• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 3 (5000 Series), rumored 17% IPC gain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
I didnt bought a 570 because i never expected them to pull this **** and i wouldnt make use of pcie x4, they literally pulled a intel move, cant wait to see fanboys trying to spin this **** move.

Soldato
Problem is that a lot of people who used the B450 were on a budget,so the chance they could drop in a better CPU in a few years time,is really useful for them. Remember,the X570 motherboards were quite pricey at launch too.

I am saddened they pulled this stunt,but at least I had my motherboard since 2018 with Zen+ so I have at least one more generation. People who have bought into this chipset much later,ie,will upgrade later than me to AM5,will probably be not happy at all.

Your not the only one I hear saying this now.

I blew a lot of my budget on the mobo knowing I'd have the 3600 as a stop gap cpu. Deliberate decision on my part. AMD said "Up to 2020" sucks I guess but if they said "up to 2021" then they wouldn't have a leg to stand on, they didn't though...

Soldato
Tbh I don't really get the outrage. They said up 2020 from start. Newer chips, newer boards. People suggesting they won't buy the next chip but go Intel to make a point when Intel has always done socket and chip together etc.

Seems like way out of proportion of the news. You got support for a few different chip gens with previous socket and although yes I thought this one would be as well it was always going to stop supporting at some point and the last year buying in would also always been in same boat be it this chip or next.

What is interesting is it's suggesting the latest mobo could possibly support the next gen of chips too from that slide anyways. Or there is only a single generation with them.

Associate
The Exciting Future of AMD Socket AM4
Blog Post created by rhallock

Q: What about (X pre-500 Series chipset)?
A: AMD has no plans to introduce “Zen 3” architecture support for older chipsets. While we wish could enable full support for every processor on every chipset, the flash memory chips that store BIOS settings and support have capacity limitations. Given these limitations, and the unprecedented longevity of the AM4 socket, there will inevitably be a time and place where a transition to free up space is necessary—the AMD 500 Series chipsets are that time.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Tbh I don't really get the outrage. They said up 2020 from start. Newer chips, newer boards. People suggesting they won't buy the next chip but go Intel to make a point when Intel has always done socket and chip together etc.

Seems like way out of proportion of the news. You got support for a few different chip gens with previous socket and although yes I thought this one would be as well it was always going to stop supporting at some point and the last year buying in would also always been in same boat be it this chip or next.

What is interesting is it's suggesting the latest mobo could possibly support the next gen of chips too from that slide anyways. Or there is only a single generation with them.

All depends on how one interprets "up to 2020", this is what they said, a lot of people, including ME surmised that this would be 4 generations of Ryzen, AMD never said that. Did we all just make assumptions and then those assumptions became fact? Again????

AMD's language was not that clear, and i'm not convinced AMD weren't deliberately vague, they certainly didn't correct any assumptions that a lot of trusted reviewers fell into making.

I'm just glad i didn't buy a 400 series motherboard, now i think i'll wait for B550 and get a new case at this point instead.

Soldato
As a b450 Max owner that was intending to upgrade.... What a load of BS, they just lost one processor sale and lets say i will think twice before buying anything of them, one generation motherboard....

You might find you still can, be aware that by the time any Rzyen 4000 launches they will also have x670 or similar series out, so you will be 2 behind.
The b450s have issues with 3950 etc due to their ROM size, the MAX boards have remedied this.
As you have a MAX it might still be possible.
We have one of our boards as MAX so i'll be interested in this also.

Soldato
Don't get the outrage, 2 generations is all you normally get on a board, if you bought X570 you are all good.

Motherboard partners will be pushing for this so people have to upgrade, it will be like PCIE 4.0 on older boards yes it might work on the high end stuff but its bad PR for faulty boards and RMA, so just stop it working if it won't work on all of them 100%. Some of the early Ryzen boards had paper thin PCB.

They said until 2020 not 4 generations, everyone was just assuming that was the case....

If you bought early into a solid X370 you have had access to 3 generations of CPU. If you bought B450 you have had two, even if you have bought Tomahawk Max, ok its a bit of a shame but its cheap at less than £100 not like you have bought a really expensive board and its no good.

Don
I would have to question that image, a 3900x works on x370, that seems to say it doesn't. Wheres that image from anyway?

I wouldn't read too much into that image, 3000 series work on certain A320 and B350 motherboards, despite not being "officially" supported in that image above.

I imagine the MAX versions of 400 series boards and the like will get BIOS updates anyway.

Associate
"Another interesting thing revealed is that the upcoming “Zen 3” 4th generation Ryzen desktop processors will only support AMD 500-series (or later) chipsets. These processors will not work on older 400-series or 300-series chipsets."

source: https://thinkcomputers.org/amd-deta...rss&utm_campaign=amd-details-the-b550-chipset

AMD-Ryzen-3-B550-Chipset-2-1000x563.jpg

Soldato
I blew a lot of my budget on the mobo knowing I'd have the 3600 as a stop gap cpu. Deliberate decision on my part. AMD said "Up to 2020" sucks I guess but if they said "up to 2021" then they wouldn't have a leg to stand on, they didn't though...
Its just Intel level tactics really. The BIOS reason is a load of tosh. Plenty of B450/X570 motherboards have 32mb BIOSes.

If the new chips need more microcode than old boards can handle to perform....I want them to perform.

I don't want hobbled/weak CPUs.

AMD said it was BIOS size limitations. If you look at most X570 motherboards they use 32mb BIOSes. Lots of the latest B450 and X470 motherboards have 32mb BIOSes. Do you think a £250 X470 ROG motherboard is going to be more hobbled by than a £40 A520 motherboard? Zen is an SOC,the chipset is only a PCI-E conversion point. This is the same reasons Intel keep saying when they locked out CPUs,for the last 10 years,and its been shown repeatedly Intel didn't "need" to do it.

Last edited:
Soldato
If the new chips need more microcode than some old boards can handle, in order to perform....I want them to perform.

I don't want hobbled/weak CPUs.

Don
I wouldn't read too much into that image, 3000 series work on certain A320 and B350 motherboards, despite not being "officially" supported in that image above.

I imagine the MAX versions of 400 series boards and the like will get BIOS updates anyway.

Going back to the 3000/X570 series launch there was this official slide:
cw3mrgu.jpg

Just because there isn't "official" AMD support, doesn't mean that partners can't add support and take the burden of testing themselves, in the same way that certain 3xx series boards do support 3000 series chips.

https://www.techspot.com/news/80288-amd-x570-chipset-wont-support-first-generation-ryzen.html

Soldato
I was looking at the MSI X470 GAMING PLUS MAX, i don't know what to do now?

Stick with what you have?? You have a Ryzen 5 3600. I would skip Zen3,and wait for Zen4. B550/X570 might be dead-end too,ie,there is no guarentee Zen4 will work in it.

Going back to the 3000/X570 series launch there was this official slide:
Just because there isn't "official" AMD support, doesn't mean that partners can't add support and take the burden of testing themselves, in the same way that certain 3xx series boards do support 3000 series chips.

https://www.techspot.com/news/80288-amd-x570-chipset-wont-support-first-generation-ryzen.html

Problem with this is the 300 series were technically one generation behind already,as B450 launched for Zen+ and AMD kept it as the mainstream Zen2 chipset for a year now. If the B550 had launched last year,there would be less annoyance. This will affect probably most DIY Zen2 builds,as X570 was very expensive at launch! To now have patchy BIOS support,for a currently mainstream chipset is not really ideal,and AMD really FUBAR'ed this up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom