• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 3 (5000 Series), rumored 17% IPC gain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
Looking forward to the Zen 3 reviews, however it'll depend mostly and where the bottleneck is and in what application. Red Dead Redemption 2 for example runs same on 3600 as it does on overclocked i9, it's heavily GPU limited @ 1440p+. That may be a reason for me not to upgrade to Zen 3.

Soldato
PCI-E 4 signalling on some (most-maybe all) of the older boards is very dodgy. You might get away with it on a gaming build but it’s not something you could certify for.

I don't agree with that as the motherboard OEMs wouldn't release the BIOSes,as a problem would cause them more RMAs. Also remember,the B450 fixed many of the problems with the B350,and the B550A is a rebadged B450.

Signalling is also dependent on distance too,and many of the mini-ITX motherboards have to use thicker PCBs with more layers,and have a closer location of the CPU and chipset to the PCI-E and M2 slots.

Also,this is an example of a B550 motherboard which has been leaked:

https://videocardz.com/newz/first-amd-b550-motherboard-pictured

That doesn't look like a high quality motherboard - it has a reduced size mATX form factor which is typically seen on £50 DIY motherboards.

If Intel was doing this everyone would be criticising them for doing it!

Last edited:
Associate
My 3950x when stock will bounce around between 4.5ghz and 4.6ghz on 2 cores when doing single thread heavy workload. It is able to hold that clock speed range as long as temps are good. In Multithread it just drops everything down to 3.9ghz. I do more multi thread stuff so I just run all core 4.3ghz. I'd be happy with Zen 3 can give me all core 4.5/4.6ghz, with that extra IPC it will be the best at work and gaming
How long do temps stay good? I'd be happy with 6 of 12 or 8 of 16 cores at 4.6ghz with IPC uplift. The longer we wait the more we need, or buy, or save, or something.

Soldato
I don't agree with that as the motherboard OEMs wouldn't release the BIOSes,as a problem would cause them more RMAs. Also remember,the B450 fixed many of the problems with the B350,and the B550A is a rebadged B450. If you look at the chipset number,the B450 and B

Signalling is also dependent on distance too,and many of the mini-ITX motherboards have to use thicker PCBs with more layers,and have a closer location of the CPU and chipset to the PCI-E and M2 slots.

Also,this is an example of a B550 motherboard which has been leaked:

https://videocardz.com/newz/first-amd-b550-motherboard-pictured

That doesn't look like a high quality motherboard - it has a reduced size mATX form factor which is typically seen on £50 DIY motherboards.

If Intel was doing this everyone would be criticising them for doing it!

Well I can tell you that’s the case. Could you get away with it on a gaming system... Maybe on some boards, but I wouldn’t recommend it.

Soldato
Well I can tell you that’s the case. Could you get away with it on a gaming system... Maybe on some boards, but I wouldn’t recommend it.

The B550A has been out for months in OEM systems,since last year - they were being made side by side. They have partial PCI-E 4.0 support and work fine:
https://www.pcgamesn.com/amd/ryzen-b550a-motherboard-pcie-4-support

So do you think AMD is going to make a special B450 chipset chip for OEMs and one for DIY motherboards - this is highly unlikely. BTW,there were also NEW B450 motherboards launched after Zen2 was released - examples include the MSI Max range. So why don't those support it then?

The OEM systems since last year had B550A motherboards,instead of B450 motherboards. So are you now telling me AMD knowingly sold B450 motherboards for the last 6 months which were faulty,but OEMs got B450 motherboards(made by the same factories) which worked OK with PCI-E 4.0? Seems a stretch - its more likely many B450 motherboards will work OK,if an OEM rebadge works fine. They use the same ASMedia chipset. It's more like they couldn't fool OEMs that easily.

Also,the Soyo B550 motherboard uses a thin,reduced form factor mATX motherboard. If you have ever seen some of those types of motherboards,they are thin and tend to flex more. Probably less PCB layers than the better quality B450 and X470 motherboards. Do you actually think an Asus ROG Maximus X470 motherboard has less layers than a cheap OEM Soyo B550 motherboard with two SATA ports??

