• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Soldato
I really don't care about clocks, if they manage to up the average clocks to satisfy marketing department but get no or negative performance change because of it I'll be mad.

Associate
Yet the solder is pretty bad, and the chip is too hot :/

It's due to thermal density issues. If the solder was bad, you'd see a massive drop from de-lid and LM.

And that's because people want their 9900k to run at 5ghz all core or have some expectation of such.

You can run at 9900k at stock frequencies just fine similar to Ryzen 3xxx.

Caporegime
It's due to thermal density issues. If the solder was bad, you'd see a massive drop from de-lid and LM.

And that's because people want their 9900k to run at 5ghz all core or have some expectation of such.

You can run at 9900k at stock frequencies just fine similar to Ryzen 3xxx.

And the thing with the 9900K is people just expect them to do 5Ghz as a matter of course, that's just not true, not properly stable at least, according to Silicon Lottery only about 30% actually do 5Ghz.

Edit: IMO its because Intel send the best binned chips to reviewers who then put the overclocking data out there without questioning it.

Associate
And the thing with the 9900K is people just expect them to do 5Ghz as a matter of course, that's just not true, not properly stable at least, according to Silicon Lottery only about 30% actually do 5Ghz.

Edit: IMO its because Intel send the best binned chips to reviewers who then put the overclocking data out there without questioning it.

Early models were fine in that they could run 5ghz more often than not. The headroom was good. Mine is a launch batch for example.

Once they started binning for the KS sku, then your chances of getting a good chip dropped dramatically.

But to your point, the expectation of a 9900k at 5ghz is a holdover from previous iterations.

If the whole thing was an intel hoodwink effort, silicon lottery wouldn’t be able to supply 5ghz 9900k’s. Their stats are a good sample size.

Associate

I got nothing against the Silicon Lottery but should we trust them regarding their findings.? It's in their best interest to promote the stuff they sell. It's like a second hand car seller that will tell you the car he sells is in top notch condition even if the car is only good for a scrapyard...
Ok maybe that is slight exaggeration but you know what I mean....

Soldato
I got nothing against the Silicon Lottery but should we trust them regarding their findings.? It's in their best interest to promote the stuff they sell. It's like a second hand car seller that will tell you the car he sells is in top notch condition even if the car is only good for a scrapyard...

Silicon lottery recently pointed out it’s own demise so I don’t see why they would fudge numbers. 5Ghz is far from certain on a 9900K not that it matters now AMD are ahead in performance per core.

Soldato
Silicon lottery recently pointed out it’s own demise so I don’t see why they would fudge numbers. 5Ghz is far from certain on a 9900K not that it matters now AMD are ahead in performance per core.

True, the 10% better ipc (with 3200 CL14 MHz ram) is a boon, making the standard 4.550 2 core boost and 4450 all core boost, 4.9Ghz effective.
And we can just overclock IF to 1900 and RAM to 3600-3866 and we get an extra 10-36% more FPS. (game depending).

Caporegime

That's a fair point.

True, the 10% better ipc (with 3200 CL14 MHz ram) is a boon, making the standard 4.550 2 core boost and 4450 all core boost, 4.9Ghz effective.
And we can just overclock IF to 1900 and RAM to 3600-3866 and we get an extra 10-36% more FPS. (game depending).

This, its actually quite scary to think what might be if they are retested with high speed DRam Calc tuned timings.

I think Hardware Unboxed have something like that in the works.

Permabanned

AMD is behind in the laptops chips with 15W-25W.

1.png

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i7-1065G7+@+1.30GHz&id=3466

2.png

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=AMD+Ryzen+5+3500U&id=3421

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom