• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Associate
Tr to 48 core makes sense, especially with some hefty clocks associated with it as lots of cores doesnt seem to be much of a barrier now for clocks.

I still think AMD might just have that 5ghz chip sitting collecting parts waiting to see if intel manages to find... something... maybe it will come out when the overclocked 9900 comes out.

GAC

GAC

Soldato
$199 @ current exchange rate of $1.27 to £ = £156 + 20% VAT = £187.

I looked on 'Rain Forest' and the price for the 2600 is 15 units higher in $ than it is in £ so £185 or there abouts might be right.

launch day id expect it to be 1 to 1 conversion.

GAC

GAC

Soldato
im expecting bundle deals again with a monitor or something toss in a game or two, could be some nice deals out there. reason im waiting for end of year should hopefully be some nice deals floating around, sub £400 12 core maybe :D MAYBE......

Associate
Yeah, would make sense.
Ryzen 3000 - 6-16 C
Threadripper 3 - 24-48 C
Rome - 56-64+C

No. That would make absolutely no sense. A significant minority of HEDT users don't want MOAR CORES, but more PCIe lanes. 24 cores is way too high for entry level. It'll be 16, almost certainly.

Also, to state the obvious, Rome will start much, much lower than 56 cores.

Unless yields / bins / wafer availability are way better than expected, they'd be mad to launch a 16 core Ryzen before production is fully ramped. Intel aren't competing at 12 cores either, and they'll rob themselves of higher margins on their other platforms.

Associate
Maybe AMD have got significantly better yields on the 8core chiplets but not at the big clocks we thought were coming (5.1?)
So in the meantime drop the bombshell 16 core to kill off what ever remains after the other Zen2 chips obliterate intels line up and then when something does squirt out of the blue corner in a frenzied attempt at fight back (9900KS) drop the megatone class 16core special edition they have binned enough of.
Now this might not be until early next year for there 50th thing, but even so i think its on.

Soldato
Associate
Well yes linux is utilizing the bigger thread chips much better but thats not only the linux scheduler but the whole software ecosystem having been brought up in a much more multithreaded world than windows has.
Its not only going to be Microsoft's problem to fix, lazy dev's and companies rehashing ancient engines and application library all need to step up but well.. been saying this for ages..

Soldato
Well yes linux is utilizing the bigger thread chips much better but thats not only the linux scheduler but the whole software ecosystem having been brought up in a much more multithreaded world than windows has.
Its not only going to be Microsoft's problem to fix, lazy dev's and companies rehashing ancient engines and application library all need to step up but well.. been saying this for ages..

I am moving to Linux as soon as build the new PC post July 7th. Freesync support if fully working with Kerner 5.0, which was the only thing stopping me all that time.
All games play there, and can shove Windows down their grave for me.

Associate
Well i use linux for some stuff (pihole,cctv rec, pfsense ect), but imho its never going to replace windows in the state its in.
Everything, almost everything is such a ball ache. Command line this, monstrous line of bloody gobbledygook that..
Yes i know the desktops are showing promise but at the end of the day i seem to spend more time back typing long lines of gibberish for simple stuff windows manages with a couple of clicks.

Nawp, linux works for you ...good stuff. but its not going to be taking over the desktop market anytime soon. Then again maybe that will happen before MS fix there scheduler properly. :p

Soldato
Here is the issue.
Windows Desktop Scheduler is crap, however MS doesn't want to put the Windows Server Scheduler on Desktop for obvious reasons.
Linux is one way street. Especially when the last 2 years the EPYC gained 11% performance on linux!!!!! (when Intel lost 18%)

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/t...-performance-evolution-last-2-years.18856720/

Considering Ryzen 3900/3950 has two chiplets, I wonder how the Windows scheduler will handle that, or if there might be a Gaming Mode for the CPUs again.

Caporegime
The whole Linux/Windows crap only matters if Ryzen is benchmarking better in Cinebench on Linux than Windows for example (Take any CPU benchmark) otherwise it's not really relevant.

Same happened with Bulldozer and how Linux was soooo much better for it.

Back
Top Bottom