• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 3 (5000 Series), rumored 17% IPC gain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
They never mentioned number of releases at all. We all posted suggesting it would likely be if they meant to include 2020.

Looking back at the slides it does kinda show up to 2020 from what's been posted and the wording wasn't clear which I feel was marketing on purpose. However yeah, no mention of 4 generations.

I've also posted an interview from the Senior Technical Marketing Manager that they meant through to 2020. Not necessarily including 2020. He even clarifies they've already met that promise with Zen 2.

Their timeline slide also clearly shows only 3 full years of support, from the beginning of 2016 through to the beginning of 2020.

Soldato
I'm glad I just bought a B450 board (Pro Carbon), I could have spent another £150 for nothing on X570 only to find by the time I want to upgrade my CPU, probably Zen 5 or 6 in 2022 or even beyond, the X570 will be obsolete or won't even support the 5000 or 6000 series of CPU's.

It's going to be really expensive if you're a serial upgrader who likes the new shiny every year or two.

Soldato
"Has AMD Become the Monster they Slayed??"

What, because of a screwed up release schedule AMD have done a single-generation motherboard? Jesus Christ, the tears going around the interwebs over this is ridiculous, it's verging on self-entitlement and quite childish.

I've been waiting on B550 for Christ knows how long because I wanted a Zen 2 build. I built 2 systems for friends based on the B450 Mortar Max so I had an upgrade path. My assumption, like everybody else, that I could go all the way to Zen 3, but it's no big deal because 2600X to 3950X would be a monumental upgrade for them.

And even then, where is this "one generation motherboard" tripe coming from? B450 and X470 are 2-generation boards, it's just tough titty that if you paired B450 with Zen 2 you don't go any further. Hell, if B450 and X470 DID have Zen 3 support you're still "one generation" if you bought Zen 3 + B450/X470 from new.

PR ****-ups and dodgy delayed release of B550 does not instantly make AMD the new Intel. Grow up.

Edit: and for all of his lavish Techtuber persona, Linus is correct in what he says in that video about customer confusion and BIOS compatibility.

Associate
I totally agree with @LePhuronn

I myself have the B450 Mortar Max and soon (TM) I'll be upgrading to the X570 Tomahawk and then at the end of the year upgrading again to the Zen3 probably the 4800x if naming is the same, as well as maybe an X670 MB too,
all I mainly do is game and compile code for my university degree,

As of Jan 2020 I've given up smoking and now sink that money into upgrades as an enthusiast as that's what I want to do and enjoy upgrading my system even if I don't get much gain.

Caporegime
"Has AMD Become the Monster they Slayed??"

What, because of a screwed up release schedule AMD have done a single-generation motherboard? Jesus Christ, the tears going around the interwebs over this is ridiculous, it's verging on self-entitlement and quite childish.

I've been waiting on B550 for Christ knows how long because I wanted a Zen 2 build. I built 2 systems for friends based on the B450 Mortar Max so I had an upgrade path. My assumption, like everybody else, that I could go all the way to Zen 3, but it's no big deal because 2600X to 3950X would be a monumental upgrade for them.

And even then, where is this "one generation motherboard" tripe coming from? B450 and X470 are 2-generation boards, it's just tough titty that if you paired B450 with Zen 2 you don't go any further. Hell, if B450 and X470 DID have Zen 3 support you're still "one generation" if you bought Zen 3 + B450/X470 from new.

PR ****-ups and dodgy delayed release of B550 does not instantly make AMD the new Intel. Grow up.

Edit: and for all of his lavish Techtuber persona, Linus is correct in what he says in that video about customer confusion and BIOS compatibility.
People, including those of genuine disposition are waiting for AMD to become the bogeyman, i think a lot of it is down to cynicism as we all instinctively doubt, for good reason, that a every large successful entity can be anything other than cynical and crappy toward its customer base.

So as soon as we see what we think are signs a company moving from an underdog state to successful and with that devolving into something we hate in those others we clutch onto it and scream, after that its hard to climb down from that position after the dust settles and it turns out its not quite what we thought it was and the offending company may even have a good pragmatic reason for their actions.

AMD never said what we thought they did, we made those assumptions because we imprinted upon what they did say what we wanted them to say, they can't do it, that's the reality.... mixed support is messy, the mixed support they have given us until this point has created a mess not just for themselves but also us their customers and their hardware partners, they tried, it didn't work, now they are drawing a line through it.

Soldato
No but it still reflects poorly on a company that many had put there faith and hard earned cash into.
It really doesn't. In fact I'd say taking a stand, drawing a line in the sand and being clear actually reflects favourably on AMD. Don't ever forget that we are nerds who dig deep into all of this, we are the minority. Everybody here is always talking about mindshare and how the eyes of Joe Public are not favourable towards AMD and how this has contributed so negatively towards market share. So imagine the massive backlash in mindshare AMD would suffer in the eyes of Joe Public if there was spotty and inconsistent Zen 3 support in 400 series boards. Nobody reads that ****, they'll just buy an AM4 CPU and an AM4 motherboard and then cry to the heavens about how **** and cheap and poor AMD are when their CPU doesn't work in the board. It was bad enough with Zen 2 and 300 series boards, it would be even worse now.

And we enthusiasts only have ourselves to blame by making assumptions and interpreting AMD's roadmaps. We all thought the numbers and dates would point to Zen 3 support, but that's clearly not the case. Many people have commented already that AMD coming out of the Shitdozer era had zero leverage with motherboard vendors to enforce big BIOS chips and enforce multi-generation CPU support. And now we see the ramifications of that.

I applaud AMD for actually sucking it up and ******* off the miniscule amount of enthusiasts with this decision.

Soldato
AMD never said what we thought they did, we made those assumptions because we imprinted upon what they did say what we wanted them to say, they can't do it, that's the reality.... mixed support is messy, the mixed support they have given us until this point has created a mess not just for themselves but also us their customers and their hardware partners, they tried, it didn't work, now they are drawing a line through it.
Exactamundo.

Soldato
There's no guarantee the x570/b550 will work out the box with zen 3 either as it will require a bios update which won't be a given that they will come pre-updated when buying a new board so unless joe public picks a board with flashback or buys a zen 2 CPU to update the bios thay may find themselves in exactly the Same situation as you discribe.

The roadmap just shows AM4 being supported till 2020 which is clearly also wrong also as AM4 is still being supported after 2020.

The main issue is AMD held back B550 which I wanted to buy and would have brought but due to it being unavailable with not even a stated release date went for a B450 max board as I knew about issues with the smaller bios chips and which did and still does promise zen 3 compatibility as I "had done my research" and pairing this with a 3600 with the view to upgrading to a 4700x/4900x which again if I had been aware of non support at the time would have got a 3700x 3900x or a x570 so yeah I do feel let down. I spent 3 months researching all of this before buying everything purposely so this **** didn't happen.

Soldato
I'd like to make a suggestion to AMD long before Zen4 launches and i mean Zen4 not Zen4000.

Just call it Zen4 and call the mobo's Xzen4. Then if a year down the line there is a slight change like there was between Zen1 and Zen2, make shure that Xzen4 mobo's are compatible with Zen4+. Promise nothing beyond that, unless you are 100% shure that Xzen4 is fully compatible with Zen5. This may well not go down well with mobo vendors, but Intel will always keep them busy anyway. In the mean time those of us that would like to see AMD grow, will have an upgrade path we might trust.

Permabanned
I'd like to make a suggestion to AMD long before Zen4 launches and i mean Zen4 not Zen4000.

Just call it Zen4 and call the mobo's Xzen4. Then if a year down the line there is a slight change like there was between Zen1 and Zen2, make shure that Xzen4 mobo's are compatible with Zen4+. Promise nothing beyond that, unless you are 100% shure that Xzen4 is fully compatible with Zen5. This may well not go down well with mobo vendors, but Intel will always keep them busy anyway. In the mean time those of us that would like to see AMD grow, will have an upgrade path we might trust.
Completely agree with that 100%.

Soldato
I guess that means Intel can pull out the same thing about ROM sizes next time round they require users to get a new motherboard and get out unscathed then.

Not really and you know that full well @Martini1991 . Any ROM size difference is down to mobo vendors. The point i made was that AMD or indeed Intel if you like, is that AMD need to make ROM size into any requirement for the lifespan of any cpu.............as indeed Intel should as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom