• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 3 (5000 Series), rumored 17% IPC gain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

I get why AMD are doing this, If you're Johnny Normie buying a B450 Tomahawk Max because the whole internet says its a great board and very good value... you pair it with a Zen 3 CPU and it doesn't work, you don't know why that is, you just think its broken and so you send it back, the retailer sends it back to you and charges postage with a note saying "you need to contact AMD so they can send you a loaner CPU so you can update the BIOS" you don't even know what a BIOS is!

If you're Johnny Normie, and the vast majority are you're just going to think AMD suck, you're going to tell your friends AMD suck!

AMD want to avoid that, it craps on enthusiasts like us but if AMD are ever to improve their mandshare this is what has to be done.

What AMD should do is treat their enthusiast community like adults and just say that ^^^.

"Thank you guys for your support but things are changing, sorry. This is why...."

Would Johnny Normie really be that clueless if he's looking to build his own PC?

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

I was... there is a first time for everyone and the point is had Johnny Normie gone Intel it would just work.

I meant in the sense that, nobody just decides to build a pc and starts buying parts randomly... There will be at least some research that goes into it right? Especially these days with the abundance of info thats available on forums like this and on youtube

Soldato
I get why AMD are doing this, If you're Johnny Normie buying a B450 Tomahawk Max because the whole internet says its a great board and very good value... you pair it with a Zen 3 CPU and it doesn't work, you don't know why that is, you just think its broken and so you send it back, the retailer sends it back to you and charges postage with a note saying "you need to contact AMD so they can send you a loaner CPU so you can update the BIOS" you don't even know what a BIOS is!
No need for a loan CPU as the tomahawk max has bios flashback so updating the bios without a CPU is no problem.

Although you might encounter that situation with a B550 or X570 without flashback which would also need a bios update to support Zen3.

Soldato
I meant in the sense that, nobody just decides to build a pc and starts buying parts randomly... There will be at least some research that goes into it right? Especially these days with the abundance of info thats available on forums like this and on youtube

You'd be surprised. A lot of people assume it'll just work; they don't know any better as so much stuff is more or less spoonfed these days.
Back when I worked in retail in years gone by most of the returns were not products which didn't work; they were returns because the customer hadn't done the research, asked questions etc, they'd just bought XYZ and expected it to work.

Soldato

If you're Johnny Normie, and the vast majority are you're just going to think AMD suck, you're going to tell your friends AMD suck!

Instead now, Johnny Normie has bought his B450 Tomahawk Max because the whole internet said its a great board and very good value, and because the manufacturer stated it would work with the next generation of CPU that Johnny Normie was planning to upgrade to in a couple of years, but now he can't, and (quite rightly) feels that he has been lied to and ripped off.

Caporegime

As @Alexrose1uk said you would be surprised.

People just buy a AMD board and an AMD CPU thinking they would just fit together, they are not expecting to have to #### about with it to get it to work and if that's what they end up having to do its because AMD suck.

Soldato
The whole arguement about bios compatability is pointless as B550 and X570 are in the same boat as B450 and X470 when Zen 2 released these boards don't have automatic Zen3 support and will need a bios update to work or a loan CPU.

Caporegime
The whole arguement about bios compatability is pointless as B550 and X570 are in the same boat as B450 and X470 when Zen 2 released these boards don't have automatic Zen3 support and will need a bios update to work or a loan CPU.

And this is why Intel change the socket if the CPU doesn't work in the older board without a BIOS change.

Soldato
I'd have thought if you're happy with whatever Ryzen build you have now, then this debacle would have informed you to wait until you really need an upgrade and get on whatever platform there is in a few years time and skip the incremental upgrades altogether.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom