• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 3 (5000 Series), rumored 17% IPC gain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
I would definitely hold on in your case... that price difference is relatively small. Here I've got a 5900x on back order for £510, but I can get a 5800x for £350, which is really making me consider the 5800x. However, my current CPU/mobo is about 10 years old... if I take a similar approach with this build, then I think the 5900x will pay dividends down the line.
I will definitely be patient as like you I think it's worth waiting for, but it's still annoying. Still, what's a couple of weeks more. :D

Even when I get the CPU there is still the matter of a GPU and those seem nowhere near at the moment. I'm not sure I will ever forgive either Nvidia or AMD for this disaster of a launch. As a consumer, trying to get stock has been a near-humiliating experience for many people having to resort to silly measures to get a card.

Stu

Stu

Soldato
I think everyone is in agreement that Nvidia and AMD should be awarded "worst launch ever" trophies!

Although my CPU is old, I have a 1070, which is lagging behind the current gen but perfectly acceptable to me for the time being while I keep hunting for a 3080.

Soldato
Soldato
Presumably, given the numbers coming out from Rocket Lake, they've seen that it's close enough they can probably release some binned SKU's to keep the top spot in single threaded stealing Intels thunder... Not really necessary in the real world but in the marketing/review/benchmark world it's worth doing...

Caporegime
Presumably, given the numbers coming out from Rocket Lake, they've seen that it's close enough they can probably release some binned SKU's to keep the top spot in single threaded stealing Intels thunder... Not really necessary in the real world but in the marketing/review/benchmark world it's worth doing...
Yeah, seems very likely. Maybe 5800XT / 5900XT. Availability will also of course be awful!

Soldato
Or it'll go the other way and they'll be way too expensive for a couple of percent more performance, like the Zen 2 XT series was, so nobody will want them.

Associate
Or it'll go the other way and they'll be way too expensive for a couple of percent more performance, like the Zen 2 XT series was, so nobody will want them.
They might come in at current 5600x and 5800x prices and push the prices of the current cpus down a bit.

If all the dies will hit the clocks of the 5600x they won't want to release a 5600 non x version that has exactly the same performance as the 5600x.

They need something cheaper at the low end anyway, especially with the way Intel have been cutting prices.

Caporegime
They might come in at current 5600x and 5800x prices and push the prices of the current cpus down a bit.
Why would they do that when there is hardly any stock and Zen3 is selling like hot cakes for higher prices? Any new higher performing CPU will very likely simply be higher priced.

Cheaper CPU's will come later in the year when they launch 5600 / 5700 style models.

Associate
Why would they do that when there is hardly any stock and Zen3 is selling like hot cakes for higher prices? Any new higher performing CPU will very likely simply be higher priced.

Cheaper CPU's will come later in the year when they launch 5600 / 5700 style models.

There's stock of 5600x and 5800x just about everywhere i look, demand will be reducing at the current price and supplies will be increasing as console shipments start to slow down.

Caporegime
There's stock of 5600x and 5800x just about everywhere i look, demand will be reducing at the current price and supplies will be increasing as console shipments start to slow down.
The 5600x has only just come in stock after being mostly out of stock for some weeks and at the rate it is selling it will likely go out again soon. I can't see any significant price drops for a while yet although I would love to be wrong about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom