• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD "Zen" thread (inc AM4/APU discussion) ***

Soldato
Again from the links in the previous post, pcgamer has the 7700k even overclocked showing a 5fps gain on a 3Ghz base clock, 3.5Ghz single core boost 6950k. So where do you think a 3.6Ghz base clock 1800x will end up?

In the other link, at lower resolution and settings, in DX11 the 7700k loses at both resolutions, in DX12 the 7700k wins in 720p but loses in 1080p.

But that is one of two wins(if you can call it a win) the 7700k shows. However across say 10 games, it loses the majority of games. It's that simple, most gamers don't in fact play a single game and winning in most games, and winning more of the most modern games is simply showing that more than 4 cores is not just a waste, but provides the best performance.

As for the ridiculous biased nature of what you're saying, the only one of all those games that isn't an AMD benchmark is BF1 lol... like Civilization, Fallout 4, Far Cry, The Witcher 3... sure, all AMD benchmarks.

Nail on the head, but it seems many either choose to ignore or don't want to be told facts. It's very puzzling, more than a few people on here sticking their fingers in their ears and going "la-la-la-la-la-la"... ;)

Associate
well i'm just happy this has shaken up the CPU market, its a win win for everyone whether an AMD or intel fan... lets not fall down to the GPU fan boys levels in this thread :) haha
People were for so long milked by Intel that there is a lot of us happy for AMD as we had no choice. And so happy with Intel future upgrade they have announced before... "+15% = 4.8 GHz boost clock" so that AMD can grab even more of the market.

All the fairy tales that multibillion $ company can't figure out thermal paste while cheaper cpus from amd are soldered...punishment is comming.

Associate
People were for so long milked by Intel that there is a lot of us happy for AMD as we had no choice. And so happy with Intel future upgrade they have announced before... "+15% = 4.8 GHz boost clock" so that AMD can grab even more of the market.

All the fairy tales that multibillion $ company can't figure out thermal paste while cheaper cpus from amd are soldered...punishment is comming.

Agreed that is why i threw my money at AMD this time round :) i love being a guinea pig :)

Soldato
Gonna be a long tedious month or more waiting for the hex cores.

There are quad cores eventually but leaks seem to suggest only the hex and octa cores will have a top end boost to 4GHz at stock. Also quad seems highly unattractive as an upgrade.

Buy le memory now and not much else besides twiddle thumbs. Maybe buy a cheap case to hold old system unless I try to sell it.

Looking for a ballpark 250 on cpu and 150 on a good mATX for the top end 6 core. Think that's about what I paid for my i5 ages ago.

Hype definitely made the 8 core seem attractive but its too steep to get that highest clock speed. Rather get the clocks in with 2 cores less, not as if I have a current recreational or work bottleneck that I'm trying to solve with extra threads.

Associate
8 Pack is aware of Gibbo's situation back at AMD HQ in the panic room. Purposefully he is saying pro Intel things to get Gibbo more punishment! :p

Confirmed from inside sources, every time 8 pack mentions Intel Gibbo is being water boarded in the AMD basement...

Stay strong Gibbo..

Soldato
Nice to have some competition in the CPU market :)

Definitely looking at getting a Ryzen 5 or 7 as an upgrade from my 2500k
Am going to wait to see how the overclocks are on these (also how motherboards compare).
They still look good in comparison to intel, even @ stock clocks :D

AMD Hype train :cool:

Soldato
Again from the links in the previous post, pcgamer has the 7700k even overclocked showing a 5fps gain on a 3Ghz base clock, 3.5Ghz single core boost 6950k. So where do you think a 3.6Ghz base clock 1800x will end up?

In the other link, at lower resolution and settings, in DX11 the 7700k loses at both resolutions, in DX12 the 7700k wins in 720p but loses in 1080p.

But that is one of two wins(if you can call it a win) the 7700k shows. However across say 10 games, it loses the majority of games. It's that simple, most gamers don't in fact play a single game and winning in most games, and winning more of the most modern games is simply showing that more than 4 cores is not just a waste, but provides the best performance.

As for the ridiculous biased nature of what you're saying, the only one of all those games that isn't an AMD benchmark is BF1 lol... like Civilization, Fallout 4, Far Cry, The Witcher 3... sure, all AMD benchmarks.

Don't worry its not important now since AMD is the first to six and eight cores on a consumer platform. Wait until Coffee Lake is out with 6C/12T CPUs on the next Intel consumer platform - suddenly 4C/8T will be old hat and MOAR cores will be more important.

Suspended
Don't worry its not important now since AMD is the first to six and eight cores on a consumer platform. Wait until Coffee Lake is out with 6C/12T CPUs on the next Intel consumer platform - suddenly 4C/8T will be old hat and MOAR cores will be more important.

Intel 6C 12T Coffee Lake will probably replace the 7700K as the top end consumer chip, so we are still looking at £350+, probably £370 or knocking on for £400 by that time, Intel are too proud and too greedy to admit their pricing is too high.

I don't care, the 1600X will probably make the best gaming and production platform by a country mile at a far lower cost than a 5 times rehashed Intel architecture.

Soldato
Intel 6C 12T Coffee Lake will probably replace the 7700K as the top end consumer chip, so we are still looking at £350+, probably £370 or knocking on for £400 by that time, Intel are too proud and too greedy to admit their pricing is too high.

I don't care, the 1600X will probably make the best gaming and production platform by a country mile at a far lower cost than a 5 times rehashed Intel architecture.

Intel will justify what their customers will pay - so people justifying that the Core i7 7700K is the bestest CPU in the world at £350,will only be doing Intel marketing a favour.

Associate
"Better" is subjective though.

I can see the AMD R5 1600x 6c/12t (£260) and 1400x 4c/8t (£200) being just as good in most games as the 1700/1700x/1800x at the moment

If they offer 80-90% of the performance of an i7 7700k at anywhere between £60-£150 cheaper then to me it's no competition, the "better" CPU for me is the one that offers 80-90% of the performance for significantly cheaper
prices will be 130-200£ for 7700 direct competitor, the sub 120£ market will be left for FX and old APU to clear out the stock.
ppl are arguing about the i 7700, but however you put it, Ryzen brings much more value no matter the SKUs you compare it with, thanks to intel, that after all these years they emedded in ppl's minds that more cores/more threads, is the Elite enthusiats grade, maybe for you and me there are subtle differences we can argue about, but to a lot of ppl out there, they are getting a thousand dollar cpu for half the price, + a lot of ppl will see the ability to upgrade the cpu later on without having to buy another motherboard.
to me personnaly i see more value of what a Ryzen 1700 brings compared to what an i 7700 brings, i rather have 10% less fps in some games, and have 10% more in multi-core games, and have double performance in multi-threaded application, and grunt for multi tasking, and on top of it i am saving money on the cpu and futur upgrade.

Soldato
prices will be 130-200£ for 7700 direct competitor, the sub 120£ market will be left for FX and old APU to clear out the stock.
ppl are arguing about the i 7700, but however you put it, Ryzen brings much more value no matter the SKUs you compare it with, thanks to intel, that after all these years they emedded in ppl's minds that more cores/more threads, is the Elite enthusiats grade, maybe for you and me there are subtle differences we can argue about, but to a lot of ppl out there, they are getting a thousand dollar cpu for half the price, + a lot of ppl will see the ability to upgrade the cpu later on without having to buy another motherboard.
to me personnaly i see more value of what a Ryzen 1700 brings compared to what an i 7700 brings, i rather have 10% less fps in some games, and have 10% more in multi-core games, and have double performance in multi-threaded application, and grunt for multi tasking, and on top of it i am saving money on the cpu and futur upgrade.

It won't matter what AMD does - they could hit Broadwell level IPC in games,and overclock to 4.5GHZ,and people will still say how that extra 10% or slightly more in Super Pi,or some ancient game is worth so much more.

There is a CPU for such people - its called the Core i3 7350K.

Look at something like Planetside 2 - me and another poster had a discussion in this thread about it. Even moving to an overclocked SKL Core i7 from an overclocked Core i7 didn't fix the massive performance drops during certain large battles. Games like EVE:Online use time dilation during large battles. Even Diablo3 could lead to big frame drops in its earlier versions during certain battles on even overclocked Core i7s.

Its all fine and dandy just comparing percentages - but at some point you are just throwing money at games using decrepit engines which were designed in a different era.

Plus people don't seem to get almost all the review sites use overclocked £1000 cards at 720P and 1080P to test CPU bottlenecks.

Most people don't own a £1000 graphics card let alone a £600 one and Steam shows this.

Last edited:
Caporegime
The Ryzen Master software looks interesting, can overclock individual cores:

http://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-7-1800x-overclocking-performance/

It would take a lot of tuning but I wonder if you could find the max of each core and then set profiles for different uses, i.e max the four strongest cores for gaming, or a lower clock for all 8 cores in heavily multithreaded apps for temp management/efficiency.

Would be interesting to see what could be done with such granular control of core speeds.

Back
Top Bottom