Remember,how last year the excuse for the X570 only having PCI-E 4.0 was due to signal integrity and retimers,etc. Funny how a few months later for OEMs,a rebadged B450 chipset could have certified partial PCI-E 4.0 support,and the B550 has support for both the main PCI-E 4.0 slot and M2 slot,with a basic chipset and a cheap PCB. Yet all the newer B450 motherboards released since last year can't do it. Sounds more like they spent a lot of money on the X570 chipset and realised PCI-E 4.0 could probably work on the ASMedia chipsets,but decided it would reduce X570 sales,so decided to make it entirely exclusive to the X570.

Plus nobody said that all B450/X470 motherboards needed compatible BIOSes,it only needed to be for the better ones. I still find it hilarious a £50 level quality Soyo OEM B550 can have PCI-E 4.0 support and the best X470 motherboards are not "good enough".

We will have to agree to disagree on this then!

Last edited:
Soldato
The B550A has been out for months in OEM systems,since last year - they were being made side by side. They have partial PCI-E 4.0 support and work fine:
https://www.pcgamesn.com/amd/ryzen-b550a-motherboard-pcie-4-support

So do you think AMD is going to make a special B450 chipset chip for OEMs and one for DIY motherboards - this is highly unlikely. BTW,there were also NEW B450 motherboards launched after Zen2 was released - examples include the MSI Max range. So why don't those support it then?

The OEM systems since last year had B550A motherboards,instead of B450 motherboards. So are you now telling me AMD knowingly sold B450 motherboards for the last 6 months which were faulty,but OEMs got B450 motherboards(made by the same factories) which worked OK with PCI-E 4.0? Seems a stretch - its more likely many B450 motherboards will work OK,if an OEM rebadge works fine. They use the same ASMedia chipset. It's more like they couldn't fool OEMs that easily.

Also,the Soyo B550 motherboard uses a thin,reduced form factor mATX motherboard. If you have ever seen some of those types of motherboards,they are thin and tend to flex more. Probably less PCB layers than the better quality B450 and X470 motherboards. Do you actually think an Asus ROG Maximus X470 motherboard has less layers than a cheap OEM Soyo B550 motherboard with two SATA ports??

Remember,how last year the excuse for the X570 only having PCI-E 4.0 was due to signal integrity and retimers,etc. Funny how a few months later for OEMs,a rebadged B450 chipset could have certified partial PCI-E 4.0 support,and the B550 has support for both the main PCI-E 4.0 slot and M2 slot,with a basic chipset and a cheap PCB. Yet all the newer B450 motherboards released since last year can't do it. Sounds more like they spent a lot of money on the X570 chipset and realised PCI-E 4.0 could probably work on the ASMedia chipsets,but decided it would reduce X570 sales,so decided to make it entirely exclusive to the X570.

Plus nobody said that all B450/X470 motherboards needed compatible BIOSes,it only needed to be for the better ones. I still find it hilarious a £50 level quality Soyo OEM B550 can have PCI-E 4.0 support and the best X470 motherboards are not "good enough".

We will have to agree to disagree on this then!

Who knows maybe AMD just want some extra fees. PCI-E 4 on PCI-E 3 boards isn’t stable though.

Soldato
How long do temps stay good? I'd be happy with 6 of 12 or 8 of 16 cores at 4.6ghz with IPC uplift. The longer we wait the more we need, or buy, or save, or something.

Indefinetly it seems, running any single thread load the temperature never goes above 50c.

Last night I was playing the resident evil 3 remake and at 4K 60hz the 3950x was between 2% and 5% usage and CPU temperature was 35c

Associate
Indefinetly it seems, running any single thread load the temperature never goes above 50c.

Last night I was playing the resident evil 3 remake and at 4K 60hz the 3950x was between 2% and 5% usage and CPU temperature was 35c
It really is ridiculous playing a game with the GPU at 100% going mad and the CPU basically snoozing at 10%.

Associate
It really is ridiculous playing a game with the GPU at 100% going mad and the CPU basically snoozing at 10%.
Yeah I have to agree the CPU being pretty much idle with one or two cores ticking over while the GPU is over taxed seems a crazy and unbalanced way to be using a PC's resources. I remember when Nvidia moved T&L to the GPU so as not to tax overworked CPUs 20 years ago. Seems we need to reverse that to get some lazy CPU cores working a bit harder. It's all computing power either way even if CPUs are less versatile.

Associate

I'm looking forward to my first AMD CPU again since Barton! I have all components except MOBO and CPU and it's going to have to be 12 cores minimum. I'm tempted to buy MOBO and 3600x now just to fiddle but 570 MOBO pricing means I'm waiting. I need a SLI board and until I can get a CPU that creams a 9900K I have to wait otherwise I'm doing a half upgrade.

Caporegime
dont get why you would buy a x570 board especially with the annoying fans. new boards will come with these new chips most of the bugs ironed out clock better run faster and cooler. no reason to buy at moment only to regret it in a few months.

Soldato
We need to see what happens. It might be a simple case of it won't work out the box, and BIOS support will have to come later/will be on a vendor by vendor basis.
A bit like how 3000 series chips didnt work on older motherboards immediately also, and 1*** series wouldnt work on X570 until a little later down the line. We will have to see what is said and turns out to be the case once the chips are here.

Associate
A guy on Tech Deals asked if he should upgrade from his 1700x CPU on a B450 board to a Ryzen 3000 series or wait for the Zen 3 release.
Just take a look at Tech Deals reaction and you can see why some B450 owners with Zen 3 plans are a bit worried :eek:

Tech Deals - Jump to 1:54:12
https://youtu.be/JioP7tJIxd8?t=6852 (direct link to question)

Edit: Perfect Chaos beat me to it :D

Associate
A guy on Tech Deals asked if he should upgrade from his 1700x CPU on a B450 board to a Ryzen 3000 series or wait for the Zen 3 release.
Just take a look at Tech Deals reaction and you can see why some B450 owners with Zen 3 plans are a bit worried :eek:

Tech Deals - Jump to 1:54:12
https://youtu.be/JioP7tJIxd8?t=6852 (direct link to question)

two gold stars for that man!

dont get why you would buy a x570 board especially with the annoying fans. new boards will come with these new chips most of the bugs ironed out clock better run faster and cooler. no reason to buy at moment only to regret it in a few months.

never ever noticed the fan noise over say a gpu cooler.
they are decent quality delta fans also so not like the old days with buzzing fans when the bearings go hopefully...

Associate
Hey gang, my computer bit the dust which means it's time for me to upgrade. It looks like motherboard is fried and not sure what other parts along with it (I don't have replacement parts to test with, but I believe my gtx 970 is still salvageable).

Is it worth holding out for the ryzen 4000 series? What's the current concensus on the expected release date? I have a laptop I can still do my work on in the meantime and some consoles to game on. So I can wait it out if it's not too long of a wait.

an alternative is to buy a cheap as chips ryzen 3100 when it releases and take a gamble with my motherboard being one of the select few supported to receive a bios update for ryzen 4000 when it releases and hopefully buy one of the new cpus and a new gpu along with it if my 970 can hold out until then.

Soldato

two gold stars for that man!
:p

His reaction seems frustrated that he can't say what he wants to

reactions.png

Associate
Hey gang, my computer bit the dust which means it's time for me to upgrade. It looks like motherboard is fried and not sure what other parts along with it (I don't have replacement parts to test with, but I believe my gtx 970 is still salvageable).

Is it worth holding out for the ryzen 4000 series? What's the current concensus on the expected release date? I have a laptop I can still do my work on in the meantime and some consoles to game on. So I can wait it out if it's not too long of a wait.

an alternative is to buy a cheap as chips ryzen 3100 when it releases and take a gamble with my motherboard being one of the select few supported to receive a bios update for ryzen 4000 when it releases and hopefully buy one of the new cpus and a new gpu along with it if my 970 can hold out until then.

id look into a replacement psu? try that first

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom