• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD "Zen" thread (inc AM4/APU discussion) ***

Associate
I don't know how you are trying to justify people spending £250 to £350 on quad cores??

What you need to understand,is if the 8C/16T SKUs are £320 onwards,that means the 6C/12T ones are going to be £200 to £300.

Where do you think the 4C/4T and 4C/8T SKUs are going to be priced??

Most people are GPU limited in games and looking at the leaked pricing for the 4C/8T models,even if AMD only hits Haswell level IPC(or a bit more) and boost clocks of about 4GHZ on the top SKU,its still preferable to the overpriced Core i5 7600K which will cost more and add the fact that most gamers don't even overclock.

Look at some game tests from an actual gaming site,like Eurogamer:

http://i.imgur.com/FW0KpFV.png

FW0KpFV.png

Look where an the massively hyped Core i5 7600K is even against a Core i7 4790K at a lower clockspeed?? That is with an overclocked Titan X at 1080P.

Even an overclocked IB Core i7 holds its own.

People need to get over this obsession with MOAR MHZ and benchmarks at 720P.

Great example.

The days of getting away with 4c/4t are over.

But luckily you'll now be able to get 6c/12t from AMD for the same money :D

Caporegime
Haven't used an AMD CPU for about 15 years but it would good if that software was similar to GeForce Experience and it was able to detect if a game supported multiple threads and automatically clock only the ones that were needed for the best performance.

Soldato
The lower TDP is just a factor of it being clocked lower though. It doesn't necessarily imply that it can't reach the same speeds, as it only applies at stock. To use the Phenom II X6 lineup as an example, the 1055T clocked at under 3GHz had a 95W TDP, yet you could crank it up to 4GHz just like the 125W 1100T. It really depends on how/if AMD is aggressively binning the chips or not, which we won't know for a while until people have them and we start seeing what the average overclock is.
Yes but it does mean that it'll boost less aggressively at stock to stay within the TDP envelope. Of course if manually overclocking it should make no difference.

Agreed -look at the AMD overclocking software. It seems you can selective overclock cores,meaning for lightly threaded games,you can probably get higher clockspeeds.
We don't know yet what the limiting factor is for overclocking. It's possible that disabling half of the cores on an 8 core Ryzen doesn't actually improve the maximum clock speed attainable. Hopefully not though...

Associate
Agreed -look at the AMD overclocking software. It seems you can selective overclock cores,meaning for lightly threaded games,you can probably get higher clockspeeds.

Yeah, could make the 6-core particularly interesting.

If it's around £250, and can do 6-cores at 4.2 GHz or 4-cores at 4.5 GHz using the CPU tool. That'll be the best of most worlds for a heck of a lot of people.

Don't have a huge budget? Well it's i5 money
Want to do some semi-pro editing? Use 6c/12t
Want to play low-threaded games at max fps? Turn off 2 cores and crank up the Hz

Soldato
The Kabylake CPUs will still have their niche as the high locking single threaded games CPU of choice, but it's funny that with one release AMD has made Intel's latest product a niche product, and pretty much made their x99 platform largely irrelevant for anyone who wants it for the prestige but mainly wants to game on it.

I just can't fathom how your going to advise someone now that buying a Kabylake chip is the better option if they are an avid gamer of all types of games.

I dunno.... I just personally think that AMD is now the smarter more obvious choice for a CPU, especially if you want maximum performance per pound spent

I fully expect to see the general forum spec me requests full of AMD CPU biased builds

Caporegime
The Kabylake CPUs will still have their niche as the high locking single threaded games CPU of choice, but it's funny that with one release AMD has made Intel's latest product a niche product, and pretty much made their x99 platform largely irrelevant for anyone who wants it for the prestige but mainly wants to game on it.

I just can't fathom how your going to advise someone now that buying a Kabylake chip is the better option if they are an avid gamer of all types of games.

I dunno.... I just personally think that AMD is now the smarter more obvious choice for a CPU, especially if you want maximum performance per pound spent

I fully expect to see the general forum spec me requests full of AMD CPU biased builds

Intel will have to do some serious re-thinking of prices across their entire range.

Whilst I am really pleased that AMD have now got a competitive product at a great price, I am still frustrated about the lackluster IPC improvement we have seen for years. For all the good that Ryzen has, it still isn't an improvement over what we already have in anything other than price.

Hopefully AMD can build on the Ryzen platform and deliver meaningful frequency and IPC improvements over the next few years.

Soldato
I expect if Ryzen is competitive,this is what the discussion will move to:
1.)But,but Intel overclocks better !!
2.)Intel consume 5% less power
3.)The Intel CPU has already been out - AMD can only match an OLD INTEL CPU. AMD has IPC of ANCIENT Intel CPU.
4.)Intel can RUN 10GHZ RAM(out of spec)
5.)INTEL HAZ MOAR IPC
6.)INTEL has 3% higher boost clockspeeds
7.)But,but Intel overclocks BETTER!!
8.)The IGP on Core i7 chips will suddenly become more important
9.)Nobody needs 8 cores
10.)Quad channel memory is important in all scenarios
11.)If you don't have 28 PCI-E lanes at least,your graphics card will not run Tux Racer
12.)Pricing is not relevant

I repeated the IPC and MHZ claims twice since it will be suddenly very important to show how SUPER PI runs so much better on Intel.

Associate
No they don't. The X stands for XFR.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/amd-...hz-socket-am4-processor-retail-cp-39v-am.html

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/amd-...hz-socket-am4-processor-retail-cp-39w-am.html

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/amd-...hz-socket-am4-processor-retail-cp-39x-am.html

Read the marketing gumph and it's missing on the 1700 and specifically says on both the 1800X and 1700X:
  • "X" Version with automatic XFR overclocking

@iHATEMacs According to Gibbo, all 1700, 1700X & 1800X have XFR.....

So what I take from this is ALL Ryzen CPU's have XFR, every single one. The X editions are just high clocked versions of said CPU as Gibbo said.

TBH, I would put my house on @Gibbo knowing much more than anyone else in here about these CPU's, so I am taking his word for it.

EDIT: X meaning higher clock per amount of cores. So R3's with X are higher clocked than the base R3 and so on for R5's and R7's.

All three processors are the same, they all have XFR technology. The X varients have higher boost clocks hence the X, otherwise all three CPU's feature XFR and the only difference is clock speeds.

Last edited:
Associate
No they don't. The X stands for XFR.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/amd-...hz-socket-am4-processor-retail-cp-39v-am.html

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/amd-...hz-socket-am4-processor-retail-cp-39w-am.html

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/amd-...hz-socket-am4-processor-retail-cp-39x-am.html

Read the marketing gumph and it's missing on the 1700 and specifically says on both the 1800X and 1700X:
  • "X" Version with automatic XFR overclocking
That doesn't seem to be correct. I queried it earlier in the thread and Gibbo responded with
All three processors are the same, they all have XFR technology. The X varients have higher boost clocks hence the X, otherwise all three CPU's feature XFR and the only difference is clock speeds.
I did quote it earlier!

Also from bit-tech

AMD also confirmed that all Ryzen CPUs are unlocked for overclocking, but you'll need to wait until reviews are released to gauge the sort of speeds you can expect. On a related note, the three CPUs feature Extended Frequency Range (XFR), which, given the right thermal and power conditions, can boost the CPU past its official boost clock. Again, further details on this will need to wait until reviews go live.
https://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cpus/2017/02/22/amd-reveals-ryzen-7-cpu-lineup-and-pricing/1

Soldato
Ah, Hell with it - I'll only end up buying it anyway when the prices are higher / stock has run out, so I guess I'll pre-order. I'm on an FX-8350 so it's going to be a major boost regardless. What's the difference between the B350 and the X370 chipsets?

Associate
personally i dont get why ppl are disapointed with the 5.1Ghz on LN2, they are 8 cores at 5.1GHZ and with that they set a new cinebench world record that's not bad.
and as i said before multi core/threading is really good on Ryzen, you practically getting the best high end performance on the market.
if you mainly use 1 or 2 cores for games or what have you, you can overclock the cores you need as high as 5Ghz on air, and will probably beat most intel CPUs.
i know reviews are not out yet, but for me Rzen have already succeeded, it has huge value, and best perf/$ for single and multi threaded.

Soldato
Ah, Hell with it - I'll only end up buying it anyway when the prices are higher / stock has run out, so I guess I'll pre-order. I'm on an FX-8350 so it's going to be a major boost regardless. What's the difference between the B350 and the X370 chipsets?
B350 is the economy overclocking option

Back
Top Bottom