• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 3 (5000 Series), rumored 17% IPC gain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
5900x looks like it's dropping again, £359-369, thought it was only in the EU but looks like some UK retailers are now showing this price, could be a supported price, or a newer MSRP.

Man of Honour
5900x looks like it's dropping again, £359-369, thought it was only in the EU but looks like some UK retailers are now showing this price, could be a supported price, or a newer MSRP.
Nice CPU for that price, but I suppose the 12700 is technically 12 cores.

Soldato
Nice CPU for that price, but I suppose the 12700 is technically 12 cores.

Didn't think about it at all tbh. I though it was more to do with the very high chance they announce Zen4 next month at Computex, and want to shift thought the higher end parts they may have in larger quantities than predicted/expected, looks like the 5950x is also in at £499-509 as well.

Caporegime
Caporegime
Didn't think about it at all tbh. I though it was more to do with the very high chance they announce Zen4 next month at Computex, and want to shift thought the higher end parts they may have in larger quantities than predicted/expected, looks like the 5950x is also in at £499-509 as well.

Yeah i can feel Zen 4 approaching, end of second quarter / beginning of the third quarter, May / June / July.

Its 12 to 18 months between AMD CPU releases and May is month 18 since the launch of the 5950X.

Soldato
Tempted to upgrade from my 3900X with the current 5900X price, worthwhile upgrade? I cant see me jumping on Zen 4 early like i did with this CPU and my X470 board should handle the 5900X well with a BIOS update.

Man of Honour
Tempted to upgrade from my 3900X with the current 5900X price, worthwhile upgrade? I cant see me jumping on Zen 4 early like i did with this CPU and my X470 board should handle the 5900X well with a BIOS update.

If you're gaming with a 1660 super, I wouldn't, but it might not cost much if you can get a good return on the 3900X

Soldato
If you're gaming with a 1660 super, I wouldn't, but it might not cost much if you can get a good return on the 3900X

Not gaming much atm, just a bit of DayZ.. would be more for encoding and streaming, also i Dj in an OpenGL Virtual World that likes a better IPC on a CPU. I am also looking at doing these Dj sets on Twitch at the same time, so the 1660S is good enough for this, though a GPU upgrade will be on the list soon :)

Associate
Been wanting to upgrade from my 4770k to a 5900x for a while (gaming, video editing, streaming), and the price drops makes it even harder not to buy! Still not sure if I should wait for Zen 4, or just go with the 5900x.

Soldato
Been wanting to upgrade from my 4770k to a 5900x for a while (gaming, video editing, streaming), and the price drops makes it even harder not to buy! Still not sure if I should wait for Zen 4, or just go with the 5900x.

Well it really depends on if you just use your PC for leisure, or if you need it for actual work. If it is the former of the two, well you've waited this long what's another 4-6 months really? If its the latter, will the 5900x pay for itself vs what you are using now and what could be gained/lost if you waited?

Given the age of your previous machine, if you are likely to keep your new one as ling, then perhaps it is sensible to wait for AM5 and its competitors to see what is on offer, as you know the platform will last a good deal longer than AM4 which is now EOL.

Associate
Wait for Zen 4
... only if you are prepared to pay more. Zen 4 will come with more expensive CPUs, motherboards and DDR5 memory.

Caporegime
AMD have done exactly what they said they would, released a pure gaming chip that's extremely competitive with Intel's top tier offerings.

Some people will use 12900KS benchmarks with heavily tweaked DDR5 to state that AMD hasn't taken the top spot for gaming but it's a silly comparison when you look at the price difference.

Soldato

If you find a good deal then buy now. Zen 3 is pretty good, there are no lacking features and Ram/motherboard prices are very reasonable. Zen 4 would be the generation to skip to let others deal with pains of first-gen products and then upgrade to Zen 5 when DDR5 prices are reasonable and we've had compatible motherboards for a good while.

Soldato
Interesting about DDR5 is that you can get SO-DIMM at lower cost than desktop, 32GB (2x 16GB) for under £175, DIMM is about £50 more for same spec and capacity. It seems to me like the pricing especially at the higher end is being held high because they can, as opposed to because its scare, also DDR5 spot pricing has dropped a lot with it being only 50% more than the same DDR4 capacity vs up to 100% more 3 months ago.

Soldato
Interesting about DDR5 is that you can get SO-DIMM at lower cost than desktop, 32GB (2x 16GB) for under £175, DIMM is about £50 more for same spec and capacity. It seems to me like the pricing especially at the higher end is being held high because they can, as opposed to because its scare, also DDR5 spot pricing has dropped a lot with it being only 50% more than the same DDR4 capacity vs up to 100% more 3 months ago.

DDR5 pricing goes up quite significantly if you don't get the absolute lowest-end stuff.

£/GB of 2x16GB modules of DDR5 is ~£7 on the lower end, ~£10 on the midrange and ~£15 on the higher end.

Same for DDR4 is ~£3 for the low end, £4 for midrange and £6 for higher end.

Within a couple of years the low-end DDR5 stuff might only get to £4/GB but the midrange stuff will get to £6 and high-end to £8. Currently the added costs of DDR5 give no extra performance outside of some edge cases, so it's better to just wait it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom