• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 3 (5000 Series), rumored 17% IPC gain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
I think it was £319? So should be around that price range, but then you have the fact that the 3700x will drop in price so it'll be the same old 25%-40% more money for a 4700x over 3700x for 10%-20% more performance.
It was £319.99 for the 3700X and £379.99 for the 3800X. Though the 3700X was available for less than that. I ordered my first one on July 27th from OcUK for £299.99. Though they then went back up in price I believe due to stock issues, as I sold that same chip for an even £300 on Ebay on September 7th.

Associate
It was £319.99 for the 3700X and £379.99 for the 3800X. Though the 3700X was available for less than that. I ordered my first one on July 27th from OcUK for £299.99. Though they then went back up in price I believe due to stock issues, as I sold that same chip for an even £300 on Ebay on September 7th.

Nice one! Hopefully they don't have stock issues this time

Soldato
Sure but the 4700x won't be available at that price for a fair while after release, we imagine!

Well I am hoping the Ryzen 7 3700X drops further in price with the new Intel releases and the Ryzen 4000 series. I was on socket 1155 from 2011 to 2018,so I don't need cutting edge performance.

No way! How did I miss that lol
Yeah, that prompted me to re-buy one. Got a better chip too that can do 1900MHz FCLK, whereas the first one wouldn't even boot above 1800MHz.

Yeah,it was a very good price,but couldn't justify as I have a Ryzen 5 2600 which does the job fine.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
For anyone like me who upgrades every 5-8 years, 8 cores is a must. Anything less would be a waste of time.
Makes no sense to do that when you can just get a cheap 3600 now, then in 3 years time when everyone is getting rid of their 4700's or 4900X's get them for super cheap on members market. This way you save money overall and get more performance, why wait 5-8 years when you can do this instead?

Caporegime
Makes no sense to do that when you can just get a cheap 3600 now, then in 3 years time when everyone is getting rid of their 4700's or 4900X's get them for super cheap on members market. This way you save money overall and get more performance, why wait 5-8 years when you can do this instead?
Well for one I want an 8 core this year, the 4 and 6 core parts aren't going to keep up when the new consoles land. Alright maybe they'll be OK even into 2021, but as soon as devs start using the PS5/XSX as a min baseline, anything less is going to struggle, imho.

Besides I'm a software not a hardware guy. Pulling my rig apart is a chore I endure rather than enjoy :)

Associate
Will there not be a 4800x going cheap as well ?

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Well for one I want an 8 core this year, the 4 and 6 core parts aren't going to keep up when the new consoles land. Alright maybe they'll be OK even into 2021, but as soon as devs start using the PS5/XSX as a min baseline, anything less is going to struggle, imho.

Besides I'm a software not a hardware guy. Pulling my rig apart is a chore I endure rather than enjoy :)
I don’t think the transition will just happen as soon as consoles are released.

Pulling rig apart? Dude it’s just the cooler coming off, then replace cpu.

Sounds like excuses more than anything ;)

Will there not be a 4800x going cheap as well ?
Cant see why not.

Caporegime
I don’t think the transition will just happen as soon as consoles are released.

Pulling rig apart? Dude it’s just the cooler coming off, then replace cpu.

Sounds like excuses more than anything ;)

Cant see why not.
When I get around to it I'm going to be doing a full <everything> upgrade, to the point where it'll be a brand new PC. New case, new CPU, new HSF, new PSU, new monitor, new keyboard, new RAM, new mobo...

It's just going to be a lot of work, man, and I'm not going to enjoy putting in the hours to research everything.

I spend all day working with PCs (thankfully not hardware!) and tbh in my own rig the thing I want most is that it just works.

I have no patience at all for troubleshooting my own rig, and whilst I used to enjoy taking hours to research all the components, the older I get the more that just seems like hard work.

Call it excuses if you like. These days I just don't find building PCs fun at all. So once every 5-8 years is enough for me :p

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
When I get around to it I'm going to be doing a full <everything> upgrade, to the point where it'll be a brand new PC. New case, new CPU, new HSF, new PSU, new monitor, new keyboard, new RAM, new mobo...

It's just going to be a lot of work, man, and I'm not going to enjoy putting in the hours to research everything.

I spend all day working with PCs (thankfully not hardware!) and tbh in my own rig the thing I want most is that it just works.

I have no patience at all for troubleshooting my own rig, and whilst I used to enjoy taking hours to research all the components, the older I get the more that just seems like hard work.

Call it excuses if you like. These days I just don't find building PCs fun at all. So once every 5-8 years is enough for me :p
Fair enough mate :)

Associate

I just picked up a 3600. Insane how fast they are for the money.

Will likely upgrade to an 8 or 12 core Zen 3 SKU in June or July - when ever the release is. Unless nCV torpedoes Computex ...

Last edited:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I just picked up a 3600. Insane how fast they are for the money.

Will likely upgrade to an 8 or 12 core Zen 3 SKU in June or July - when ever the release is. Unless nCV torpedoes Computex ...
Yea. Especially if you can get it to OC at all core 4.4GHz :D

Going to wait and see what’s what with the 5000 series. If it is much better than the 4000 series then I will upgrade to that and pass this system down. If not then I will grab a 4900X either as they are being discontinued on sale or on members market and then skip AM5 and wait until AM6.

Associate
Yea. Especially if you can get it to OC at all core 4.4GHz :D

Going to wait and see what’s what with the 5000 series. If it is much better than the 4000 series then I will upgrade to that and pass this system down. If not then I will grab a 4900X either as they are being discontinued on sale or on members market and then skip AM5 and wait until AM6.

I'd be very surprised if Zen 4 isn't as big, or bigger than the projected performance improvement from Zen 2 -> 3. Maybe there aren't as many significant internal changes (don't think anyone knows yet), but 5nm EUV will be a bigger step than 7nm DUV -> 7nm EUV, and given how hungry Zen is for memory speed, latency and bandwidth, DDR5 ought to be a significant step up. Albeit I'd expect it to be able to run DDR4 and DDR5.

Soldato
I'd be very surprised if Zen 4 isn't as big, or bigger than the projected performance improvement from Zen 2 -> 3. Maybe there aren't as many significant internal changes (don't think anyone knows yet), but 5nm EUV will be a bigger step than 7nm DUV -> 7nm EUV, and given how hungry Zen is for memory speed, latency and bandwidth, DDR5 ought to be a significant step up. Albeit I'd expect it to be able to run DDR4 and DDR5.
Latency is rumoured to go down quite a bit with Zen 3. Would be disappointing if they can't do this on their last AM4 chips with DDR4 IMO. It will help against Intel in gaming quite a lot apparently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom