1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

*** AMD "Zen" thread (inc AM4/APU discussion) ***

Discussion in 'CPUs' started by Boomstick777, Apr 10, 2015.

1. Boomstick777

Capodecina

Well the APU's just aren't there yet. When they are I'll buy one lol.

Consider it watching the APU space with interest, an all in one APU that can game def appeals to me. Less power use / Less to cool etc run quieter. I hope AMD gets it right next year.

2. Bonjour

Sgarrista

Would make for a great 1080p Steam Box.

3. Boomstick777

Capodecina

The next generation Opteron has 32 Zen x86 cores

http://fudzilla.com/news/processors/37564-the-next-generation-opteron-has-32-zen-x86-cores

4. DragonQ

Soldato

Wait, they showed Zen? I thought we knew next to nothing about Zen (aside from the fact that it returns to traditional x86-64 cores with an AMD version of HyperThreading)?

5. humbug

Caporegime

6. SiDeards73

Soldato

hot damn, imagine if someone could actually program a dx12 game to take advantage of as many threads as available? one of those badboys and a few gpu's would be mental

7. r7slayer

Mobster

that would be overkill. I doubt a game could possibly make use of more than 16 threads even with Dx12.

8. Orangey

Sgarrista

They'd probably be very weak.

9. Yamahahahahaha

Mobster

We need IPC much closer to Intel's designs which means a much shorter pipeline and an performance / watt ratio which beats Intel. Coupled with that, we need those chips to support at least 512GB of RAM per socket - ideally 1TB if they're going to be competitive in the high density space.

I'm quietly hopeful but I wouldn't be surprised if these fall short of the mark.

10. Orangey

Sgarrista

11. SiDeards73

Soldato

These Zen chips are sounding more and more interesting, i was so torn when i bought my 4770k, but i just could not justify the performance of the 8 core AMD stuff.

However if AMD have pulled their socks up with this new Zen architechture and its atleast within 3% of the equivalent Intel model in regards to all round performance, then im jumping on to it.

12. Sandycheeks

Wise Guy

Why ?

13. SiDeards73

Soldato

Because i prefer AMD as a company than Intel? Intel have had market domination for far too long, same as Nvidia in the gpu sector and i prefer to support the little guy, without AMD we would all be paying alot more for CPU and GPU's

that is why.

14. Bonjour

Sgarrista

Why not?

15. SiDeards73

Soldato

AMD chips aren't that bad, problem is the Piledriver series was seen as the new hope to fight Intel and it was a massive let down

If AMD can bring something to the table that's in the same region of performance as the equivalent Intel chip it will be a winner, AMD chips are generally cheaper for a start, add on Dx12 And I bet you start noticing little to no difference between the actual CPU in performance although this is just my theory and I could be wrong

16. mmj_uk

Capodecina

With so many rumoured cores surely this is going to be based on Kabini or some other low workrate core?

17. philo-sofa

Gangster

Regarding the 'weak cores' issue what do you guys think about this possibility?

At first glance any program using less than four threads appears doomed to use just one quarter of its 14nm silicon. The deeper truth, that looks may be deceptive here, comes from both Intuition and some of the Alchemy of modern chip design.

We know from several recent processors that silicon is starting to be designed to ‘wrap-up’ multiple cores. This Alchemy is the opposite of hyperthreading - from the user’s standpoint - in that a cluster of cores are stacked up to work as a single core, when the processor deems that to be optimal. This looks plausible because one can easily look at a diagram (or even a picture) of a CPU, see how the data flows and reach valid conclusions on how the whole schebang fits together. In a real life (i.e. Google) map, areas that wish to feed traffic into other areas, must be close by and be well connected, a maxim processor topology fits. The slide shows a bloody ginormous Level 3 cache interconnecting with four cores; the design Alchemy on display here would be just right to have those four cores function as one. Zen could be very clever and with Intel having done some water treading since 2011, Zen could be very competitive.

18. Minstadave

Capodecina

There's been rumours about a CPU that can use multiple cores processing single threads for years and nothing has ever materialised.

Would be v. interesting if true.

19. eddiew

Wise Guy

I'm still reeling from the great Bulldozer hype collapse of '11... :S

But I agree that in absolute terms, AMD chips are generally 'good enough' for the majority of people, especially non-gamers. I wouldn't touch any of the current crop myself though, since most of what I play favours a meaty CPU with good single-thread capability ^^;

I'd love the next AMD chip to be a beast though, since Intel clearly can't be bothered making anything faster in desktop space...

20. eddiew

Wise Guy

I have a strong suspicion this would be very, very situational and completely dependant on the code being executed. Some instructions just don't make sense in parallel, and if you force it in without the original programmer having expected it, all sorts of weirdness might break loose :S

Not that I wouldn't be fascinated it if happened, I just reckon it'll be a really unpredictable animal that 'sometimes' makes code run 'a bit' faster, and other times massively breaks the program :)