• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD "Zen 4" thread (inc AM5/APU discussion) ***

Associate
Initially prices looks great for the zen4 cpus.
6ghz seems like an easy OC target as amd learned to release conservative mhz.
Pretty darn amazing what is coming

Associate
Is it just me or is the hype for zen4 just a bit flat ? seems like AMD really did a job on themsleves with their claims of mediocre performance up lift and yet all the leaks (which I know can't be trusted but when they are all pointing the same way its hard to ignore) seem to suggest that AMD are about to launch a really great CPU lineup. Even on here, with only about a month to go, there would normally be hundreds of pages of chat and speculation. I not long ago upgraded to a 5600x, but the AM5 platform is starting to look like a real good one to jump on.

Associate
So reports today say the 7950X will have boost of 5.7Ghz, 7900X 5.6Ghz, 7700X 5.5Ghz and 7600X 5.4Ghz. I see teh 7700X is reported to have a TDP of 105W and teh 7950X 170W. Interestingh they say you may only be able to undervolt the CPU and may be a limit on voltage you can use

Soldato
Is it just me or is the hype for zen4 just a bit flat ? seems like AMD really did a job on themsleves with their claims of mediocre performance up lift and yet all the leaks (which I know can't be trusted but when they are all pointing the same way its hard to ignore) seem to suggest that AMD are about to launch a really great CPU lineup. Even on here, with only about a month to go, there would normally be hundreds of pages of chat and speculation. I not long ago upgraded to a 5600x, but the AM5 platform is starting to look like a real good one to jump on.

I think Zen4 has the possibility to be a great chip and that AMDs claims were potentially vague to hide some performance details but who knows really. It could be that the performance claims were vague because they weren't hitting targets or that they have an amazing chip and want to do a mic drop on release. Some of the leaks look pretty good really but they're just leaks.

I've been guilty of getting over-hyped in the past though so personally I'm trying to not get carried away so waiting for proper reviews or at least the release slides. Basically be less like Dave :cry:

Not long to wait now anyway.

Soldato
Do you reckon we won't see the B650 cheaper motherboards, until Intel's 13th generation is available? So, at some point in October?

Also, it looks like only a few boards will get certified USB4 support (Mostly X670 Asus). Has there been any word if this will be limited to the X670 chipset only?

Last edited:
Associate
Im sure I read somewhere there is some kind of announcment from AMD today, is that right ?

They did a mboard presentation but the big zen4 is later this month (as far).
I decided to wait for zen4 and upgrade to a new am5 platform.
Make sense after 2 years with am4 and 5600x.

Soldato
Has AMD confirmed if the B650/B650E boards will definitely be launched this year?

Not really bothered about the X670 boards, since it looks like they will cost £200-£300.

Does anyone else think the same, or are you happy to spend a lot on a high end AM5 board?

Associate
Has AMD confirmed if the B650/B650E boards will definitely be launched this year?

Not really bothered about the X670 boards, since it looks like they will cost £200-£300.

Does anyone else think the same, or are you happy to spend a lot on a high end AM5 board?
Depends where prices end up.
Good quality Mboard alongside the psu are key pieces to a trouble free experience.
Unless you need/want a feature on a high end board you be as good with a lesser one.
It might be they dont release b650 in September and it becomes a October/November thing.
we know soon enough

Soldato
I wonder why there have been so few USB 4.0 boards announced? I'd expected more X670 boards to support this feature, considering the age of USB 3.0.

Maybe USB 3.2 is considered to be enough of an upgrade for many customers?

Soldato
I wonder why there have been so few USB 4.0 boards announced? I'd expected more X670 boards to support this feature, considering the age of USB 3.0.

Maybe USB 3.2 is considered to be enough of an upgrade for many customers?

The requirement for high speed USB on desktops is quite niche.
Laptops however, with docks, storage arrays and external GPUs, that’s where it shines.

Soldato
It looks like Thunderbolt 4 also includes the USB 4 spec (at 40gbps), so I think all the Gigabyte boards also can support USB 4, via a 'Thunderbolt U4' header, according to this:

The weird thing about USB 4, is that you need an adapter to connect most older USB 2/3 devices, due to it using the USB C type connector.

Edit - Looks like you will need to buy an expensive add in card to make use of thunderbolt headers :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Soldato
A couple more X670E USB4 boards from ASRock:

The spec is apparently the same, they just have different aesthetics.

Just four USB 4 boards for AM5 so far, that I've heard about. Judging by the x570 equivalents of these ASRock /Asus boards, they will probably all cost £300-£400.

I wonder if there's any chance of USB 4 support on any B650 boards?

Last edited:
Caporegime
Something to chew on...

This is Bergamo, AMD's 128 Zen 4 core EPYC, i couldn't find any information on its clock speeds, the 2.15Ghz reported it just what the firmware in the CPU is reporting, usually base frequency.
I do have some information on Genoa, the 96 Zen 4 core variant of this, it has a maximum boost clock of 3.4Ghz.
So if we assume the maximum boost clock of Bergamo, the chip tested here, is also 3.4Ghz we can come up with some numbers for Zen 4 that are more relevant to us.

The rumour is the 7950X will boost to 5.7Ghz, take that 5.7Ghz and divide it by 3.4Ghz, gives you 1.68 (68%) add that to the 1191 score = 2,001 to proof it add 68% to 3.4 gives you 5.7.

Zen 3 scores around 1,600 at 4.9Ghz, divide 5.7 by 4.9 = 1.16 (16%) add to 4.9 = 5.7 (roughly) < that is interesting, but probably just a coincidence, the rumour is Zen 4 has 8% higher IPC, which would put the score at 5.7Ghz around 2,200, if the tested CPU here is only running at around 3.1Ghz, not 3.4Ghz, that would be about right.

tjHV9GN.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
I would avoid cheap ASRock boards, I have one (just £70) and they used low spec parts for the VRM. I would have thought the high end boards are fine though.

Soldato
Never had an Asrock mobo, something always put me off them and I always stuck to Asus/gigabyte/msi.

I would avoid cheap ASRock boards, I have one (just £70) and they used low spec parts for the VRM. I would have thought the high end boards are fine though.

Cant say the 570 Taichi that I had was that great tbh!
Ditched it in the end and went giga 570 master. Not had an issue since.

And yes I did return the board prior to this thinking it was a one off, 3 boards later I gave up.

Soldato
Sounds like ASRock should be avoided then? In my view, the BIOS/UEFI options aren't great. I don't think the AVX offset options work at all.

What about Biostar, are their boards any better?

My impression from reading reviews, is that the MSI Pro A boards tend to be good value for money, and have a decent VRM.

Back
Top Bottom