• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD "Zen" thread (inc AM4/APU discussion) ***

Permabanned
I appreciate this.

I'm not trying to be funny about anything but for me £800 is a lot of money to part with and I just want to know what I'm getting for my dolla!

If you could also check the TDP whether you can manually alter it on the 1700 or if it's restricted to 65w if it is, and only the 1700x and 1800x are 95w then it will pretty much clear up the confusion for me.

Basically I'm under the impression that I could buy a 1700 and turn it manually into the 1800x by removing the TDP limit and upping clocks.

I have my basket ready to click buy just need to clear a few things up :)

Which motherboard are you getting.......

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

I've got a 1700 ordered, I'm wondering if the 1700x is likely to overclock further and if I should swap my pre order, from the base specs there appears to be pretty much no difference if you OC both chips as the boost is only 100mhz higher on the X. Maybe a stronger mem controller also?

Maybe, I dunno, if you'd have waited for reviews before ordering you'd know?

I know, not helpful :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Soldato
i wonder if smt can be turned off reducing heat and less power to increase overclocking, i know with my old i7 920, with ht off it would overclock higher, im thinking 8 threads will be more than enough gaming

Associate
Will test another 1700 but they so have XFR, it seems confusion from AMD!

The X means higher boost clock and thermal TDP to allow higher boost in the XFR mode. But they all have XFR it just more limited on 1700 due to it being 65W.

Yes thanks for your time on this gibbo

I think that the zen yield to get high clocks at the right volts for the 1700x and 1800x on the wafer where not so good hence we have the 1700 at low tdp low price ....would not surprise me that the 1700 required voltage is too high to get too 1700x 1800x hence the locked tdp ect

Associate
Not sure if being ironic, that's what most reviews are with very few exceptions lol
Would be worse. Or rather we'd see gpu and cpu reviews at the same level as keyboard reviews. "The lights switch on and it sounds clicky. Available now for 99.99" as opposed to "here's half a dozen bench marks, tested against half a dozen competing products and 3 different clock settings"

Soldato
I would swap the motherboard for the Asus Crosshair 6 as Gibbo already stated this is the board they used to hit 4.0, you are going to need the absolute best vrms to do that, don't skimp on the motherboard.

To be honest you are probably better off buying the 1800X for garunteed 4ghz and go for a B350 board imo

Soldato
Would be worse. Or rather we'd see gpu and cpu reviews at the same level as keyboard reviews. "The lights switch on and it sounds clicky. Available now for 99.99" as opposed to "here's half a dozen bench marks, tested against half a dozen competing products and 3 different clock settings"

Heh, given the disparity between boards on the overclocking front - we need to see what is happening with some of the lower end boards. If the VRM truely is struggling when in tow with overclocking, I'd like to see a current ramp. Given the low TDP, it seems odd.

Permabanned
I would swap the motherboard for the Asus Crosshair 6 as Gibbo already stated this is the board they used to hit 4.0, you are going to need the absolute best vrms to do that, don't skimp on the motherboard.

To be honest you are probably better off buying the 1800X for garunteed 4ghz and go for a B350 board imo

Which is the best B350 motherboard?

My current build:

Asus ROG Crosshair VI Hero AMD X370 (Socket AM4) DDR4 ATX Motherboard
£249.95*

AMD Ryzen 7 Eight Core 1800X 4.00GHz (Socket AM4) Processor - Retail
£488.99*

Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut High Performance Thermal Paste - 5.5g / 1.5 ml
£12.95*

Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 PC4-21300C16 2666MHz Dual Channel Kit - Black (CMK32GX4M2A2
£239.99*

Considering dropping the processor to the 1700x

Soldato
I think that the zen yield to get high clocks at the right volts for the 1700x and 1800x on the wafer where not so good hence we have the 1700 at low tdp low price ....would not surprise me that the 1700 required voltage is too high to get too 1700x 1800x hence the locked tdp ect

If that's the case I would assume you'll end up with 1700s mostly clocked at a max of 4.0 and 1800x around 4.2-4.3. Something like 5%-8% more performance for around 50% higher cost. I suppose if you factor in a top tier x370 board for the 1700 compared to a mid/upper tier x370 board for the 1800x, it's more tempting to shell out on the top end CPU.

Associate

Appreciate the suggestion but it would put me way over budget.
My basket at Overclockers UK:

Total: £967.91
(includes shipping: £0.00)

I can't justify that cost.

At best I would do this

My basket at Overclockers UK:

Total: £848.90
(includes shipping: £0.00)

For me that's the absolute most I will push to.

Unless I make £200 in the next week outside of work (Which may actually be a possibility) I wont be getting a 1800x

Soldato
Any thoughts on coolers? I'm leaning towards the BeQuiet Silent Loop, but only because NZXT aren't likely to have an AM4 bracket out for a while. Or would the DH-15 be a better option?

I need a new cooler as Fractal aren't going to be doing a bracket for my S36.

Associate
?? Its a 65W TDP 8C chip running at stock clockspeeds with no XFR. Don't you get it probably is hitting a TDP limit at 65W??

The 95W TDP models will be running at a much higher clockspeed anyway - the R7 1800X has a 20% increase in base clockspeeds.

If this is what a 65W TDP 8C is doing,I hate to think what the 95W 4C and 6C models will do - they will be running at much higher clockspeeds.

This

i'll keep quiet now :/.

Back
Top Bottom