• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Refresh) 3900XT/3800XT/3600XT

Associate
...which to most isn't worth it unless you have significant productivity demands.

An 8-core 4600 for ~£200 would clean up, however I suspect they'll maintain the core counts per model, at least for Zen 3. No commercial reason to give another 2 cores away at the moment.

Yeah very true. Just gaming over here mate.

Well if 4600 is 10% or so faster than the 3600XT that would be amazing, for £200 that's a lot of gaming CPU potential.

Soldato
Never heard of one hitting 4.6 all core at all for 24/7 use. Anything above 4.35 seems to be stretching it.

If my 3800X (which I bought shortly after release) is able to run 4.4 all-core stock and AMD has had almost a year to cherry-pick silicone and tweak algorithms, another 200mhz (for an XT version) doesn't sound unreasonable.

It also doesn't sound like an improvement worth jumping on for me, but it could be a nice option for people upgrading from older/slower equipment.

Soldato
If my 3800X (which I bought shortly after release) is able to run 4.4 all-core stock and AMD has had almost a year to cherry-pick silicone and tweak algorithms, another 200mhz (for an XT version) doesn't sound unreasonable to me.

It also doesn't sound like an improvement worth jumping on for me, but it could be a nice option for people upgrading from older/slower equipment.

Your one is already far above the normal numbers people see. Not saying it's impossible but it would be very difficult in the thermal envelope with no refinements.

Permabanned
If I hadn’t of brought a 3600 on release day I’d definitely be looking at a 3600xt should be a good little gaming cpu.

The problem is with zen 3 being on the horizon it just doesn’t make enough sense.

Soldato
Your one is already far above the normal numbers people see. Not saying it's impossible but it would be very difficult in the thermal envelope with no refinements.

I think the load needs to be considered too. PC2 is a demanding title, but it's not a torture test or benchmark kind of load. I'm sure my all-core clocks are a lot lower in something like Cinebench.

Soldato
The problem is with zen 3 being on the horizon it just doesn’t make enough sense.
9 months away, surely? There's no point upgrading to an XT, but if you don't have a 3000 already then it's a good purchase. And let's be honest, if you kept waiting because the next big thing is on the horizon, you'll be waiting forever. Especially as AMD are bulldozing their way through Intel.

In a good way this time ;)

Permabanned
9 months away, surely? There's no point upgrading to an XT, but if you don't have a 3000 already then it's a good purchase. And let's be honest, if you kept waiting because the next big thing is on the horizon, you'll be waiting forever. Especially as AMD are bulldozing their way through Intel.

In a good way this time ;)
Never agreed with that the whole waiting forever.

If you have a certain amount of performance increase in mind for a particular price it makes no sense to buy a lesser product because your impatient. I was tempted by Ryzen 1+2000 series but always had my eye on Ryzen 3000. I waited it out and brought once rather than multiple times.

It makes sense if you can’t have Zen3 due to motherboard issues, otherwise it makes more sense to exercise a bit of patience.

Soldato
Keeping the interest alive by releasing a mid-life product update is nothing to be knocked, especially if it helps you stave off the completion regaining market share. Much like Intel releasing a re-hashed 9900K but calling it the 10700K, when they could have just released a single new CPU if they really wanted to, instead of a whole range that appears new.

Associate
A 200-300Mhz boost will not really give anything especially if that 5Ghz 3800x video is anything to go by. I think the real reason for releasing these is an improved IMC on the CPU to run 3,800 or 4,000 RAM which should net the performance gain needed to bury Comet Lake. Not exactly a scientific approach but 200-300 Mhz base on the CPU might translate to a 200-300Mhz boost on the IMC as originally leaked.

I'm not sure what tuned 4000C16 RAM should give for Aida latency but I'm thinking around 56ns?

Soldato
Quite tempted to go for a 3800XT or 3900XT if the price is right for my next home server upgrade assuming it will work with one of either Asrock B450 Pro 4 or X470 Master SLI.

£350 would be nice I think, but expect it to be a touch over £400 for the 12 core

Maybe the current 3900X will get a nice discount when the new one rocks up so that could be the smarter move...

The TR 1920X at less that £200 looks like a good deal now I've thought about it while writing that!

Soldato
A 200-300Mhz boost will not really give anything especially if that 5Ghz 3800x video is anything to go by. I think the real reason for releasing these is an improved IMC on the CPU to run 3,800 or 4,000 RAM which should net the performance gain needed to bury Comet Lake. Not exactly a scientific approach but 200-300 Mhz base on the CPU might translate to a 200-300Mhz boost on the IMC as originally leaked.

I'm not sure what tuned 4000C16 RAM should give for Aida latency but I'm thinking around 56ns?

I suspect that's what the product is aimed at. Sure the clocks are nice but they do very little without reducing latency so the chips are binned to run high FCLK speeds so people can use 4000mhz RAM with low timings to get mid 50ns latency

Soldato
So we have Zen 2 parts being released that'll hit 4.8 GHz. Does this mean we can expect top-tier Zen 3 parts to also hit 4.8 GHz? That'd be pretty sweet along with the IPC bump, assuming the power envelopes stay the same.

Soldato
So we have Zen 2 parts being released that'll hit 4.8 GHz. Does this mean we can expect top-tier Zen 3 parts to also hit 4.8 GHz? That'd be pretty sweet along with the IPC bump, assuming the power envelopes stay the same.
Entirely possible. If Zen 3 stays on the enhanced 7nm node as on AMD's roadmap then the performance boost should give us the same clocks. If it's moving to 5nm as recent rumours suggest then the reduced power requirements of the node might allow for a power bump.

Soldato
Does anyone think (For gaming) these will be a worthy upgrade from a 2600X? Considering I'll need a B550 and maybe faster RAM its looking like a pricey upgrade or just wait for 4000 which is a while off and the upgrade itch is itchy

I'm planning on a GPU upgrade when the new ones come out regardless

Soldato
Does anyone think (For gaming) these will be a worthy upgrade from a 2600X? Considering I'll need a B550 and maybe faster RAM its looking like a pricey upgrade or just wait for 4000 which is a while off and the upgrade itch is itchy

I'm planning on a GPU upgrade when the new ones come out regardless
Hang on, unless AMD pull something ****** and block the refresh CPUs, you won't need B550. These are still Zen 2 Matisse so should run on 400 series boards.

As for a gaming upgrade, check comparative benches for the 2600X and an existing 3000 and see what the difference is, the XTs aren't going to give too much of a bump. If the difference is worth it then pull the trigger. Or if you want to satisfy the itch in a bigger way, go B550 anyway (assuming B550 supports Ryzen 3000) then you have Zen 3 support ready.

Back
Top Bottom