changed nothing. Neither company has much interest in the PC gaming market. They want to sell "professional" versions at £4K apiece, not "consumer" versions at £500. There's more profit in selling 1 "professional" card than there is in selling 10 "consumer" cards.

Yeah, I was having tea and biscuits with them yesterday and they were hanging on every word I said. They even wrote it all down so they wouldn't forget anything.

Obviously, nobody is suggesting that they care about anyone's stance. Certainly not that of random strangers they've never even met, whose posts they will never read.

I was hoping that they would take note of a large enough drop in sales, but they obviously don't give a damn about that because it's already happened and it's changed nothing. Neither company has much interest in the PC gaming market. They want to sell "professional" versions at £4K apiece, not "consumer" versions at £500. There's more profit in selling 1 "professional" card than there is in selling 10 "consumer" cards.
They don’t seem to care anymore despite gamers voting with their wallets.

Back
Top Bottom