• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD X2 Socket 939 Prices now dropped !! (X2 3800 @ £99)

Associate
n3x said:
Hi guys, im thinking about getting an x2 3800 seeing as they are sooo cheap... is it really worth it tho considering I have my 146 @ 2.8? I'll be overclocking as much as i can but just cant see me hitting the same kinda clocks with the x2.

shall i or sharnt i? :confused:

You MIGHT get 2.8Ghz but I doubt it, I have a cherry picked Opty 170 which only does 2.85GHz with 1.4v

If your happy with what you have and it does what you need why not leave it a while and see what happens within the next few months you might want a Conroe.

n3x

n3x

Associate
kimandsally said:
You MIGHT get 2.8Ghz but I doubt it, I have a cherry picked Opty 170 which only does 2.85GHz with 1.4v

If your happy with what you have and it does what you need why not leave it a while and see what happens within the next few months you might want a Conroe.

Yeah i will prbably be getting a conroe sometime next year but I was thinking if i can get 70 - 80 for my 146 it would maybe be worth getting the x2 now. I would like to be able to watch TV at the same time as playing games. Would the x2 be up to that?

Last edited:
Associate
n3x said:
Yeah i will prbably be getting a conroe sometime next year but I was thinking if i can get 70 - 80 for my 146 it would maybe be worth getting the x2 now. I would like to be able to watch TV at the same to as playing games. Would the x2 be up to that?

Why would you want to watch TV at the same time.

I have Sky plugged into my monitor and can use pip to watch the football while im surfing the net. But playing games and watching the TV!!! surely you can't do both at the same time!!!

Soldato
-|ScottFree|- said:
Why would you want to watch TV at the same time.

I have Sky plugged into my monitor and can use pip to watch the football while im surfing the net. But playing games and watching the TV!!! surely you can't do both at the same time!!!

Two monitors opens up a whole world of options ;) I watch tv and play games at the same time...

:D

SamC

n3x

n3x

Associate
samcat said:
Two monitors opens up a whole world of options ;) I watch tv and play games at the same time...

:D

SamC

indeed it does, the only game i can really play whilst watching tv (tv card) at the moment is cs1.6. Anything else and the cpu canne cope, not suprisingly.

So a good old x2 would be able to handle running the tv software on one screen whilst playing abit of prey etc on the other?

Associate
Nice one, got my 4200 yesterday, with the limited o/c options, plus the extreme heat in my tiny room, got it stable @ 2.6 1.4v, but at 1am it was @ 2.7 stable for 1 hour. So I am pleased with the 2.6.

But this chip runs a lot warmer than my sd, 62 underload.

My other rig, it's temps are up also 46/44, so when this cooler weather comes, it should drop to 50-55 underload.

Last edited:
Associate
I think so, 2 primes running for 4 hours in this heat, I'm sure the chip will do more, but it's in an matx case, and the asrock Uli m/b has very little in the way of o/c options. Highest vcore is 1,4 and memory can only go upto 3.72.

I'm going to prime again now, to make 100% sure.

opps I didn't make a note of the stepping

Soldato
Servo said:
I think so, 2 primes running for 4 hours in this heat, I'm sure the chip will do more, but it's in an matx case, and the asrock Uli m/b has very little in the way of o/c options. Highest vcore is 1,4 and memory can only go upto 3.72.

I'm going to prime again now, to make 100% sure.

opps I didn't make a note of the stepping
good results, lets hope they all clock this well, im sure if your mobo would let you push the voltage up another 0.1v then you could squeeze 2.7 out of it - i'l be very happy if mine will do that :D

Associate
Funny thing is:- when the 3700 sd was in, the m/b allowed 1.45, now with x2, it's down to 1.4. Is there any place's that do modded asrock bios's, did a google and came up empty handed.

Soldato
kimandsally said:

I hope your not thinking that you should be able to get more that 2.85 on only 1.4v..put some jiuce into it :).

Associate
i was also thinking about going for an AMD Athlon 64 4000+, they are only £79 + VAT

2.8GHz stock speed?

Surely this is a better bargain?

NOTE: Ignore me, its only 2.4GHz Stock :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Associate
Final8y said:
I hope your not thinking that you should be able to get more that 2.85 on only 1.4v..put some jiuce into it :).

It will do more but the increase in GHz v's increase in voltage becomes silly will do 3GHz at 1.6v but to me that's silly if it goes pop as my FX55 did that'll be another £350 down the toilet.

Permabanned
Just installed an X2 3800 into my shuttle SN95G5. Does 2.5GHz on stock volts (2 hours Prime stable so far) but seems to be undervolting like mad - 1.312v :eek: . I guess running two HD's, an X800XTPE, DVD, TV card and 2GB ram is a bit tough on the 240w PSU. 2.6GHz wont get into Windows but considering my voltage limitations it's hardly suprising.

Soldato
22BUK said:
Just installed an X2 3800 into my shuttle SN95G5. Does 2.5GHz on stock volts (2 hours Prime stable so far) but seems to be undervolting like mad - 1.312v :eek: . I guess running two HD's, an X800XTPE, DVD, TV card and 2GB ram is a bit tough on the 240w PSU. 2.6GHz wont get into Windows but considering my voltage limitations it's hardly suprising.

You really need a new PSU. 240w!

n3x

n3x

Associate
OcUK are happy to provide the resources of these forums to responsible individuals without charge. They cost a substantial amount of money to maintain and use considerable amounts of bandwith which is paid for exclusively by OcUK. As you know OcUK are in the computer hardware business and therefore the promotion of OcUK's competitors is forbidden. Examples of promotion are :-

Posting links to competitors websites
Posting links to reviews that promote competitors
Quoting the names or contact details of competitors
Offering to provide the names or contact details of competitors
Hinting about product availability at competitors and their pricing
Using the forums to notify a member of intent or actual supply of names or contact details of competitors
Listing competitors names, URL's or e-mail addresses in signatures
Listing competitors names, URL's or e-mail addresses in profile
Posting links to or the mentioning of auction sites
Disguising attempts to do any of the above

Back
Top Bottom