• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD what you doing to fight off Alderlake?

Soldato
I've said it in the ADL thread, AMD will be on 5nm next year, Zen 4 late 2022 i think, significantly improved IPC, they have the option of 24 or even 32 cores, and they are all P cores.

AMD don't even need to try to beat Raptor Lake, they will beat Alder Lake with Zen 3D, AMD have a nuclear option for Zen 4 now that Intel have signalled how aggressive they want to play it, AMD are the ones with by far the biggest nuclear arsenal and if they decide they are just going to push the button with Zen 4 they will bury Intel.

I don't usually make predictions, but Alder Lake seems to be the absolute peak of what Intel can bring with the current microarchitecture family. Perf/W is the highest level imaginable, and these chips are also huge. AMD on the other hand have big headrooms to improve things. So if I had to bet about the state of things in the next few years, it will be on AMD pushing ahead much faster than Intel.

Soldato
So much as I predicted. AL gets parity (win some, lose some), at huge power draw and heat (Noctua DH 15 getting up into the 90 degrees and nearly thermal throttling). Intel will lose the lead again in a few months when the AMD V-cache being manufactured now arrives in the market. AL is a dead end technology as Intel simply can't keep upping the power limits to get clock speed performance on their monolithic cores. AL is just a stop-gap without a future.

Soldato
So much as I predicted. AL gets parity (win some, lose some), at huge power draw and heat (Noctua DH 15 getting up into the 90 degrees and nearly thermal throttling). Intel will lose the lead again in a few months when the AMD V-cache being manufactured now arrives in the market. AL is a dead end technology as Intel simply can't keep upping the power limits to get clock speed performance on their monolithic cores. AL is just a stop-gap without a future.

Maybe a 500w CPU is next :D

Literally, this thing uses ~50w per core in ST tasks to match/beat M1 or Zen 3. WTF are they thinking.

Soldato
I don't usually make predictions, but Alder Lake seems to be the absolute peak of what Intel can bring with the current microarchitecture family. Perf/W is the highest level imaginable, and these chips are also huge. AMD on the other hand have big headrooms to improve things. So if I had to bet about the state of things in the next few years, it will be on AMD pushing ahead much faster than Intel.

Intel themselves have said as much. It’s all about ARC graphics and Ponte Vecchio until somewhere around Nova lake. Intel’s and AMD’s trajectories should cross around then.

Associate
Did you predict the 12700K and the 12600K would be better gaming CPUs than anything AMD offer while costing less and running cooler?

https://tpucdn.com/review/intel-cor...mages/relative-performance-games-1280-720.png
https://tpucdn.com/review/intel-core-i7-12700k-alder-lake-12th-gen/images/cpu-temperature.png

**Do Not Hotlink Images**

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
Soldato
Did you predict the 12700K and the 12600K would be better gaming CPUs than anything AMD offer while costing less and running cooler?

https://tpucdn.com/review/intel-cor...relative-performance-games-1280-720.png[/IMG]
https://tpucdn.com/review/intel-core-i7-12700k-alder-lake-12th-gen/images/cpu-temperature.png[/IMG]

From the article:

>> Before you wonder why some Intel temperatures are so low, note that unless indicated otherwise, all processors are tested at stock conditions with their power limit active. As designed by Intel, the CPU can exceed its TDP for a few seconds, but in the long term, the power limit is respected, which brings down temperatures considerably. We report the steady-state temperature after an extended runtime.

Temperature tests are irrelevant unless they are matched to a specific sound level (which TechPowerUp didn't do). Lower temp doesn't mean less power consumption unless the cooling capacity is identical. Different fan curves could cause any chip to appear cooler than another. Look at actual power consumption:

bYTPRdl.png

Soldato

Like a lot of people, I do more than just gaming on my PC. As per the thread title, AMD has nothing to worry about from AL. AMD V-cache chips will surpass it in the next few months, and AL's technology (ie pump vast amounts of power through a chip with fewer cores and slap some small cores on the side to pretend efficiency) is a dead end.

Associate
From the article:

>> Before you wonder why some Intel temperatures are so low, note that unless indicated otherwise, all processors are tested at stock conditions with their power limit active. As designed by Intel, the CPU can exceed its TDP for a few seconds, but in the long term, the power limit is respected, which brings down temperatures considerably. We report the steady-state temperature after an extended runtime.

Temperature tests are irrelevant unless they are matched to a specific sound level (which TechPowerUp didn't do). Lower temp doesn't mean less power consumption unless the cooling capacity is identical. Different fan curves could cause any chip to appear cooler than another. Look at actual power consumption:

How about watts/fps?
https://www.igorslab.de/wp-content/uploads/2021/11/05-720-Efficiency-1.png

Like a lot of people, I do more than just gaming on my PC. As per the thread title, AMD has nothing to worry about from AL. AMD V-cache chips will surpass it in the next few months, and AL's technology (ie pump vast amounts of power through a chip with fewer cores and slap some small cores on the side to pretend efficiency) is a dead end.
I look forward to AMD's big.little sometime in the future.

Soldato

Up for consideration after 16 core clusters and a big push on 3D. My hunch is AMD will wait to see the Win11 and software adoption rate. Right now big little seems a market distraction. Once Intel gets its act together they will probably drop the idea.

Soldato

AMD have said they will not do this. They don't need to, as their chiplet design is inherently much more efficient and scalable than anything Intel have. That's why Epyc in the server space is making Intel look like buggy whip makers.

I can see AMD maybe doing this for the mobile or laptop space at some point in the future, just like they might start building ARM if anyone wants it, but I think they will simply make their chiplet tech more performant, more efficient, and less power hungry. You don't need mobile phone style "efficient cores" if your performance cores are already capable of the same power savings at low utilization. Why stick multiple different designs together when one design can do it all?

Soldato
AMD have said they will not do this. They don't need to, as their chiplet design is inherently much more efficient and scalable than anything Intel have. That's why Epyc in the server space is making Intel look like buggy whip makers.

I can see AMD maybe doing this for the mobile or laptop space at some point in the future, just like they might start building ARM if anyone wants it, but I think they will simply make their chiplet tech more performant, more efficient, and less power hungry. You don't need mobile phone style "efficient cores" if your performance cores are already capable of the same power savings at low utilization. Why stick multiple different designs together when one design can do it all?

AMD’s design can do both with less silicon. Zen can be the Alfa and Omega. Intel is more Betas + Omegas.

Soldato
How about watts/fps?
https://www.igorslab.de/wp-content/uploads/2021/11/05-720-Efficiency-1.png[/QUOTE]

It's an interesting compromise Intel is doing.

When a low number of variably loaded high frequency cores are important their design is efficient but when it's told to max everything with heavy workload it throws efficiency right out the window to (successfully) stay competitive.

I doubt the power consumption will really bother anyone who can afford the system but I reckon the gains over what AMD has had out for a while are small enough that there's no point in rushing before AMDs next launch.

Back
Top Bottom