• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 3 (5000 Series), rumored 17% IPC gain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
I hate how much the prices are dropping. Trying to sell parts in order to upgrade is going to be near pointless at this rate.

Most early adopters of hardware think it's worth it. If resell value is important to you then perhaps buying early isn't for you.

I always buy computer hardware after the prices drop. I'm going to order a bargain 5800x soon.

Soldato
Most early adopters of hardware think it's worth it. If resell value is important to you then perhaps buying early isn't for you.

I always buy computer hardware after the prices drop. I'm going to order a bargain 5800x soon.
If you've been around long enough to remember when the pace of change was ridiculous and the next gen would make the current gear all but worthless. To make matters worse it was really expensive to begin with. It was only AMD with the Athlons that made it affordable for me. GPUs were still very expensive.

Progress is a double edged sword ;)

Soldato
If you've been around long enough to remember when the pace of change was ridiculous and the next gen would make the current gear all but worthless. To make matters worse it was really expensive to begin with. It was only AMD with the Athlons that made it affordable for me. GPUs were still very expensive.

I thought the Athlons were expensive so I bought a Duron 800 and unlocked it by closing the L1 bridges with an HB pencil. I was then able to overlock it to 1050MHz. That was a bargain.

Yes I remember GPU prices getting ridiculously expensive in 1999 when the Geforce 256 came out. The high end has never recovered. I refused and a year I got the Geforce2 MX which had Geforce 256 performance for a budget price.

My next GPU was a Radeon 9500 for £100. I softmoded to a 9700 which gave me high end performance for a budget price.

Every CPU/GPU I've ever bought has been great value for money.

Soldato
I thought the Athlons were expensive so I bought a Duron 800 and unlocked it by closing the L1 bridges with an HB pencil. I was then able to overlock it to 1050MHz. That was a bargain.

Yes I remember GPU prices getting ridiculously expensive in 1999 when the Geforce 256 came out. The high end has never recovered. I refused and a year I got the Geforce2 MX which had Geforce 256 performance for a budget price.

My next GPU was a Radeon 9500 for £100. I softmoded to a 9700 which gave me high end performance for a budget price.

Every CPU/GPU I've ever bought has been great value for money.

Sounds like you've had some great buys. I had a Kyro II card, pretty good for the money. I did the pencil trick on an Athlon and modded a motherboard to take refreshed CPUs, just had to desolder a chip. It still works surprisingly. Not so many bargains these days but as they are getting so fast I'll be aiming for the midrange and staying behind the resolution curve.

Associate

I'm too impatient to wait unfortunately.

As soon as new hardware releases I always get this weird urge to buy.

I used to be terrible with phones but I'm actually using a phone that's nearly 2 years old so that's progress for me lol

Caporegime

That was back when the "your pc is outdated after 6 months" phrase was very accurate. Had athlons and a duron as well, still remember my thunderbird 1.33ghz with that cooler with a delta fan that sounded like a dentists drill. :D

Soldato
That was back when the "your pc is outdated after 6 months" phrase was very accurate. Had athlons and a duron as well, still remember my thunderbird 1.33ghz with that cooler with a delta fan that sounded like a dentists drill. :D

Lol, yes the increase in power was ludicrous. I think the software is the limiting factor now. More complex and takes longer/more expensive to develop.

Soldato
I've just installed a 5800x in my unify x570. I haven't had a chance to have a look at core optimiser yet, but are there any quick and dirty settings I can change to give me a bit of a boost to get me started?

Or should I just start by OCing my memory?

Associate
I've just installed a 5800x in my unify x570. I haven't had a chance to have a look at core optimiser yet, but are there any quick and dirty settings I can change to give me a bit of a boost to get me started?

Or should I just start by OCing my memory?

At the very least you could enable PBO if it's not enabled by default in the bios.

And yeah set D.O.C.P for your ram and run the infinity fabric at 1:1. So if you have 3600Mhz ram run your infinity at 1800Mhz.

Tweaking the curve optimiser for proper stability can be tiresome and long winded as ideally you need to test each core individually. There are specific programs to use for that.

Soldato
At the very least you could enable PBO if it's not enabled by default in the bios.

And yeah set D.O.C.P for your ram and run the infinity fabric at 1:1. So if you have 3600Mhz ram run your infinity at 1800Mhz.

Tweaking the curve optimiser for proper stability can be tiresome and long winded as ideally you need to test each core individually. There are specific programs to use for that.

Which programs do people use? Can you use Clocktuner for Zen3 or Hydra? Or are people using the prime swapper thing Humbug was talking about?

Associate
Which programs do people use? Can you use Clocktuner for Zen3 or Hydra? Or are people using the prime swapper thing Humbug was talking about?

To clarify I didn't mean using a program to test and set values. I'm not personally a fan of any of Usmus's stuff.

I meant stress testing programs to test individual cores. Something like Core Cycler.

I prefer to set individual values myself and then test.

If I was going to use a program to set values I'd probably use ryzen master as that now has an in-built tool. You could use that as a starting point and then input the values in the bios and then test

Soldato
To clarify I didn't mean using a program to test and set values. I'm not personally a fan of any of Usmus's stuff.

I meant stress testing programs to test individual cores. Something like Core Cycler.

I prefer to set individual values myself and then test.

If I was going to use a program to set values I'd probably use ryzen master as that now has an in-built tool. You could use that as a starting point and then input the values in the bios and then test

Core cycler that was (the humbug thing) i as thinking of. And yes always as just a starting point, good pointer about ryzen master - I'll check that out. thanks

Associate
Core cycler that was (the humbug thing) i as thinking of. And yes always as just a starting point, good pointer about ryzen master - I'll check that out. thanks

No worries.

I can get abit ocd about things, but for what it's worth in my extensive testing I found any differences in gaming to be minimal after playing with different curve optimiser settings. Certainly when compared to just enabling PBO.

I found ram had a bigger effect. So it's well worth spending time tweaking that to get the highest frequency and tightest timings you can get with your ram.

Caporegime
I #### knew -24+ was too high, i might try using it to test manual curve and boost settings, even tho it was stable during loads just idling would results in the PC randomly rebooting, which is what it does when you set the negative curve too high, at least with mine.

Stress testing no problem, its something about the CPU in low power idle states with those high Negative Curves that's causing the PC to restart its self, i have a theory, not a new one for me, during idle states the CPU cores draw only tiny fractions of a watt, like 0.02 watts, either the PSU or the OS is not detecting any activity from the CPU, the power draw is too low so it just shuts off.

Even tho it doesn't work with the Auto optimiser, its very useful for setting it manually.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom