• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 3 (5000 Series), rumored 17% IPC gain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
So long as it's not the junk bin it should overclock to 4000+

Already tested my 8pack 3200/14 stuff and got it up to 4400 without much issue.

It’ll do 3200 14/14/14 on my x99 board. When I tried to lower timings it wasn’t happy, but I can’t tell if that’s the chip or the ram. It’s also 4x8, but we’ll wait and see...

Soldato
4x less l3 cache

Still 2x4core but this time only 2x4MB l3 instead of 2x16MB

get
get
get

BTW,this is the link to the actual website and there are more games and more APUs tested:
https://quasarzone.com/bbs/qc_bench/views/52694

They don't have the overclcoked results you listed but stock results.

Last edited:
Associate
How do you all imagine Zen 3 will compare with Zen 4? Is the shrink to 5nm confirmed, is it very likely 1st gen DDR5 will have issues as Ryzen 1st gen. or is Ryzen now a mature enough platform to negate those risks, and is it likely to run significanty faster than fast mature DDR4?

Soldato
is it very likely 1st gen DDR5 will have issues as Ryzen 1st gen. or is Ryzen now a mature enough platform to negate those risks, and is it likely to run significanty faster than fast mature DDR4?

It's very unlikely that DDR5 will have any issues with Ryzen. Like ALL new ram platforms though, early on it will be complete rubbish. No where near as fast as the mature DDR4, and more than likely at least a year or more before any decent timmings become available.
If ever there was/is a new platform to avoid, it always has been and always will be, a new ram platform.

Associate
It's very unlikely that DDR5 will have any issues with Ryzen. Like ALL new ram platforms though, early on it will be complete rubbish. No where near as fast as the mature DDR4, and more than likely at least a year or more before any decent timmings become available.
If ever there was/is a new platform to avoid, it always has been and always will be, a new ram platform.
I built my first PC with Ryzen 1700 when it first came out, and trying to decide if it's worth upgrading to Zen 3 or Zen 4. Thank you, that was very helpful.

Soldato
How do you all imagine Zen 3 will compare with Zen 4? Is the shrink to 5nm confirmed, is it very likely 1st gen DDR5 will have issues as Ryzen 1st gen. or is Ryzen now a mature enough platform to negate those risks, and is it likely to run significanty faster than fast mature DDR4?
I think DDR5 will be an exciting change as since it will run in dual channel with just a single stick it means that quad channel maybe coming as standard, initial speeds should start around 4800.

Associate
I built my first PC with Ryzen 1700 when it first came out, and trying to decide if it's worth upgrading to Zen 3 or Zen 4. Thank you, that was very helpful.

I would go for Zen 3 as I suspect Zen 4 will have immature chipsets and RAM which may cause a problem.

Of course you don't need to make a decision now but if you decide to wait be prepared to make one in early 2022 when Zen 4 (5000 series) arrives and you can see how the land lies while Zen 3 stuff is still readily available. Personally I needed a computer so I went for Zen 2 and will upgrade to Zen 3 at some point before leaving things for a few years.

Associate
is it very likely 1st gen DDR5 will have issues as Ryzen 1st gen
Nothing a bios update wouldn't fix
As an early adopter of DDR4, owned Skylake from release no problems with either early XMP ram or later moving to 4 sticks b-die double rank.

Wouldn't wait for DDR5. Nothing exciting coming there. Much fatter sticks, lower power, meh thats for servers.

Soldato
Nothing exciting coming there

Per module voltage control, on the actual module is pretty exciting, as it will allow actual differentiation in quality, also makes the motherboards less complex.

Then you also have higher frequencies with not dissimilar latency to DDR4 at launch, for once it will be a step sideways then forwards.

Associate
Nothing a bios update wouldn't fix
As an early adopter of DDR4, owned Skylake from release no problems with either early XMP ram or later moving to 4 sticks b-die double rank.

Wouldn't wait for DDR5. Nothing exciting coming there. Much fatter sticks, lower power, meh thats for servers.
Thanks Alec, your experiance is really helpful. Much appreciated.

Soldato
It seems that AMD have committed to EPYC Milan "Zen 3" this year. See the last line of the slide below. Where that leaves Ryzen with "Zen 3" is anyone's guess, maybe they'll just do the 4950X or equivalent to say they released them, and ensure that the higher value EPYC parts can be created in volume. Looks like people will be waiting until the 11th hour to find out, maybe some leaks later in Oct/Nov may give some indication to what is happening.

2mkunWZ.jpg

Associate
It seems that AMD have committed to EPYC Milan "Zen 3" this year. See the last line of the slide below. Where that leaves Ryzen with "Zen 3" is anyone's guess, maybe they'll just do the 4950X or equivalent to say they released them, and ensure that the higher value EPYC parts can be created in volume. Looks like people will be waiting until the 11th hour to find out, maybe some leaks later in Oct/Nov may give some indication to what is happening.

2mkunWZ.jpg
I'd say the 4950x will be the last to be released, the top bins will go to EPYC and the lower bins to Ryzen with 4950x and Threadripper only coming when there's a surplus of faster chiplets.

Soldato
the top bins will go to EPYC and the lower bins to Ryzen with 4950x and Threadripper only coming when there's a surplus of faster chiplets.
Logical, but don't forget that didn't actually happen with 3950X and Threadripper 3. Yes, they were released later, but the 3950X used very highly binned, EPYC-grade chiplets, and demand for EPYC was even increasing when 3950X and Threadripper landed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom