• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 5 rumours

Soldato
OP
I think those are the ST speeds, not the MT. Anyways, I hope amd really fixes the mt performance in the 300-500 range, cause it lags a couple of generations behind

They are so far behind at the low end/entry level MT that there is no way to catch-up without adding more cores. The 8600x would need to be 8 cores, 8700x 10 cores

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Very signficant, if true:
"Perhaps the biggest announcement is that AMD has increased the maximum cores per CCX from 8 to 16".

There's a good reason for gamers to buy >8 CPU cores, as there won't be a latency penalty, performance should scale much more uniformly.

They need this to compete with Intel well, imo.

It's one of the things I considered as essential to improve on Zen 4. Essential for their sales + profits to increase also, so I'm sure this is something they are likely to want for Zen5.

Also, if the rumoured 16 core CCX is not used in desktop CPUs, then it's a huge waste of the design.

But MLID leak, so who knows. Trust, but verify*.

* Except for Russia's government, they can go to hell

According to MLID AMD has the 16 core ccx working but they may not use it. He gives a variety of options but the 8950x could still be 8+8 or it could be 16 or it could be 16+8 or 16+16. Basically he has no idea how many cores Zen5 desktop will have so he throws out every possible combo he can guess and then later he'll make a video saying "look guys I was right!"

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I think Zen 5 is going to be 4nm, according to the roadmap, with Zen 5 'C' cores presumably using 3nm.

Tsmc "4nm" is just a refined and more expensive version of their 5nm, and it's 5% to 10% better

They should have called it 5nm Pro Max or 5nm Ultra

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
AMD says it's considering using chiplets for APU's but for now are waiting for cost and power efficiency of chiplets to improve more

Soldato
OP
First Zen5 8950x benchmark leak, shows 10% improvement over 7950x in single core and 15% in multicore in Cinebench

Soldato
OP
Interesting to see if we get a similar uplift for the 8800X3D

X3D is all about gaming performance, unfortunately the link I posted only contains cinebench numbers which isn't particularly reflective of games. I plan on switching to one of the X3D chips myself

Soldato
OP
AMD has only publicly committed to AM5 supporting Zen4 and Zen5. Zen6 likely new socket, needing AM6.

Do you perhaps have a link to where they've committed to specific architectures?

The only one I could find is AMD saying they'll support AM5 through 2025, which I interpret as whatever CPUs are released until the end of 2025, be that ZenXYZ. So if Zen6 is not supported it would need to be released some time in 2026 and assuming Zen5 is 2024 that would be quite a long wait between Zen5 and 6 just to avoid the commitment to not bringing in AM6 till 2026

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Isn't ddr5 still maturing? I'm sure given world economy they might look to slow down release of a next gen cpu

This kind of thing is moving much faster than in previous years, the PCIE communication standard is even crazier

You know how we just got pcie5 boards like a year ago and most people are still on pcie4 right? Well pcie6 is already finished and pcie7 is now nearly finished as well

A lot of these things are speeding up only now because it's not a big change to make it faster and there was no need before. It's now mainly driven by data centres wanting faster storage drives, that's why we got gen5 when gen4 and even Gen 3 SSDs were perfectly capable for consumers. And in a couple years we'll have gen7 SSDs because data centres want them

It's a similar story with memory. DDR4 is perfectly fine for consumers, but data centres are asking for faster memory as it helps them so we moved to ddr5 and soon we'll have ddr6 ram as well even though we don't need it

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
but it would mean amd is going to increase its cycle lengths, purposely not launching Zen6 in 2025 so they can launch in 2026

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Zen5 leaks:

15% IPC, 20% higher ST and 20% higher MT versus 7950x

Zen 5 has normal core and Zen 5c little cores. Big cores support up to 8 core CCx while little core are 16. Little cores only used for laptop HX models.

Preliminary specs for top end

Ryzen 8950x: 16 big cores, two CCX
Ryzen 8950hx: 24 cores, two CCX - 8 big cores, 16 little cores

Big core CCx built on TSMC 4nm.
Little core CCX built on TSMC 3nm.

launching 1st half 2024

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
From the pictures on Twitter, it looks like CCX's now have 16 cores. If that transfers over to desktop chips, it'll be a significant change.

It does not. Desktop is 8 core only, 16 core CCX only for Epyc. Like I said zen5 not a significant improvement. When I say this I mean desktop zen5 won't be much improvement. Epyc Zen5 is a different story, AMD is giving its server CPUs newer tech before desktop gets it. Zen5 for desktop doesn't have the new ccx, and doesnt have more cores than zen4, main difference compared to zen4 is architecture IPC and maybe clock speed

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
He said they are "committing to the AM5 socket to 2025 and beyond" so they are not changing the socket in 2025, Zen 5 will be on AM5.

And AMD have said the same thing multiple times before, that's why we're confused by their constant press statements that don't promise anything new but are put out for marketing

Soldato
OP
DDR6 is still slated for 2025 right ? plus a year or two for adoption, so maybe Zen 6 will require a new socket, maybe not.

Changing memory is the only real reason to change socket unless they pull an Intel.

Is ddr6 available for servers yet? Thats a good way to know when desktop will get it, as new memory will be available for a servers 1/2 years before desktop. For example ddr5 for servers went on sale in October 2020 but we didn't get AM5 motherboards that can use ddr5 until September 2022, nearly 2 years later

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
This is completely wrong. DDR5 was first utilized by Intel 12th gen, many years before it was used in servers.

Could be the reverse for DDR6, though certainly no precedent that guarantees servers get it first.

DDR5 became available for sale in October 2020, Intel 12th Gen launched 1 year later. So again even if ddr6 launches in 2025 doesn't mean we'll have consumer products that support it, until later

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
New CPU's for AM4 were still being released this year, 6 years after launch.

To say we shouldn't trust what they say because they have said it multiple times before is not a good faith argument, they supported AM4 for longer than they promised.

What are you even talking about, I don't say they are lying, nor was I talking about am4. All I said AMD has said they are supporting AM5 to at least 2025 since AM5 was launched, and they repeat the same multiple times in different press statements since. And their statement just says we'll try longer 25 if we can, but doesn't promise anything and leaves room to easily launch AM6 with a new socket in 2026 and just blame needing extra pins or something.

As for trusting AMD, lmao, you guys never learn do you. Don't trust any business based on verbal off the cuff claims, if you do that you're a fool. The only time you can trust the process is when you have a legal contract and can sue the counter party.

"Trust me bro" is not a valid legal contract

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Was an agesa issue not an Asus issue, other board vendors had the same issues

The Asus bios did have some issues though because of the user tries to manually lower the voltage the bios would ignore the setting and go back to default voltage

Back
Top Bottom