• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 3 (5000 Series), rumored 17% IPC gain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Permabanned
I would have been happy to drop an extra 50 quid though had I been aware at the time that X570 was the only board getting future support but nothing in the marketing stated this infact it was quite the opposite in the case of MSI.
I'm sure you would have and yes you have every right to feel annoyed. I don't know what to say other than I hope they come up with some kind of solution. But hey If they don't the World Isn't going to stop spinning and you're computer Isn't going to stop working. If you brought a 3600 you have 10 more cores you can add If you feel you need it, or If It bothers you that much you can go Intel next time.

I hope they find a way around It for everybody's sake but you got to hope for the best and prepare for the worst.

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

So as someone who currently has a B450 Pro Carbon AC paired with a 2600, is the furthest I can go a 3900x or 3950x then?

Not even sure if a B450 can handle the 3950x either, so might be the 3900x at best.

Permabanned
So as someone who currently has a B450 Pro Carbon AC paired with a 2600, is the furthest I can go a 3900x or 3950x then?

Not even sure if a B450 can handle the 3950x either, so might be the 3900x at best.
It’s looking that way at the moment unless Amd choose to make a u-turn and try and support those affected.

You could always try and sell your board and buy a b550 or something.

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

It’s looking that way at the moment unless Amd choose to make a u-turn and try and support those affected.

You could always try and sell your board and buy a b550 or something.

Not the worst thing in the world for me, but at the time I got that board i spent a little extra as I thought it would last me longer. If I had known my next upgrade, I was going to upgrade the board and cpu together, I would have probably just gone for a cheaper B450 board as I didn't really get much use out of this aside from the OC'ing to 4.1ghz, the design (which i liked more than all other b450 boards) and the I/O being what I needed.

At least when I decide to upgrade, I can sell both the board and CPU together

Soldato
GN Steve said MSI have a big problem now. They invested the most into the B450 motherboards,spent loads on marketing and secured a lot of the chipsets for the motherboards. Their models were among the top selling B450 motherboards worldwide,and they expected a slower reduction in sales due to this. It appears they were totally blindsided by AMD,and are the OEM pushing the most for AMD to change it's decision.

They also explicitly stated that the MAX boards would support all future AM4 chips, which is going to leave them in the **** if it turns out they don't!

Permabanned
Not the worst thing in the world for me, but at the time I got that board i spent a little extra as I thought it would last me longer. If I had known my next upgrade, I was going to upgrade the board and cpu together, I would have probably just gone for a cheaper B450 board as I didn't really get much use out of this aside from the OC'ing to 4.1ghz, the design (which i liked more than all other b450 boards) and the I/O being what I needed.

At least when I decide to upgrade, I can sell both the board and CPU together
Yeah It's not ideal mate and again I hope they sort it out but as Zen 3 Is not out yet we don't really know what will happen for sure.

Soldato
From a sales perspective it makes sense for AMD to want they're CPUs to work on as many motherboards as possible.

Which means there is a technical reason why support has been dropped. I refuse it believe it's BIOS size alone. Because that can be fixed quite easily if they put their thinking caps on.

Soldato
From a sales perspective it makes sense for AMD to want they're CPUs to work on as many motherboards as possible.

Which means there is a technical reason why support has been dropped. I refuse it believe it's BIOS size alone. Because that can be fixed quite easily if they put their thinking caps on.
It's probably just marketing to keep zen 2 sales as high as possible leading up to zen 3 launch as many people would have held off upgrading their CPU till zen 3 but now support is dropped they may go and buy a zen 2 CPU instead. I fully expect AMD to backtrack on this around zen 3 launch so as not to lose out on Zen 3 sales.

Caporegime
Your man Steve has just gone into this with a new video, its a pretty interesting listen if you are into this stuff.

Steve makes some good points and a wholeheartedly agree AMD need to stop with the cheap jibes.

However he is missing the nuance point completely.... he thinks AMD can continue their messy mixed support by not offering a UEFI UI or in some other way compromising. "AMD being the compromise" is exactly the mindshare AMD are trying to escape, its the reason for their messy mixed support is ended at Zen 3.

AMD has become a bit of an obsession for Steve too, before this he never stopped banging on about AMD's "Fake TDP" completely ignoring Intel do exactly the same thing only to a much greater degree... and not at all to my surprise Steve is one of those people who performance benchmark Intel CPU with uncapped power level and then caps the power to TDP when power consumption testing, this is a cynical lie that says the 9900K is "performance X in Blender" and uses <95 Watts in the same application, what he's not telling you is the 9900K uses 170 Watt's in Blender to achieve the performance he put on the slides and he artificially caped the power consumption so he could put <95 Watts on the power consumption slides, if you cap the 9900K to 95 Watts its not anywhere near the same performance Steve put on his slides.

So while he's making video after video criticizing AMD remember he lies about Intel to make them look better than they actually are....

Caporegime
He also has a vested interest but look what he’s doing here is the right thing to do. Credit where credits due.

He has an ulterior motive, and if what he's trying to do is damage AMD's mindshare further then i have no time for that, the way he hates on AMD for 65 Watt CPU's using 80 Watts while not just ignoring Intel's 95 Watt CPU's using 170 Watts but actually faking the power consumption slides to say Intel's CPU's do actually use 95 Watts is one of the most pooweasel things you can do while pretending to be an unbiased tech journalist.

Associate
https://www.igorslab.de/en/new-deta...us-have-appeared-the-image-is-getting-denser/
According to the sources, exactly 4.6 GHz boost clock and 4.0 GHz base clock are hidden behind the number sequence 46/40 on the eight-core, while the 16-core is also listed with 4.6 Ghz boost and only 3.7 base clock. These values are of course anything but final and one could expect the predicted clock increases for the A1 revision at the latest. How high these will be, is not yet known.
These are to become 4800X and 4950X. Small bump to clocks on 8 core, small drop to boost on 16 core. But of course power consumption will be dictating actual clocks.
There is some information about future APUs too. Hints of infinity fabric running up to 2000MHz, meaning 1:1 memory ceiling goes to 4000MHz

4800X with unified cache has all of my attention. It is poised to become a gaming/low thread beast

Permabanned
He has an ulterior motive, and if what he's trying to do is damage AMD's mindshare further then i have no time for that, the way he hates on AMD for 65 Watt CPU's using 80 Watts while not just ignoring Intel's 95 Watt CPU's using 170 Watts but actually faking the power consumption slides to say Intel's CPU's do actually use 95 Watts is one of the most pooweasel things you can do while pretending to be an unbiased tech journalist.
They all seem to be in bed with someone or another I rarely watch them to be honest which Is why I'm not as up to date as some on here.

That a side I will defend Amd to a certain point and still think this won't be quite as bad as It's being made out. But they need to help out a brother especially those that brought the B450 Max boards because It's the right thing to do. Looking forward to Zen 3 though :).

Caporegime
They all seem to be in bed with someone or another I rarely watch them to be honest which Is why I'm not as up to date as some on here.

That a side I will defend Amd to a certain point and still think this won't be quite as bad as It's being made out. But they need to help out a brother especially those that brought the B450 Max boards because It's the right thing to do. Looking forward to Zen 3 though :).

I get why AMD are doing this, If you're Johnny Normie buying a B450 Tomahawk Max because the whole internet says its a great board and very good value... you pair it with a Zen 3 CPU and it doesn't work, you don't know why that is, you just think its broken and so you send it back, the retailer sends it back to you and charges postage with a note saying "you need to contact AMD so they can send you a loaner CPU so you can update the BIOS" you don't even know what a BIOS is!

If you're Johnny Normie, and the vast majority are you're just going to think AMD suck, you're going to tell your friends AMD suck!

AMD want to avoid that, it craps on enthusiasts like us but if AMD are ever to improve their mandshare this is what has to be done.

What AMD should do is treat their enthusiast community like adults and just say that ^^^.

"Thank you guys for your support but things are changing, sorry. This is why...."

Permabanned
I get why AMD are doing this, If you're Johnny Normie buying a B450 Tomahawk Max because the whole internet says its a great board and very good value... you pair it with a Zen 3 CPU and it doesn't work, you don't know why that is, you just think its broken and so you send it back, the retailer sends it back to you and charges postage with a note saying "you need to contact AMD so they can send you a loaner CPU so you can update the BIOS" you don't even know what a BIOS is!

If you're Johnny Normie, and the vast majority are you're just going to think AMD suck, you're going to tell your friends AMD suck!

AMD want to avoid that, it craps on enthusiasts like us but if AMD are ever to improve their mandshare this is what has to be done.

What AMD should do is treat their enthusiast community like adults and just say that ^^^.

"Thank you guys for your support but things are changing, sorry. This is why...."
Yeah I get it :). Out of curiosity are you planning to go Zen 3? If so will you be replacing your board If you have too?

Caporegime
Yeah I get it :). Out of curiosity are you planning to go Zen 3? If so will you be replacing your board If you have too?

Depends on how good it is, i skipped Ryzen 2000, if i do to be honest i would have been changing the board anyway, its already 3 years old now..... people who bought a 400 series board thinking it would support Zen 3 have every right to be annoyed at AMD, while their marketing never said that would be the case Steve is also right that a lot of it led one to believe that, and that was probably the intention at the time....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom