• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 5 rumours

Soldato
OP
Overclocking is a dying art in an era of complex boost algorithms and configurable TDPs. No one is leaving much performance untapped these days.

It's sad but I'm starting to see it that way too.

I think for my next PC, I will use a small case and just stick a air cooler on the CPU, couple case fans and call it a day.

That's if I continue with desktop that is, I have a feeling my next computer will be a laptop.

Soldato
OP
Might as well get a Mac then.:p

or a iPad pro since Apple is putting desktop Mac CPU's in it's iPads now.

Give the iPad access to Mac OS and it will be an incredible portable computer - its not funny at all, its awesome.

I could see a future where all my computers have been replaced with iPads

Soldato
OP
Looks like it might not be zen5 that Gigabyte referring too.

It looks like amd is going to launch a hybrid cpu first. The Phoenix APU has both P and E cores

Last edited:
Soldato
OP

just early leaks of course, so take it with a grain of salt. But if true, its very impressive. The jump to 3nm should play a big part in it

If zen5 is 3nm it 100% ain't coming this year cause Apple owns 100% of all 3nm wafer supply for all of 2023

Soldato
OP
Zen 5 info

Seems AMD is doing quite a lot of market segmentation this time.

Servers get zen5 and on TSMC 3nm with up to 192 core counts and lots of ddr5 channels.

Laptops gets zen5c which has big.little architecture on 3nm and up to 24 cores.

Desktop however gets the bottom of the stick; AMD is feeling the heat from Intel on price and AMD can't afford to use 3nm as it's too expensive. So ryzen 8000 gets 4nm with max core count of 16 cores again. Main improvements is 15%-25% IPC and tiny clock speed bump, small improvement to I/O and memory controller for DDR5 6400. In terms of performance this is expected to be the same as Zen 2 to Zen 3. Zen5 doesn't launch with 3D v cache, AMD will launch seperate models again

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Soldato
OP
Its going to be a beast....

TaB9tzZ.png

Well I know the server products are going to be beasts because they are getting more cores, more cache and will be on TSMC 3NM. But desktop is up in the air and will be on 4nm not 3nm. Though 23% IPC and slightly higher clocks is nothing to sniff at and I'll still upgrade for that but I may decide to wait for the X3D models this time

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
The speculated 25% IPC increase on 16-core CCXs with extended cache, along with reduced power consumption, could potentially lead to a game-changing outcome. Intel is trying to do what it does best BS marketing - Just like the 48 core 5ghz [ with the phazzed chiller .... ]

8 core CCx not 16

Soldato
OP
First zen 5 benchmark

128 zen5 cores gives 123k cinebench r23 score. Operating at 3.85ghz and with 512mb L3 cache. This is slightly faster than the 110k score that Zen4 EPYC Genoa gets, which also has 512mb L3 cache and a clock speed of 3.75ghz

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
The biggest issue for me is that clocknspeed; there's just no way to know if it's accurate in windows and whether or not that's the clocks under load or idle. I've seen a lot of engineering sample cpu leaks over the last few years and what is common amongst them is that the first couple ES revisions have extremely low clocks - for example I've seen an Intel CPU go from 1.6ghz on an ES to over 5ghz at launch.

If the windows clock speed is accurate, then zen5 is quite far along already and this is likely not an early engineering sample and a Zen5 launch is closer than people expect.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Good video thanks.

Yes, the game runs perfectly good with E-Cores off, i thought i made that clear? :)

Looks like Intel know about it now so it should get fixed, soon hopefully, with 4.6 million Star Citizens its in their interest....

4.6 million

Wow, it's so easy to scam people these days

Soldato
OP
Some strange answers there

Like AMD saying they'd like to offer more than 16 cores for Ryzen 8000 desktop, but can't due to memory bandwidth restrictions on the dual channel platform. Mhm... that's odd given 16 cores worked fine on DDR4 with 30-40GB/s and now we have DDR5 doing ~100GB/s and he's saying it's too little bandwidth for increasing core count lmao

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Never mentioned Zen 4C cores, they are essentially just shrunk down Zen 4 cores from what I've read.

I was just commenting that AMD is not going to follow Intel, and integrate E-cores (or similar) into their desktop CPUs.

Some people were speculating that they would use E-cores for Zen 5, I'm glad they decided against the idea.

Well they can't anyway apparently, because the guy from amd said the platform doesn't have enough bandwidth to support more than 16 cores anyway, so not having E cores isn't even choice, but at a fact of the system limitations. This is further made clear when one of the guy's main reasons for "choosing" not to have E cores is because Windows sucks at the thread scheduling and he specifically mentions Intel does fine but AMD doesn't want to make its own thread director and all of this after the guy acknowledged that E cores make sense and save power on laptops but again they won't happen because AMD doesn't want to create a software solution to fix threading issues and the platform cant support more cores anyway.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom