• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 3 (5000 Series), rumored 17% IPC gain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
been doing some more testing. memory controller is pretty much same as 3000 series, but with 3300x latency on single chiplet cpus.

As expected then, AMD did say it's the same controller. I'm hoping I can achieve 1900mhz IF this time around as my 3950x only went up to 1800mhz

Permabanned
As expected then, AMD did say it's the same controller. I'm hoping I can achieve 1900mhz IF this time around as my 3950x only went up to 1800mhz

Is there a good oc guide for this jargon? I presume you are clocking cores plus the memory controller and the actual memory? On my 4770k it was like this core uncore and memory speed 3 things to clock. Cheers :p

Soldato
yeah. it would have been nice if they had used the 4000 series controller instead. its quite a bit better. i guess it doesn't really matter though because the single thread is now miles ahead of intel.

Associate
FCLK info from Buildzoid's friend with a 5600x.

2000 is basically not happening (Update: Read post 6867 it might happen with updated AGESA).

Not even 3,866 worked even with brute forcing.

Brute forcing voltages for 1900 FCLK seems semi safe if you are looking to squeeze out performance. Use these VDDG voltages to brute force 1900 FCLK on most chips (don't pay attention to 1933 number). Apparently these values got Gamers Nexus' 3600x that went from non booting FCLK 1900 to stable 1900.

82DzgNf.png

Aida64 near optimised bench for daily:

fZQ2Z6a.png

54.2 ns at 3800C14. It's also at 4.7 Ghz overclocked on all cores.

Last edited:
Associate
Well that sucks. That slide saying 4000 was the new 3800 got me hook line and sinker. At least its going to save me money and probably F5 frustration as I wont be looking for a 5950x anymore. In my experience the multi cluster chips struggle more with IF than single, the only chip I have that wont do 1900IF is my 3900XT (black screen no matter the voltage). My 3600 (now sold), 3600x and 3800x all do 1900IF no problem at all, my 3800x even does it at below default volts. Having put nearly £200 into importing a high bin g.skill kit I need to maximise my chances for high IF.

Associate
Okay maybe complete bs and it probably is but this comment on his video peaked my interest.

If anyone wants the actual video btw: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BH0ATuUwNRo

gtwjJgJ.png

Apparently you need the absolute latest AGESA to reach above 3800... pinch... salt.

I looked up the Crosshair BIOS in the screenshot and it's "Updated AMD AM4 AGESA V2 PI 1.1.0.0 PatchB".

Gigabyte's proper Zen 3 BIOS is Version C. His claims have some validity...

Associate
2000 is basically not happening. If it does somehow happen, probably less than 10% of chips will reach it
Sample size of 1
There are a few GB5 runs I saw with memory at 1933 and 2000. Can't know for sure they weren't in 2:1 mode, but assuming AMD wouldn't just throw it out there to laugh at testers.

Associate
Well that sucks. That slide saying 4000 was the new 3800 got me hook line and sinker. At least its going to save me money and probably F5 frustration as I wont be looking for a 5950x anymore. In my experience the multi cluster chips struggle more with IF than single, the only chip I have that wont do 1900IF is my 3900XT (black screen no matter the voltage). My 3600 (now sold), 3600x and 3800x all do 1900IF no problem at all, my 3800x even does it at below default volts. Having put nearly £200 into importing a high bin g.skill kit I need to maximise my chances for high IF.

What are you getting? i'm back n forth between a 5800xt or 5900xt. I just want to max out mem and fabric for fun. Both will be overkill for gaming

Also looking at the asus b550 strix itx. Any better boards you know of?

Associate
What are you getting? i'm back n forth between a 5800xt or 5900xt. I just want to max out mem and fabric for fun. Both will be overkill for gaming

Also looking at the asus b550 strix itx. Any better boards you know of?

I have/had a G.Skill 4000 C15 kit and a CH8 Impact sat waiting for a 5950x. The 3900XT has done me proud with MT disabled despite maxing at 1866IF and having its good cores scattered amongst the clusters. I was planning to do the same thing with a 5950x, push for keeping the same timings as my current system at potentially a couple hundred mhz more. After that it was fingers crossed for some decent cores on the same ccx and for per core voltage adjustments to finally appear.

Board wise its actually a pretty poor choice if you're going hardcore...

The VRM on the Strix B550i put me off, they went cheap on the mosfets and have since removed the info off the product page on their website (50A SiC639 and not SPS, same as used on some Asrock $100 A320 itx board ffs). Its a cheap ass board with Asus tax on top. Fine pushing a 5800x but not suitable for playing with dual cluster cpus imo.
Asus' Strix X570i is missing vTT range and bios flashback, instant avoid there.
MSI's B550i could be good as its 8 phase 60amp, but their lack of high XMP support puts me off (although it looks like a B450i redesign and I have two of those as they're so good at mem oc) plus I have no idea of the spec of those 60 amp VRMs other than they aren't smart stages. Also the single SOC stage above the cpu socket with no heatsink cover triggers me hard...
Gigabyte's B550i is only a 6 phase and its 90 amp stages aren't really an upgrade over the 70 amp stages in the Gigabyte X570i I already own (which needs fans to stay below 90c VRM temp with the 3900xt in prime at safe volts and doesn't mem oc or score quite as well as the MSI B450i).
Asrock is Asrock...just no.

The only board that ticks all boxes is the CH8 Impact. Good vrm, good bios, good mem oc, bios flashback, postcode reader. You can unplug the fancy soundboard if you dont need it (I use a USB dac). The £350+ price put me off, but its got a £50 rebate at the moment which swung it for me ( https://promotion.asus.com/en/uk/q4gamingweeks# ). Having the board in hand, its 100% worth £300, but if I'm not going 16 core I just don't need it.

I was ready to flip a coin between the MSI and Gigabyte B550i boards before diving on the Impact, I couldn't pick between the two. If you're considering the Strix B550i though the MSI has a clearly better VRM, I wouldn't run anything with 2 clusters hard on that thing. If still limited to 1900IF and 1:1 mem then it seems to me the MSI is best choice (assuming no mem oc issues - my guess is they just optimised 1:1 and as a result cant go 5ghz+ XMP) with the Gigabyte B550i a close second. Neither will be capable of running a 5950x or 5900xt hard without getting uncomfortably hot unless you add vrm fans or open bench, but both should manage them just fine in daily software.

Pretty much everything above is opinion based with a sprinkling of experience thrown in...

Caporegime
I have/had a G.Skill 4000 C15 kit and a CH8 Impact sat waiting for a 5950x. The 3900XT has done me proud with MT disabled despite maxing at 1866IF and having its good cores scattered amongst the clusters. I was planning to do the same thing with a 5950x, push for keeping the same timings as my current system at potentially a couple hundred mhz more. After that it was fingers crossed for some decent cores on the same ccx and for per core voltage adjustments to finally appear.

Board wise its actually a pretty poor choice if you're going hardcore...

The VRM on the Strix B550i put me off, they went cheap on the mosfets and have since removed the info off the product page on their website (50A SiC639 and not SPS, same as used on some Asrock $100 A320 itx board ffs). Its a cheap ass board with Asus tax on top. Fine pushing a 5800x but not suitable for playing with dual cluster cpus imo.
Asus' Strix X570i is missing vTT range and bios flashback, instant avoid there.
MSI's B550i could be good as its 8 phase 60amp, but their lack of high XMP support puts me off (although it looks like a B450i redesign and I have two of those as they're so good at mem oc) plus I have no idea of the spec of those 60 amp VRMs other than they aren't smart stages. Also the single SOC stage above the cpu socket with no heatsink cover triggers me hard...
Gigabyte's B550i is only a 6 phase and its 90 amp stages aren't really an upgrade over the 70 amp stages in the Gigabyte X570i I already own (which needs fans to stay below 90c VRM temp with the 3900xt in prime at safe volts and doesn't mem oc or score quite as well as the MSI B450i).
Asrock is Asrock...just no.

The only board that ticks all boxes is the CH8 Impact. Good vrm, good bios, good mem oc, bios flashback, postcode reader. You can unplug the fancy soundboard if you dont need it (I use a USB dac). The £350+ price put me off, but its got a £50 rebate at the moment which swung it for me ( https://promotion.asus.com/en/uk/q4gamingweeks# ). Having the board in hand, its 100% worth £300, but if I'm not going 16 core I just don't need it.

I was ready to flip a coin between the MSI and Gigabyte B550i boards before diving on the Impact, I couldn't pick between the two. If you're considering the Strix B550i though the MSI has a clearly better VRM, I wouldn't run anything with 2 clusters hard on that thing. If still limited to 1900IF and 1:1 mem then it seems to me the MSI is best choice (assuming no mem oc issues - my guess is they just optimised 1:1 and as a result cant go 5ghz+ XMP) with the Gigabyte B550i a close second. Neither will be capable of running a 5950x or 5900xt hard without getting uncomfortably hot unless you add vrm fans or open bench, but both should manage them just fine in daily software.

Pretty much everything above is opinion based with a sprinkling of experience thrown in...
What are your thoughts on the Asus x570 Prime Pro with regards to VRMS.Mosfets and temps etc?

Using a 3950X with this board at the moment and considering a 5950x. I'll only be running PBO and FMax btw, not manually overclocking.

Stu

Stu

Soldato

Can you please elaborate for the less knowledgeable? What do you mean when you say "multi cluster chips struggle more with IF than single"... does this have any bearing on 5800x versus 5900x?

Associate
What are your thoughts on the Asus x570 Prime Pro with regards to VRMS.Mosfets and temps etc?

Using a 3950X with this board at the moment and considering a 5950x. I'll only be running PBO and FMax btw, not manually overclocking.

Yeah that'll be fine, may get a little warm in a closed case running prime but that board isn't intended for anything hardcore anyway and would run fine in daily apps. Whilst it uses the same Vishay 639 50a power stages as the B550i Strix it has 4 more of them, they're more spaced out and it has much more heatsinking. As an aside its an interesting VRM design, the power stages run in triple parallel - its actually a 4 phase with 3 stages per phase. Nothing bad about that, just not a common design. I believe its the same VRM Asus use on X570 on the TUF boards too, just they artificially limit it by not exposing all the bios OC options until you get to the Strix E.

Just to reiterate, in a case with airflow and assuming you're not planning on doing anything extreme like back to back multiple hour prime overclock stability runs with limited case airflow, I'd say you should be absolutely fine :)

Soldato
Can you please elaborate for the less knowledgeable? What do you mean when you say "multi cluster chips struggle more with IF than single"... does this have any bearing on 5800x versus 5900x?
Not sure I would agree with this as personally I just think it's down to luck of the draw on the I/O die. One thing to note is I've always seen the 3900X chips with better aida latency over the 6 and 8 cores although this maybe down to the superior clock speed.

Caporegime
Yeah that'll be fine, may get a little warm in a closed case running prime but that board isn't intended for anything hardcore anyway and would run fine in daily apps. Whilst it uses the same Vishay 639 50a power stages as the B550i Strix it has 4 more of them, they're more spaced out and it has much more heatsinking. As an aside its an interesting VRM design, the power stages run in triple parallel - its actually a 4 phase with 3 stages per phase. Nothing bad about that, just not a common design. I believe its the same VRM Asus use on X570 on the TUF boards too, just they artificially limit it by not exposing all the bios OC options until you get to the Strix E.

Just to reiterate, in a case with airflow and assuming you're not planning on doing anything extreme like back to back multiple hour prime overclock stability runs with limited case airflow, I'd say you should be absolutely fine :)
Thanks mate. Using a Arctic 360 II as well that has the vrm fan and as you can see from the picture below, the case has a lot of airflow with highly positive pressure.

maVbyPa.jpg

I was just wondering if i should consider getting a better board, but based on your feedback i won't bother as I've had no issues so far with this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom