• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD what you doing to fight off Alderlake?

Associate
Now if they are totally supply constrained, I'd agree it is wishful thinking.

However, like with GPUs it looks more like they have given up on the low and middle of the market. While Wall Street might love margins, leaving so much revenue on the table is madness.

While AMD's 7nm TSMC allocation might be all used up (mostly with consoles), what is stopping them from continuing with 14nm GF products, or even looking for wafers from Samsung (the later would have course take ages).

In CPUs, the lowest they have is 5600G/X so aside from not having a 6 core under £200 they have next to nothing under £100 and nothing under £50.

Lower margin products may not be glamorous, but profit is margin * volume and it seems AMD doesn't care about volume.

Soldato
Intel is launching its entry level alder lake parts at CES, lots of sub $200 CPUs coming, along with $100 motherboards.

Unless AMD does something quick, Intel is going to own the entry level market

Soldato
Not enough to keep me from the dark side. I hate Intel, but I am starting to hate a greedy AMD even more.

I expected AMD to drop their prices when the game was up. Seems they still want to play the elite game.

Associate
Intel is launching its entry level alder lake parts at CES, lots of sub $200 CPUs coming, along with $100 motherboards.

Unless AMD does something quick, Intel is going to own the entry level market
Zen 3 updates on all motherboard are coming, and they will do price cut to keep at least all AMD users on AMD platform, that will be enough till Zen 4. Consumers today are saving every penny for better gpu because it gives biggest performance boost, but at low availability and highest price so consumers won't spend money on cpu that gives 10-15 fps at best, every dollar is important, and if Nvidia and AMD releases new generation this year then even more reasons to save money.

Soldato
Not enough to keep me from the dark side. I hate Intel, but I am starting to hate a greedy AMD even more.

I expected AMD to drop their prices when the game was up. Seems they still want to play the elite game.

Intel graphics cards will be here soon. Should put an end to over priced GPU’s. Everyone will live Intel for that. Once Intel floods the market with reasonably priced high performance GPU’s, that might make people consider an buying an Alder lake CPU as a thank you.

Associate
Looking at the short future with my crystal ball I think AMD are ******, they have woken a sleeping giant who will now swat them down without degrading them too much as to be considered a manopoly in the CPU market. Due to AMD's greed in the GPU market and the lack of competition in the low end Intel are now going to steal a portion of that market share aswell.. poor AMD.. reached too far too soon.. :o

Caporegime
Looking at the short future with my crystal ball I think AMD are ******, they have woken a sleeping giant who will now swat them down without degrading them too much as to be considered a manopoly in the CPU market. Due to AMD's greed in the GPU market and the lack of competition in the low end Intel are now going to steal a portion of that market share aswell.. poor AMD.. reached too far too soon.. :o

The brutal truth is there is no money in $150 CPU's, dominating that range Intel are not hurting AMD, only their own margins.

Caporegime
At the moment, Ryzen is outselling Alder lake according to retailers like Amazon, etc. AMD Ryzen 5000 CPUs Continue to Outsell Intel's 12th Gen Lineup Across Holiday Season: Ryzen 5 5600X Topseller Worldwide | Hardware Times

Caporegime
Caporegime
A slightly unfair comparison as Intel have yet to release their full range, whereas the entire Ryzen 5000 range is available.
people believe the most popular products on these sites? often it seems to be some crap they just want to get rid off.... (not being cpu/hardware specific)
just something I seem to notice when browsing amazon and other such retailers
You can only sell what is available.

Will be interesting to see what happens with more of the stack released, if more DDR5is available and at cheaper prices, and if
motherboards become cheaper.

That’s a lot of ifs given the current climate though.

Last edited:
Caporegime
You can only sell what is available.

Will be interesting to see what happens with more of the stack released, if more DDR5is available and at cheaper prices, and if
motherboards become cheaper.

That’s a lot of ifs given the current climate though.

According to leaks the 12400 scores 8% higher than the 5600X ST and 7% higher MT in R20.

Which isn't actually all that.... the 5600X is a deliberately clock constrained chip.

What will matter is price, the 11400 was $182, it will go up to $190 given the 12700K is also $10 more expensive than the 11700K.

The 5600X price is all over the place but i have seen it as low as $239 on Rainforest US, i get the feeling AMD have already cut the price to $240 or there abouts without actually making it official, i honestly think that if AMD made it officially $199 it would explode in sales, the 12400 wouldn't get a look in...

Caporegime
Still £299 on OCUK, still quite a price

Don't use a one time price as a yard stick, as i said the price is all over the place on the 5600X, at $240 they sell an absolute crap tonne, so the retailer puts the price up, sales slow right down, prices go down again and sales explode again....

AMD need to say what the new price officially is.

Caporegime
Have to can't quote competing prices can i now
Yeah you can, just not name the places.

I got my 5600X for £238, beginning of the year near enough. £90 more than the best 3600X price, but almost £100 cheaper than the UK price at that time. Hah, they really were selling them for £330, madness.

Soldato
I agree with the above. I'm after upgrading a lot of my PC parts and Overclockers are always more expensive bar the 12700KF that i've been looking at. They're a massive £0.01 cheaper. :D

Soldato
Intel graphics cards will be here soon. Should put an end to over priced GPU’s. Everyone will live Intel for that. Once Intel floods the market with reasonably priced high performance GPU’s, that might make people consider an buying an Alder lake CPU as a thank you.

Much more likely if Intel can offer a discount deal if buying an Alder Lake CPU and an Arc Alchemist graphics card together, which I think would be a very good idea.

Last edited:
Soldato
Xbox Series X buying/selling prices aren't looking so hot now at websites like CEX, £575 for a boxed console, £525 for a 'discounted' Series X.

So, I think AMD and Microsoft are already meeting demand (by increasing the amount produced) with these consoles, and can think about diverting some of the production towards RDNA2 cards (in 2022), where they are being far out produced by Nvidia (if you look at Steam's hardware surveys for example).

AMD is far from a perfect equilibrium of GPU dies produced, vs the price charged for each graphics card. At the moment, they aren't producing enough cards, but they are 'making bank' on the ones that are sold:
https://i.investopedia.com/content/video/what_is_equilibrium/equilibrium.png

Ideally, what buyers and AMD would want, is an 'Equilibrium Quantity' of graphics cards produced, meaning 'when there is no shortage or surplus of a product in the market'.
Definition here:
https://www.investopedia.com/terms/e/equilibrium-quantity.asp

There's certainly no surplus right now... The theory is that supplying greater quantities of products can actually help sellers to maintain prices at the desired price. But if the demand falls too low, this no longer applies (because the price may be set above where supply and demand intersect, which is sub optimal).

I think the demand of AMD's cards has fallen, because they've set the price too high...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom