• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 3 (5000 Series), rumored 17% IPC gain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm expecting around a 30-40% uplift will be ballpark for zen 4.
Guess they have to anyway since they have to compete with not just Alder Lake but also Raptor Lake.

The problem is the tough spot of going AMD: forced high DDR5 pricing (unless it drops a lot by then) or going Raptor Lake with a choice of DDR4: likely no future upgrades for the board.

Guess they have to anyway since they have to compete with not just Alder Lake but also Raptor Lake.

The problem is the tough spot of going AMD: forced high DDR5 pricing (unless it drops a lot by then) or going Raptor Lake with a choice of DDR4: likely no future upgrades for the board.

What they should do is keep Zen 3 on the market as the DDR4 alternative, at these new prices they are competitive with Alder Lake.

I'll be sticking with my 5800X till zen5 / meteor lake by which time DDR5 should have matured plus have better pricing and any platform bugs will have been ironed out.

As much as that? that 30-40% are you thinking IPC or multi-core? a similar increase like Zen2 to Zen3?

do you think Zen3 will go up in price? atm either the 5900x or 5950x are tempting me to upgrade from a 3900x
AMD managed an 18% ipc with zen 3 on the same node / socket so with a new socket I could definetly see them managing 30% on with a better node and newer socket, 40% maybe pushing it but it's likely to have a clock bump which will make it feel more like 40%.

AMD managed an 18% ipc with zen 3 on the same node / socket so with a new socket I could definetly see them managing 30% on with a better node and newer socket, 40% maybe pushing it but it's likely to have a clock bump which will make it feel more like 40%.
True, some say 40% it’s unrealistic because no Zen has had that much growth so far, but every Zen so far were on the same socket so they are limited, we should compare different sockets like AM3 to AM4 which was about 50% IPC.

142 watt power limit on the PGA socket.
I guess with Zen4 the power limits will be higher - which would allow higher boosts.

5900x is cheaper still. I know you have the 12 core 3900x but do you REALLY need the 16 cores? Would a better IPC 12 core again not be enough for you?
hmm.. ive been looking at that too - some of the benchmarks are showing the 5900x actually faster than the 5950x?

I guess with Zen4 the power limits will be higher - which would allow higher boosts.

Yeah, i don't know what the power limits are on LGA, if there even are any, but its obviously a lot higher than 142 watts.

That 142 watts is the official limit of the socket but its not a hard limit, people are pushing way over 200 watts with their overclocked 5950X's but i think you do need a good board for it to be stable, i've heard overclocking 5950X's on not so high end AM4 boards is not stable. It probably wouldn't be on mine.

hmm.. ive been looking at that too - some of the benchmarks are showing the 5900x actually faster than the 5950x?

In some games and I think I saw it beat the 5950X in Topaz Labs Ai upscaling. In either case it's very close and the Ai benchmark was kind of academic because the software is much faster using the GPU rather than the CPU. Still, the 5900X was technically faster in a non-gaming application. That's why it stuck out to me.

I see AM4 CPU prices are still coming down especially the higher end parts, ~£330 5900x and ~£429 for the 5950x! EU only right now but that was the same the other day, then two days later the UK caught up.

I see AM4 CPU prices are still coming down especially the higher end parts, ~£330 5900x and ~£429 for the 5950x! EU only right now but that was the same the other day, then two days later the UK caught up.

I hate how much the prices are dropping. Trying to sell parts in order to upgrade is going to be near pointless at this rate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom